Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Nad

Thread: Nad

Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation Nad

Well, it finally has happened.

I got myself a toob amph.

I was fairly set on getting a Tweaker and I still think that's about the sweetest sounding amph ever.

But, I found a great deal on the local CL that I couldn't pass up since it was much cheaper than a Tweaker.

It's a Hughes & Kettner Edition Tube 20th. 20-watt class A EL84 combo.
    The clean channel was quite messed up when I got it with a nasty buzz and rattle. A call to Eurotubes (excellent service!) and a full new set of JJ tubes along with some biasing brought it around and it sounds quite nice now. Not quite as much gain with the new tubes, but much better definition which is my preference.

I only really play guitar in the bedroom and practically never with a full band and thought 20-watts would be quiet enough. It does sound good at lower volumes which is what I was looking for, but I brought it to my guitarist's house during a rehearsal and cranked it to about 3 before I thought the house was going to come down. This sucker can get very loud indeed!

It definitely has the "thickness" and full bottom that I was looking for and I'm very thrilled with it so far.
    Last edited by NWBasser; October 2nd, 2010 at 09:44 AM. Reason: smilies

Post Thanks / Like

Very cool!

I've always had interest in this amp (and the 25th) and look forward to more of your comments after you've logged some jam time.

It's my impression that the clean and dirty channel work very well...and the amp sounds "big".

I bet JJ tubes sound very good in that amp, and you went to a great source for tubes.

Rock it!

Post Thanks / Like

Moped: Piaggio Ciao PX

Post Thanks / Like

-Sean
    Guitars: Lots.
    Amphs: More than last year.
    Pedals: Many, although I go straight from guitar to amp more often lately.

Post Thanks / Like

Good job NW.
    _____

GUITARS - Carvin DC127M - Carvin Bolt kit
    AMPS - Bogner Alchemist 112 - Blackheart Handsome Devil half stack
    FXs - Roger Linn Adrenalinn III - Boss GT-10
    _____

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Congrats! That's a nice amp. I tested one quite a lot when I was looking at which Bluesbreaker type amp I want, but a real Marshall would have broken my bank. That H&K was a good contender indeed.
    Dee

"When life's a biatch, be a horny dog"

Amps: Marshall JVM 410H w/ Plexi Cap mod, Choke Mod & Negative Feedback Removal mod, 4x12", Behringer GMX110, Amplitube 3/StealthPedal

Half a dozen custom built/bastardized guitars all with EMG's, mostly 85's, Ibanez Artwood acoustic & Yamaha SGR bass, Epiphone Prophecy SG, Vox Wah, Pitchblack tuner plus assorted pedals, rack gear etc. for home studio use.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FrankenFretter
    I knew that was coming.

Tom's jamming on it right now and it's shaking too much for a pic.

IMO, amphs are better heard than seen. Well, at least I think sound is far more important than looks for an amph.

I gotta figure a way to post sound clips.

W. Branch of Susquehanna River, Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Amp

I know what you mean NW about the Tweaker, I have the head hooked up to my Epiphone So. Cal. four twelve cabinet.

However, it's not the only amp. I'm playing my Jim P modded Blackheart Little Giant head thru my Epi one twelve cabinet to great effect; using my Epiphone 1960 Tribute Les Paul with the stock Gibson 57 and 57 plus pickups. This amp/guitar combination sounds super great. I'm using a bad monkey and a good reverb pedal in front of it. The tones are great and the overdrive with the bad monkey set low and the overdrive on the amp set just right, it sounds real real smooth and lets the guitar sing. Really like that sound.

I heard that H and K tube amp is a great amp.

Have fun with that baby. What guitar are you playing thru it?
    Duffy Bolduc
    South Williamsport, Pa.

"Now all the things that use to mean so much to me has got me old before my time." G. Allman, "Old Before My Time", Hittin' the Note.

Major changes to guitars and amps, to be updated soon.

Fiance - Supportive of musical art

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Duffy, I'm playing my Epi LP standard through it.

I'm really digging it so far.

The only gripe, which is a small one, is that I wish the clean channel would hold together a bit better. It seems to break up a little sooner than I would prefer. It has adjustable bias and I'm thinking a little tweaking there might get it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I fear that is largely the nature of the beast...no EL84 based amp really keeps clean at higher volumes..that's what makes the 18w amps so nice, the round yet even breakup largely governs their basic sound. I dont think glistening clear xleans will be an option...
    Dee

"When life's a biatch, be a horny dog"

Amps: Marshall JVM 410H w/ Plexi Cap mod, Choke Mod & Negative Feedback Removal mod, 4x12", Behringer GMX110, Amplitube 3/StealthPedal

Half a dozen custom built/bastardized guitars all with EMG's, mostly 85's, Ibanez Artwood acoustic & Yamaha SGR bass, Epiphone Prophecy SG, Vox Wah, Pitchblack tuner plus assorted pedals, rack gear etc. for home studio use.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NWBasser
    Hey Duffy, I'm playing my Epi LP standard through it.

I'm really digging it so far.

The only gripe, which is a small one, is that I wish the clean channel would hold together a bit better. It seems to break up a little sooner than I would prefer. It has adjustable bias and I'm thinking a little tweaking there might get it.
    You can get tubes with higher bias points. Military grades are one and GTs with ratings at 8-10 are another.
    _____

GUITARS - Carvin DC127M - Carvin Bolt kit
    AMPS - Bogner Alchemist 112 - Blackheart Handsome Devil half stack
    FXs - Roger Linn Adrenalinn III - Boss GT-10
    _____

Post Thanks / Like

You could try 12AU7s, or even 5751s instead of 12AX7s for your preamp. Might tame things a little, but then of course you're going to lose some of your gain on the dirty channel. Try biasing the tubes a bit cooler, and see what happens. Or just roll the volume off a little on your LP...
    -Sean
    Guitars: Lots.
    Amphs: More than last year.
    Pedals: Many, although I go straight from guitar to amp more often lately.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Congrats. Nothing better than bringing home a new amp

Post Thanks / Like

Default Picture

At last I got the time to shoot a picture of it.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Nice NWB! Congrats!
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson