Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Decent kid's electric? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Decent kid's electric?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Katastrophe
    My stepdaughter (13), every once and a while, will ask me to show her some stuff on guitar. We got to talking about her likes / dislikes in music, and it looks like she wants to learn bass.

Took her to a couple music stores in my area and let her try a few out. She loved it. Big grin on her face when I showed her a simple I - IV - V bass line and played a rhythm over it. It took all of ten minutes to get her playing.

Long story short, she'll be getting a bass this Christmas, a short scale one, from Rondo. They have bass packs really cheap.

Hopefully, this'll start a lifetime of learning on an instrument that is easy to get started on, but takes a lifetime to master!

So, the moral of this multiparagraph tale is, don't count out bass guitar, too!
    I'd love for her to play bass. Unfortunately, she has these tiny little hands, and not a whole lot of finger strength (yet). Maybe in a couple years, though.
    -Sean
    Guitars: Lots.
    Amphs: More than last year.
    Pedals: Many, although I go straight from guitar to amp more often lately.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Sean, If you'd like, I would be happy to do a little looking around for you at the Shanghai Music Fair next week. I can't guarantee anything but chances are pretty good that I could find you something decent for considerably less than you'd pay over there. Most of the middle to top Chinese manufacturers will be there along with some from Korea. I can get you pictures, prices (manufacturer's sample prices) and even try some out for you. I know most of the makers so I have a good idea of who to visit. Just let me know.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by syo
    Hey Sean, If you'd like, I would be happy to do a little looking around for you at the Shanghai Music Fair next week. I can't guarantee anything but chances are pretty good that I could find you something decent for considerably less than you'd pay over there. Most of the middle to top Chinese manufacturers will be there along with some from Korea. I can get you pictures, prices (manufacturer's sample prices) and even try some out for you. I know most of the makers so I have a good idea of who to visit. Just let me know.
    Syo, you are far too kind. That would be awesome, if you don't mind. At least I'd have a better idea of what's available.

Thank you!
    -Sean

Post Thanks / Like

No problem at all Sean. I've picked up a cello for my daughter and violins for a niece and nephew over there. All excellent instruments. I'll see if I can't find something suitable for your daughter.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FrankenFretter
    I'd love for her to play bass. Unfortunately, she has these tiny little hands, and not a whole lot of finger strength (yet). Maybe in a couple years, though.
    The Ibanez short-scale micro bass would probably be pretty easy to play if set up right. I'm not sure that bass takes any more finger strength than guitar. I think the main ergonomic consideration is that even a short-scale bass is longer than a comparable guitar.

I'd think that playing notes on a bass would require less strength than chords on a guitar.

Unfortunately, if you went with a bass, then you'd have to get an amph for it.

Hmmm, that may be a good thing though since you'd have a bass amph around if you ever got a bass for yourself.

Maybe play some bass-heavy recordings to see if she likes the sound of it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NWBasser
    The Ibanez short-scale micro bass would probably be pretty easy to play if set up right. I'm not sure that bass takes any more finger strength than guitar. I think the main ergonomic consideration is that even a short-scale bass is longer than a comparable guitar.

I'd think that playing notes on a bass would require less strength than chords on a guitar.

Unfortunately, if you went with a bass, then you'd have to get an amph for it.

Hmmm, that may be a good thing though since you'd have a bass amph around if you ever got a bass for yourself.

Maybe play some bass-heavy recordings to see if she likes the sound of it.
    I'll play her the intro from Barney Miller...
    -Sean

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Late to this thread, and from skimming, it looks like you made your decision. I will just throw in that Santa picked up one of those "Fullerton ST-3" Strat copies http://www.thefret.net/showthread.php?t=2957 that got sold inexpensively a couple years ago for my son, who was then 10. He was not a big kid, and it worked for him. He already had a smaller scale S-101 acoustic at that time.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sunvalleylaw
    Late to this thread, and from skimming, it looks like you made your decision. I will just throw in that Santa picked up one of those "Fullerton ST-3" Strat copies http://www.thefret.net/showthread.php?t=2957 that got sold inexpensively a couple years ago for my son, who was then 10. He was not a big kid, and it worked for him. He already had a smaller scale S-101 acoustic at that time.
    It looks like nobody carries those anymore. Thanks anyway, Steve. I'm still open minded about choices. So far the SX seems to be the best choice, but I still have time to do some looking around.
    -Sean

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Yeah, you would have to find a used one. But basically, it is a strat. An SX will be fine, and I would not worry about getting a full size. They grow quickly!

Here Derek is rocking his Fullerton two summers ago.

Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

- j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

I dont think they are available yet, but I got a email from Epiphone Blog yesterday showing the soon to be released Epiphone Zakk Wylde "Zakk Pakk"

Here's a link, depending on the price point I might try to pick one of these up for my 4 year old.

http://epiphone.com/blog/

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jx2
    I dont think they are available yet, but I got a email from Epiphone Blog yesterday showing the soon to be released Epiphone Zakk Wylde "Zakk Pakk"

Here's a link, depending on the price point I might try to pick one of these up for my 4 year old.

http://epiphone.com/blog/
    Interesting. She loves my LPs, so that might be an option, depending on the price point. She's a sucker for the cherry burst, though.
    -Sean

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Sean.
    Today was the first day of the Music China Fair in Shanghai. I spent a bit of time walking the floor looking for things on my list and came across a few child-sized guitars. There were actually not as many options as I thought I might see but then it is not something I usually deal with.

I did check out three from three different makers. All were strat patterns and only one had just one pickup. The other two were 3 single coils. Prices ranged from $24-$57. The $57 is from a maker I know and his instruments are pretty reliable. I should imagine that shipping to the states would run another $50 or so.

I having seen everything yet, so I'll send you specific info of what I found after the show. Is it alright if I email you?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by syo
    Hey Sean.
    Today was the first day of the Music China Fair in Shanghai. I spent a bit of time walking the floor looking for things on my list and came across a few child-sized guitars. There were actually not as many options as I thought I might see but then it is not something I usually deal with.

I did check out three from three different makers. All were strat patterns and only one had just one pickup. The other two were 3 single coils. Prices ranged from $24-$57. The $57 is from a maker I know and his instruments are pretty reliable. I should imagine that shipping to the states would run another $50 or so.

I having seen everything yet, so I'll send you specific info of what I found after the show. Is it alright if I email you?

Thank you, Syo.

Yes, email would be great. I'll PM you with info.
    -Sean

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sunvalleylaw
    Yeah, you would have to find a used one. But basically, it is a strat. An SX will be fine, and I would not worry about getting a full size. They grow quickly!

Here Derek is rocking his Fullerton two summers ago.

That's a pretty cool guitar SVL. I wish my son had some interest in music.

I see a Darkstar'd jazz bass, but what bass is he playing?

It looks like a sweet one.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Hey NW, your son may come around to in interest in time. As far as the bass, that was being played by the instructor at the camp my son had attended. He is no longer around. I am not sure what bass that is he is playing.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

- j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Craigslist is my personal go-to for cheap deals. I've bought and sold a ton on there.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12