Thread: Amph orgasm

Post Thanks / Like

Default Amph orgasm

The "guitar face" says it all here folks.
    HUGE tone in a small box.
    My goodness, I need one of these.

Post Thanks / Like

You ain't kiddin',So many amph's so little money,Man now I'm got GAS,that Mesa,that sweet Victoria,and now this Z,crap!!! Sumi
    Guitars,Warmoth Tele,90's Fender Strat Plus/Fender CV 50's Tele/Parker p-36/Fretlight/Custom Strat(Fender body/warmoth Clapton neck,tonerider pups)Larrivee L03 mahogany acoustic

Amphs/66 Super Reverb/60's Bandmaster head and 2/12 cab/Blues jr//epi valve jr/supro super/ ZT lunchbox/Mahaffay Little Laneilei 3350/Pignose g40v

Pedals/Voods Rodent/MXR carbon copy/Duncan Pickup booster/Ts9/Rat/ts10/Line 6 tone port uk2
    Line 6 M13

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Hm, not bad at all. Pretty excellent singing lead tone. But, I never felt it was hard to get that, my Ceria for instance screams and sustains/feedbacks forever just like this thingy. BUT the challenge lies in how to make the amp do that and also stay tight and focused in rhythm. All the rhythm played here is just as in this kind of amps usually, a big 'blaaarrrbbb' with no focus or tightness at all, maybe fine for blues but sucks big time for anything else.

But a great lead tone, yep. Maybe a solidbody with EMG's would bring enough clarity and bite to the rhythm to make this sound good in that as well? I can only guess.
    Dee

"When life's a biatch, be a horny dog"

Amps: Marshall JVM 410H w/ Plexi Cap mod, Choke Mod & Negative Feedback Removal mod, 4x12", Behringer GMX110, Amplitube 3/StealthPedal

Half a dozen custom built/bastardized guitars all with EMG's, mostly 85's, Ibanez Artwood acoustic & Yamaha SGR bass, Epiphone Prophecy SG, Vox Wah, Pitchblack tuner plus assorted pedals, rack gear etc. for home studio use.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by deeaa
    Hm, not bad at all. Pretty excellent singing lead tone. But, I never felt it was hard to get that, my Ceria for instance screams and sustains/feedbacks forever just like this thingy. BUT the challenge lies in how to make the amp do that and also stay tight and focused in rhythm. All the rhythm played here is just as in this kind of amps usually, a big 'blaaarrrbbb' with no focus or tightness at all, maybe fine for blues but sucks big time for anything else.

But a great lead tone, yep. Maybe a solidbody with EMG's would bring enough clarity and bite to the rhythm to make this sound good in that as well? I can only guess.
    You know, I'm starting to get what you mean by this. I think the deceiving part is that when playing by myself, I actually love that sort of roaring chord sound. The problem is that it isn't the most practical band sound.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    Does anyone read the original post?
    Guitars: Gibson LP Studio, MIA Fender Precision, Carvin C350
    Amps: Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 + Avatar B212 / Genzler 12-3, Acoustic B20
    Pedals: Pod HD500X, Diamond Compressor, Tech 21 VT Bass, Sonic Research Turbo Tuner

Post Thanks / Like

Mike Zaite's been making great amps for years now, and this one is just another example.

It may get pretty much one variable tone, but oh, what a tone it is!
    Ah, nothing relieves the discomfort of GAS pains like the sound of the UPS truck rumbling down your street. It's like the musician's Beano.

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

Hmm, I think I can do something similar with my Marshall Class 5 and Hagstrom Viking... lemme see...
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Robert
    Hmm, I think I can do something similar with my Marshall Class 5 and Hagstrom Viking... lemme see...
    You mean you can make the same faces???

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Eric
    You know, I'm starting to get what you mean by this. I think the deceiving part is that when playing by myself, I actually love that sort of roaring chord sound. The problem is that it isn't the most practical band sound.
    Exactly! Works superb for a guitar hero whose sound dominates the whole band, but not the best for normal rhythm etc. And I do also like a big chord sound, and I do that mostly by playing full chords and sweeping through them just slightly slower so they really ring out.
    Dee

"When life's a biatch, be a horny dog"

Amps: Marshall JVM 410H w/ Plexi Cap mod, Choke Mod & Negative Feedback Removal mod, 4x12", Behringer GMX110, Amplitube 3/StealthPedal

Half a dozen custom built/bastardized guitars all with EMG's, mostly 85's, Ibanez Artwood acoustic & Yamaha SGR bass, Epiphone Prophecy SG, Vox Wah, Pitchblack tuner plus assorted pedals, rack gear etc. for home studio use.

Post Thanks / Like

the majority of that sustain is no doubt from the hollowbody... a friend of mine had an old danelectro hollow with lipstick pickups ,,,good grief, that thing would not quit sustaining no matter what the volume ! to the point of uncontrolable !..I couldn't help turning japanese every time I plugged it in.
    guitars-esp m1,esp vintage plus strat,85 gibson LP std,Hamer std,hagstrom xl-5,takamine 330r
    amps-egnater tweaker,epi vj w/brat mod
    efx-byoc/dvm comp, j cantrell wah,ocd,catalinbread dls,wampler plextortion,ibanez chorus,tech21 boost dla

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry guys, I really wasn't commenting so much on the amp itself...but more on the ridiculous guitar face and the fun he's having.

As for amp--Yeah, that's probably not the best use of a Doctor Z. I'd like to hear that Monza with some more realistic overdrive tones.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Andy
    the majority of that sustain is no doubt from the hollowbody... a friend of mine had an old danelectro hollow with lipstick pickups ,,,good grief, that thing would not quit sustaining no matter what the volume ! to the point of uncontrolable !..I couldn't help turning japanese every time I plugged it in.
    Exactly..... I can get my Agile semi-hollow to do that with most any amph, given the right note and angle to the speaker cab. That Z does sound superb tho, no doubt. They are excellent.
    Guitars
    Wilburn Versatare, '52 FrankenTele(Fender licensed parts), Fender USA Roadhouse Strat, Fender USA Standard B-bender Telecaster, Agile AL 3000 w/ WCR pickups, Ibanez MIJ V300 Acoustic, Squier Precision Bass,
    Amps
    Ceriatone Overtone Special, Musicman 212 Sixty-Five, Fender Blues Jr., Peavey Classic 30, Fender Super Reverb, Traynor YCV-40 WR Anniversary w/ matching 1x12 ext. cab, Epiphone SoCal 50w head w/ matching 4x12 cab (Lady Luck speakers), Avatar 2x12 semi-open back cab w/ Celestion speakers
    Pedals
    Digitech Bad Monkey, Digitech Jamman, DVM's ZYS, Goodrich volume pedal

Post Thanks / Like

thats some tone right there. Kinda like what I try to get my pro jr to do

Post Thanks / Like

sweet tone, no doubt. But 1400 bones is a chunk o' change.
    "It's never too late to be what you might have been" - Eliot

Guilars: '02 Heritage H-535 ASB; '04 Larrivée LV-03 w/Fishman Blend; '95 Washburn/Bourgeios D-55SW Cherokee
    Amphs: Boogie DC-2; DVM/BYOC Tweed Champlifier; Marshall AS50D
    Currently on Board: Ditto Looper; Boss TU-2; EB VP Jr; crybaby; DVM Spring Fever; DVM Mini Klone, Brena Effects Cali-Tremor tremolo; Strymon El Capistan