Thread: LP toggle switch/pickup repair help

Post Thanks / Like

Default LP toggle switch/pickup repair help

Need a little help/advice. I'm pretty much a newb when it comes to electronics repair.

I'm not getting any sound when engaging the "treble" pickup on my Epi LP when the toggle switch is in the middle or down position. Is there a quick easy way to determine if the problem is the toggle switch or the pickup/connection?

Thanks,
    Sam

Guitars: 2001 Fender Fat Strat (MiM), Epi Les Paul Plus Top, 2004 Taylor 310ce, Washburn Rover
    Amps: Vox AD50VT, Fender Blues Jr.
    Pedals/Gear: DVM's ZYS, Fulltone OCD, Dunlop Crybaby 535Q, Boss TU-2, Digitech JamMan, Presonus TubePre, Boss BR-600

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by scorona
    Need a little help/advice. I'm pretty much a newb when it comes to electronics repair.

I'm not getting any sound when engaging the "treble" pickup on my Epi LP when the toggle switch is in the middle or down position. Is there a quick easy way to determine if the problem is the toggle switch or the pickup/connection?

Thanks,
    Sam
    I had a similar problem with the bridge on an Epi. Open up the back cover and see if you have a loose connection on the volume control, if so, just re-solder it. You might also want to get an ohm meter and check the conductivity between the switch and the volume controls.

Also, by "down position" do you mean the treble/neck is engaged right? Some LPs are wired such that if either the bridge, or the neck, have a volume of 0 and you switch to the middle position, both pups are zeroed.

North of the Equator: I am a Southerner, Southern Ontario!
    Post Thanks / Like

This is one of my favourite complaints with Epi guitars. Their switches are CRAP. I have replaced almost every one on my 5 Epis. I even had to replace the switch on my Japanese Elitist and they are supposed to have US hardware/electronics. Not so for the switch. Try flipping the switch rapidly a few times. That will sometimes clean out the crud between the contacts. Just replace it with a new switchcraft. You will have to eventually anyway. I have written emails to Epi and they don't give a damn.
    99% of the time that is what is wrong.
    Last edited by ZMAN; October 2nd, 2010 at 07:21 PM.
    The Blues is alright!

Guitars: 1968 Gibson SG, 2005 Gibson SG Standard, 2006 Gibson LP Classic Gold top, 2004 Epiphone Elitist LP Custom, 1996 Gibson Les Paul Standard. 2001 Epiphone Sheraton II, 2007 Epiphone G400.
    Fender Strats: 1996 Fender 68 Reissue CIJ, 2008 Squier CV 50s, 2009 Squier CV 50s Tele Butterescotch Blonde

Amps: Blues Junior Special edition Jensen in Brown Tolex with Wheat front, 65 Deluxe Reverb reissue,1970 Sonax reverb by Traynor, Avatar Custom 2/12 Cabinet with Eminence Legend V1216 speakers,
    2008 DSL100 Marshall Amp , Fender Super Champ XD,Fender Vibro Champ XD

Effects and Pedals: Fulltone Fulldrive II, Fulltone OCD, Fulltone Mini Deja Vibe, Fulltone Fat Boost, Dunlop Crybaby Wah, Boss DS1, Boss DD20 Giga Delay, Boss TU2 tuner, Boss BD2, Ibanez TS9 Tube screamer, Zoom 505. Radial tonebone hot british.

Post Thanks / Like

I took my switch out and gingerly tweaked it back into contact with some needle-nose pliers and haven't had a problem since. Here' my thread with the helpful hints from the community.
    Guitars: Epiphone Les Paul Ultra; pretty red Squier Acoustic;
    Amps: Vox VT30;
    Pedals: Dunlop Fuzz Face; Dunlop Crybaby Wah
    My kids have: Squier Affinity Stratocaster MII; Fender G-DEC; Squire Acoustic; Jay Turser Strat-copy, Roland Cube amp

"I am a sworn enemy of the saccharine, and a believer in grace over karma." Bono 2001

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ZMAN
    This is one of my favourite complaints with Epi guitars. Their switches are CRAP. I have replaced almost every one on my 5 Epis. I even had to replace the switch on my Japanese Elitist and they are supposed to have US hardware. Not so for the switch. Try flipping the switch rapidly a few times. That will sometimes clean out the crud between the contacts. Just replace it with a new switchcraft. You will have to eventually anyway. I have written emails to Epi and they don't give a damn.
    99% of the time that is what is wrong.
    +1. Don't bother with the cheaper switches. I think I've replaced the switch on every Epiphone I've ever owned.
    Electric: Fat strat > Korg PB > TS7 > DS1 > DD-20 > Cube 60 (Fender model)

Acoustic: Guitar > microphone > audience

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

+1 for the switch change, last Epi I had didn't last 2 weeks before I swiftly switched the switch for a switchcraft switch as the switch didn't switch like it should have switched as if bewitched, but then I switched the whole guitar soon.
    Dee

"When life's a biatch, be a horny dog"

Amps: Marshall JVM 410H w/ Plexi Cap mod, Choke Mod & Negative Feedback Removal mod, 4x12", Behringer GMX110, Amplitube 3/StealthPedal

Half a dozen custom built/bastardized guitars all with EMG's, mostly 85's, Ibanez Artwood acoustic & Yamaha SGR bass, Epiphone Prophecy SG, Vox Wah, Pitchblack tuner plus assorted pedals, rack gear etc. for home studio use.

Post Thanks / Like

After opening up the back covers, I didn't find any loose connections so I suspect the problem is the switch itself. Didn't realize that is a typical issue with Epi's. Thanks for all the input.

Guitars: 2001 Fender Fat Strat (MiM), Epi Les Paul Plus Top, 2004 Taylor 310ce, Washburn Rover
    Amps: Vox AD50VT, Fender Blues Jr.
    Pedals/Gear: DVM's ZYS, Fulltone OCD, Dunlop Crybaby 535Q, Boss TU-2, Digitech JamMan, Presonus TubePre, Boss BR-600