Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
Second opinions

Thread: Second opinions

Post Thanks / Like

Default Second opinions

Im looking for a new chorus pedal. However, evertime Ive convinced myself this is the one. I'll stagger upon another or hesitate at the checkout process. Here is a list of the one's Ive researched and looked at. The only chorus pedal close enough to check out personaly is a behringer and I dont want that.

MXR ZW38 Zakk Wylde Chorus
    Electro Harmonics Small Clone
    MXR M148 Micro Chorus
    DeltaLab SC1 Stero Chorus
    Ibanez Tone Lok CF7 Chorus/Flanger
    Modtone MT-CH Auqua Chorus

I play whatever tickles my fancy that day. Could be something as old as Buddy Holly or something as heavy as Slayer. So its just gotta fit me. When I change styles I dont tinker with my amp cos I dont try to duplicate a guys tone I just play the song with my tone. If the Ibanez was like the orginaly which I had, Id already of ordered it. But the orginal you could set it to play both flang and chorus and from the pictures and reviews Ive found this is no longer a option. I really like the Zakk Wylde Chorus but I want to find "my" setting and leave it alone and Im afraid it will have to much versaility and I'll need to add more than 1 once I got playing with it. I always wanted a Small Clone cos of my ties to Nirvana and Cobain but I dont really play grunge any more. The DeltaLab and Modtone sounds good on you tube but the reviews are weak. Ive got $100 to play with, so anything in that range not listed Id be more than willing to check out if anyone has a additional suggestion.

Post Thanks / Like

I havent played a lot of chorus pedals, but I have a ibanez cs9. Sounds great, to my limited experience with it. I don't use it much, but it does great for what I use it for. They can still be had on ebay under $100, got mine for $65. I use a boss cs1 for my acoustic sets, totally different sound and not really as pretty with my electrics.

Post Thanks / Like

I also use the Ibanez cs9,,it's not as swirly as alot of other models tend to be but it excels with that,, just enough subtle chorus and blends in nice with both cleans and distortion. I run the knobs right at 12:00 and that seems to be it's sweet spot in my setup.

it does add a tiny bit of high end when engaged, that may turn off some tone purists, It works great thru the effects loop of my tweaker...much cleaner than in front.
    guitars-esp m1,esp vintage plus strat,85 gibson LP std,Hamer std,hagstrom xl-5,takamine 330r
    amps-egnater tweaker,epi vj w/brat mod
    efx-byoc/dvm comp, j cantrell wah,ocd,catalinbread dls,wampler plextortion,ibanez chorus,tech21 boost dla

Post Thanks / Like

I know some people are anti-digital, but I like my Digitech Chorus Factory. Gives you just about any level/type of chorus that your little heart could desire. I really like what I've heard of the Hardwire one too.
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like

DVM's Ever-Expanding Gear List:

Guitars - W-A-A-A-Y-Y too many to list. Check 'em all out HERE

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

Well, if I may put my two cents worth in here, I have the DOD FX65 which is a stereo chorus, I like it alot. Even though they were made in the 80s and 90s, it is one of the best chorus pedals I have heard, the adjustable delay knob really adds some kick to it and thickens up the sound when you turn it up. Just a suggestion for ya, lotsa them on eBay.
    "...and I am outta here!"
    Scott

