Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Line 6 HD modeling

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Line 6 HD modeling

So Line 6 has some interesting amps coming out. Can't wait to try these things. They spent a lot of time researching. This can be very good stuff, guys!

HD amp models contain up to 10 times more amplifier DNA than our previous modeling. Things like single-ended class A tube stages, class AB push/pull interactions, tone stack, and even power supply behavior were modeled. Every HD model offers dizzying levels of detail, and paints a complete portrait of its modeled brother.

They are currently selling:
    - POD® HD multi-effect pedals and DT-50™ amplifiers are the first Line 6 products to feature HD amp models.

- POD® HD includes the full collection 16 HD amp models, each one more stunning than the last.

- DT50™ amplifiers combine HD modeling technology with flexible analog circuitry to produce the four immortal amp voicings on which all great guitar amplifiers are based.

The following amps were studied during the HD model development*

Bogner® Uberschall
    Divided by 13 JRT 9/15
    Dr. Z® Route 66
    ENGL® Fireball 100
    Fender® Bassman®
    Fender® Blackface Deluxe Reverb®
    Fender® Twin Reverb®
    Gibson® EH-185
    Hiwatt® Custom 100 (DR103)
    Marshall® JCM-800 (2204)
    Marshall® JTM-45 MkII
    Mesa/Boogie® Dual Rectifier®
    Park 75
    Supro® S6616
    Vox® AC-15
    Vox® AC-30 (Top Boost)

Read more at http://line6.com/hd-modeling/
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, I've been reading a little bit about them. They also have a 4-voice EL34 tube amp coming out too I think. I saw a pretty long video on that. It looked neat, but didn't really make me stand up and take notice just yet.

Someone here should buy all of this stuff so that we can get some info on it, yes? Robert? Spud?
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    Does anyone read the original post?
    Guitars: Gibson LP Studio, MIA Fender Precision, Carvin C350
    Amps: Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 + Avatar B212 / Genzler 12-3, Acoustic B20
    Pedals: Pod HD500X, Diamond Compressor, Tech 21 VT Bass, Sonic Research Turbo Tuner

Post Thanks / Like

Sadly, this'll be waaaaaaaay outta my budget. I do love all this competition in the modeling world. As improvements come down the line, the existing technology will be cheaper, allowing mere mortals to own it.

Only good will come of this. With Bogner involved, I'll bet these amphs will be capable of screaming solos.
    Guitars:
    Fender 2006 MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS in 3TS
    Ibanez RG 570 with a bridge Invader
    ESP M II Deluxe with a Tune-o-Matic bridge
    Eleanor, the magical, mystical Road Worn wonder Tele
    Blackstar HT Club 40

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Katastrophe
    I do love all this competition in the modeling world. As improvements come down the line, the existing technology will be cheaper, allowing mere mortals to own it.
    Completely agree with this statement. It's the main reason I'm interested in all of the advancements with AxeFX, 11 Rack, Pod HD, etc.
    Pedals: Pod HD500X, Diamond Compressor, Tech 21 VT Bass, Sonic Research Turbo Tuner

Post Thanks / Like

I think "cheaper" means "made in China" in today's world, and competition has not a lot to do with it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Sounds good! I would definitely be interested in testing that stuff!

Much as I applaud simple tube amps I do most of my guitar recordings with modelers anyhow, so I certainly welcome any improvements in the field!
    Dee

"When life's a biatch, be a horny dog"

Amps: Marshall JVM 410H w/ Plexi Cap mod, Choke Mod & Negative Feedback Removal mod, 4x12", Behringer GMX110, Amplitube 3/StealthPedal

Half a dozen custom built/bastardized guitars all with EMG's, mostly 85's, Ibanez Artwood acoustic & Yamaha SGR bass, Epiphone Prophecy SG, Vox Wah, Pitchblack tuner plus assorted pedals, rack gear etc. for home studio use.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, this new modeling technology looks really good. I can't wait to try one of these, but then I will probably want one. There's so much great stuff out there these days. The options keep growing every year.
    Electrics: Hamer Newport, Fender Clapton Strat, Ibanez AF86, Line6 Variax 700
    Acoustic Guitars: Taylor 514CE, Martin J40-M
    Dobro: Regal "Black Lightning Dobro"
    Mandolin: Morgan Monroe Mandolin
    Amps: Egnater Rebel 30, Vox AD120VTX, Roland Cube 60
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page...?bandid=301718

Post Thanks / Like

Wow! I was blown away by how cool the models are in my pocket POD. (and how cool it is to mix them up! '52 Deluxe Reverb through a '68 Marshall 4x12 w/Greenbacks was todays rig..) I'll bet these new ones will sound amaaaaazing.

(also now thinking how long before they make HD version of the stompbox models too)
    Last edited by Ch0jin; October 11th, 2010 at 01:27 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Thumbs up

I was all ready to go straight to the M9/M13 multi-effects, but now, the POD HD multi-effect pedals may be the way to go!

POD HD Spec's: http://line6.com/podhd/specs.html

The $500 POD HD500 offers up to 8 simultaneous M-class effects and flexible routing, plus a 48-second Looper. POD HD300 and POD HD400 provide up to 4 simultaneous FX and a 24-second Looper.