Guitars:
    Dean EVO Exotic Burl, EVO Special, Vendetta 1000 FR, Stagg Les Paul copy, Squier Standard Telecaster, Squier MIK Stratocaster
    Amps:
    Fender Princeton 65 (solid state), Vox AD15VT, Peavey Windsor Studio, Crate Vintage Club 50 2x12
    Pedals:
    DOD FX40B (x2), FX50, FX52, FX55, FX65, FX67, FX80
    Washburn LSESLD, LSBOD
    BBE Free Fuzz
    Behringer EM300, VP1, PH9
    Dunlop GCB-95
    ProCo Rat II "The Rat"
    DigiTech Bad Monkey, RP90
    Rockman Soloist
    and many, many, many more!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DeanEVO_Dude
    Well, if I may put my two cents worth in here, I have the DOD FX65 which is a stereo chorus, I like it alot. Even though they were made in the 80s and 90s, it is one of the best chorus pedals I have heard, the adjustable delay knob really adds some kick to it and thickens up the sound when you turn it up. Just a suggestion for ya, lotsa them on eBay.
    Yep. My wife picked up a FX64 at a church rummage sale (for ten bucks IIRC)
    She called me at work first and asked if I wanted it, she knows I like that kinda stuff........."those pedal that make the different sounds", as she calls 'em.
    The chorus is nice on the old DOD's, and they are generally built to be stepped on, not cheap plastic toys.
    Guitars
    Wilburn Versatare, '52 FrankenTele(Fender licensed parts), Fender USA Roadhouse Strat, Fender USA Standard B-bender Telecaster, Agile AL 3000 w/ WCR pickups, Ibanez MIJ V300 Acoustic, Squier Precision Bass,
    Amps
    Ceriatone Overtone Special, Musicman 212 Sixty-Five, Fender Blues Jr., Peavey Classic 30, Fender Super Reverb, Traynor YCV-40 WR Anniversary w/ matching 1x12 ext. cab, Epiphone SoCal 50w head w/ matching 4x12 cab (Lady Luck speakers), Avatar 2x12 semi-open back cab w/ Celestion speakers
    Pedals
    Digitech Bad Monkey, Digitech Jamman, DVM's ZYS, Goodrich volume pedal

Post Thanks / Like

I couldnt decide so I order a digitech RP255. Figure this will let me tinker with several diffrent options and attempt to fine tune just what Im looking for. The chorus in this unit is based off these 3
    Boss® *CE-2 Chorus
    DigiTech® Dual Chorus
    DigiTech® Multi Chorus

Plus I figured with all the bells and whistles in this. If I decide to go individual pedals at a later time. I should have a better idea of what I want.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by oldguy
    Yep. My wife picked up a FX64 at a church rummage sale (for ten bucks IIRC)...
    I had the FX64, I didn't care that much for it, just didn't sound right for me. For the most part, the later DOD pedals (made in China) are more solid from a build stand point (battery door is attached, on-off footswitch seems more solid), but they are lacking a little in the sound department, just can't seem to put my finger on exactly what, though. But the FX64 seems to be one of the higher rated ones... Cool find.
    Scott

Guitars:
    Dean EVO Exotic Burl, EVO Special, Vendetta 1000 FR, Stagg Les Paul copy, Squier Standard Telecaster, Squier MIK Stratocaster
    Amps:
    Fender Princeton 65 (solid state), Vox AD15VT, Peavey Windsor Studio, Crate Vintage Club 50 2x12
    Pedals:
    Washburn LSESLD, LSBOD
    BBE Free Fuzz
    Dunlop GCB-95
    ProCo Rat II "The Rat"
    Rockman Soloist

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jx2
    I couldnt decide so I order a digitech RP255. Figure this will let me tinker with several diffrent options and attempt to fine tune just what Im looking for. The chorus in this unit is based off these 3
    Boss® *CE-2 Chorus
    DigiTech® Dual Chorus
    DigiTech® Multi Chorus

Plus I figured with all the bells and whistles in this. If I decide to go individual pedals at a later time. I should have a better idea of what I want.
    I have an RP90, and I like it! The 250 is made of metal, so it is more robust, but prety good sounds just the same. You will have fun with it.
    Scott

Guitars:
    Amps:
    Pedals:
    Washburn LSESLD, LSBOD
    BBE Free Fuzz
    Dunlop GCB-95
    ProCo Rat II "The Rat"
    Rockman Soloist

Post Thanks / Like

I use either a TC Electronic Modulator or a Line 6 MM4. Both do more than just chorus but the chorus sounds are great. If I were to judge them only by their chorus I would give the edge to the TC.
    Patrick

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hubberjub
    I use either a TC Electronic Modulator or a Line 6 MM4. Both do more than just chorus but the chorus sounds are great. If I were to judge them only by their chorus I would give the edge to the TC.
    If my memory is right, TC Electronics was a big man on campus in the 80s for their digital effect, especially for their chorus... maybe it was the 90s? Anyway, good call hub.
    Scott

Guitars:
    Amps:
    Pedals:
    Washburn LSESLD, LSBOD
    BBE Free Fuzz
    Dunlop GCB-95
    ProCo Rat II "The Rat"
    Rockman Soloist

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I like very much my Boss CE-5. I think it is a nice, versatile chorus pedal. "CE" stands for "Chorus Ensemble" so it is designed to be versatile. It has 5 controls, level, rate, depth, and two levels of filter, high and low. There is another thread around here where members discussed a lot of options. Out of that thread, I picked the CE-5 and was quite happy.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Getting started with the RP-255

Quote Originally Posted by Jx2
    I couldnt decide so I order a digitech RP255.
    I have the RP-255 multi-effect and the Chorus models are very nice. I'll be trading mine in for a Line 6 M9 or M13, because I don't need the amp models, just effects.

The key to the RP255 is to use your computer to adjust and create patches. You'll need a longer than average USB cable, depending on your situation. Buy the "A to B" style connector ends. I saved 50% by going to Fry's instead of Best Buy.

Download software from Digitech
    -Unless you plan on recording with your PC, don't bother with the CD it came with. Getting and configuring Cubase LE4's license was the most difficult process I've experienced in over 20 years of IT support!
    -Download the RP255 drivers here (I'm assuming you have a PC, if a Mac start here). At the top of the Digitech software downloads page you'll see tabs. Click the Download Files tab, click the Download Drivers link and run the setup file with the RP255 connected.
    -Under the Download Files tab at the bottom, click the X-Edit 2.6.0 link. You'll see installation instructions on another tab. X-Edit is what you'll use to control and save patches.
    -Once everything is installed and you system recognizes the RP255, the last tab (Run NetUpdater) tells you how to update it's firmware and calibrate the expression pedal. This will wipe out any saved changes you have on the pedal.

OK, now to the good stuff.
    You can modify any preset on either the 60 factory or user presets, but can save that preset to only the User bank of 60. This will become clear once you have X-Edit up, where you can rename the new patch and save it. Just play around with the many setting on the right part of the screen to get familer with everything.

The Digitech Tone Library has several useful patches among some not so useful ones in their 2 1/2 pages.

Here's how I'm using some of my User presets... I want to have several presets that only do stomp boxes without any amp or cabinet modeling.
    I'll start off selecting one of the Clean settings using the Tone Library knob. On the X-Edit screen, de-select the amp and cabinets and anything else in the way. You can click an effect button to toggle it on of off. Select an effect or combination of effects like phaser + reverb, and go from there.

I hope this gets you in the right direction...
    Guitar: Gibson SG Standard Natural Burst, Squier CV 50's Tele, Hell Guitars No. 2, Squier CV 50's Strat, Reverend Club King 290, Taylor 522e 12-Fret mahogany,
    Squier Vintage Modified Jaguar Bass Short Scale
    Amp: Fender Super Champ X2 Head, Egnater Tweaker 15, Fender Mustang I, Acoustic B20 1x12 bass amp
    Pedal: Budda Budwah wah, Wampler Ego Compressor, Electro-Harmonix Soul Food, Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive, Wampler Velvet Fuzz, Seven Sisters Eve Tremolo, TC Electronics Gravy Tri Chorus & Vibrato, Catalinbread Echorec, TC Electronic Alter Ego 2 Delay, Hardwire Supernatural Ambient Verb, MXR Carbon Copy, Catalinbread RAH, Big Muff Pi with Tone Wicker, BYOC Mouse 2.0 Distortion, BYOC Boost/OD-2

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks tig, my rp came on the brown truck yesterday. Ive kicked around with it a little Im not ready to jump to conclusions but I didnt find as many useable presets as the reviews had claimed. I did edit one of the presets and got a fairly good tone out of it for what I was looking for. Probably needs to be fine tuned with the eq. Im going to keep plugging away with it and see what happens. Sadly though, I ordered this Friday night. Saturday I got that Epiphone Les Paul and by Sunday I had came to the conclusion that the LP and my randall is all I need maybe a crybaby. I thought about cancelling the order but they had already shipped it so I figured Id just see what its about, still have other guitars that doesnt sound near as good as my epip lp.