Check out the amph models:

All POD HD multi-effect pedals include 16 HD amp models based on*
    • Bogner® Uberschall
    • Divided by 13 JRT 9/15
    • Dr. Z® Route 66
    • ENGL® Fireball 100
    • Fender® Bassman®
    • Fender® Blackface Deluxe Reverb®
    • Fender® Twin Reverb®
    • Gibson® EH-185
    • Hiwatt® Custom 100 (DR103)
    • Marshall® JCM-800 (2204)
    • Marshall® JTM-45 MkII
    • Mesa/Boogie® Dual Rectifier®
    • Park 75
    • Supro® S6616
    • Vox® AC-15
    • Vox® AC-30 (Top Boost)
    Guitar: Gibson SG Standard Natural Burst, Squier CV 50's Tele, Hell Guitars No. 2, Squier CV 50's Strat, Reverend Club King 290, Taylor 522e 12-Fret mahogany,
    Squier Vintage Modified Jaguar Bass Short Scale
    Amp: Fender Super Champ X2 Head, Egnater Tweaker 15, Fender Mustang I, Acoustic B20 1x12 bass amp
    Pedal: Budda Budwah wah, Wampler Ego Compressor, Electro-Harmonix Soul Food, Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive, Wampler Velvet Fuzz, Seven Sisters Eve Tremolo, TC Electronics Gravy Tri Chorus & Vibrato, Catalinbread Echorec, TC Electronic Alter Ego 2 Delay, Hardwire Supernatural Ambient Verb, MXR Carbon Copy, Catalinbread RAH, Big Muff Pi with Tone Wicker, BYOC Mouse 2.0 Distortion, BYOC Boost/OD-2

Post Thanks / Like

Big difference in products though.

The M9/M13 units are designed to go in front of a great amp and hence have no amp modelling.

The POD's however have FX, plus amp models and features like mp3 in, headphone out etc.

I see the M9/M13 as tools for rocking out with the band. Live, rehearsals, studio, whatever. I see the POD's (and indeed what I use mine for) as more of an "at home" multi-tool. Recording direct to PC with amp simulations, jamming to backing tracks and cranking up the volume, but into headphones.

I was, and still am skeptical about running amp sims into guitar amps. Yes, I can get some crazy sounds running my pocket POD into my amps, but I prefer to put FX (either real or modeled I guess) into my amp, and amp models (+/- modeled FX) into my PC, my headphones, or on occasion, a Hi-Fi amp.

All that said, I am keen to hear if I can tell the difference between the POD models and the HD models, as plenty of the HD models exist as (what do we call them, SD models?) in my PPOD so there's a good basis for comparison

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

The POD HD's are using most of the exact effects that the M9/13 have. You can disable the amp modeling or vice-versa.

Think of the new HD's as an M9/13 plus amp modeling, and with warmer and more touch sensitive feel (so they claim).

Also, the M13 can be split up... as in some effects are put before the amp, and some can be run seperately through the amp's effects loop. That is what makes the 13 so cool and flexible. I'll see if the HD 400/500 does the same.
    Last edited by Tig; October 12th, 2010 at 06:53 AM.
    Guitar: Gibson SG Standard Natural Burst, Squier CV 50's Tele, Hell Guitars No. 2, Squier CV 50's Strat, Reverend Club King 290, Taylor 522e 12-Fret mahogany,
    Amp: Fender Super Champ X2 Head, Egnater Tweaker 15, Fender Mustang I, Acoustic B20 1x12 bass amp
    Pedal: Budda Budwah wah, Wampler Ego Compressor, Electro-Harmonix Soul Food, Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive, Wampler Velvet Fuzz, Seven Sisters Eve Tremolo, TC Electronics Gravy Tri Chorus & Vibrato, Catalinbread Echorec, TC Electronic Alter Ego 2 Delay, Hardwire Supernatural Ambient Verb, MXR Carbon Copy, Catalinbread RAH, Big Muff Pi with Tone Wicker, BYOC Mouse 2.0 Distortion, BYOC Boost/OD-2

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tig
    Also, the M13 can be split up... as in some effects are put before the amp, and some can be run seperately through the amp's effects loop. That is what makes the 13 so cool and flexible. I'll see if the HD 400/500 does the same.
    I didn't realize that, and that IS proper cool (Yes, I'm an FX Loop aficionado)

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ch0jin
    I didn't realize that, and that IS proper cool (Yes, I'm an FX Loop aficionado)
    The Tone King review exposed me to that feature...

Here's the tech ibfo and diagram: Line 6 M13 Switching Capabilities

Post Thanks / Like

Cool thanks for that I have a floor full of pedals already, but this thing just looks like so much fun!

Post Thanks / Like

The 400 (at least) has a global "FX Only" button which disables the amp modelling. Hooray! They also have an output selector like the Boss GTs to tailor the output to what you're plugging into (desk, combo, stack). Looking good so far.
    Electric: Fat strat > Korg PB > TS7 > DS1 > DD-20 > Cube 60 (Fender model)

Acoustic: Guitar > microphone > audience

Post Thanks / Like

I believe only the 500 has the option to completely disable the cab sims, however. Some people seem to find this to be a major issue, as they want to use their own IRs or something.

I've seen some comparisons between the HD series and Axe FX, and I must say that the HDs compare pretty favorably to the actual amps. Pretty impressive.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Tig, are you ever going to put up a full HD500 review or anything? I'm still pretty curious about the whole thing, but I haven't heard much from you since your mini-review.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Eric
    Hey Tig, are you ever going to put up a full HD500 review or anything? I'm still pretty curious about the whole thing, but I haven't heard much from you since your mini-review.
    I still have too much to learn to give it a proper review. I've been creating patches in the blank memory sections to get a taste of each amp model and most of the effects. While some of the factory patches are silly and useless, there are also some incredible configurations that let you know how capable this thing really is. I wish I had more time to dig deeper, but so far, I'm enjoying it immensely.

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm getting one soon...
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast