Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Convert conventional Strat to hardtail?

Thread: Convert conventional Strat to hardtail?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Convert conventional Strat to hardtail?

These questions have been bugging me for while, I decided to ask the collective forum wisdom:

Is is difficult to convert a conventional trem'd Strat to hardtail?
    My thought was that, by properly measuring where saddles fall, one could compute the needed position of the replacement bridge. Sound easy at first glance. Is it?

Any vendor with dedicated kits?

How will the Strat "sound" be affected?
    Less golf, more saxophone

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I would think blocking the trem would accomplish the same thing, and be cheaper and easier.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Commodore 64
    I would think blocking the trem would accomplish the same thing, and be cheaper and easier.
    That's what I did

Post Thanks / Like

Screw those 6 bolts down tight, take up the slack in the springs, job done. Stick a block of something in there if you like.
    Electric: Fat strat > Korg PB > TS7 > DS1 > DD-20 > Cube 60 (Fender model)

Acoustic: Guitar > microphone > audience

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Commodore 64
    And reversible.
    _____

GUITARS - Carvin DC127M - Carvin Bolt kit
    AMPS - Bogner Alchemist 112 - Blackheart Handsome Devil half stack
    FXs - Roger Linn Adrenalinn III - Boss GT-10
    _____

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by markb
    Screw those 6 bolts down tight, take up the slack in the springs, job done. Stick a block of something in there if you like.
    +1, I have tried to fill the hole and put in a hardtail bridge but there was a buzz and tonekill I could not over come. Ended up taking it out and going back to stock but it was never the same. I gave that axe to my nephew. The next strat I got, I just screwed the claw screws down as tight as I could and viola! hard tail strat and no problems. Plus, if you ever decide to go back to the whammy bar, just loosen the screws back up and you are home!

North of the Equator: I am a Southerner, Southern Ontario!
    Post Thanks / Like

I do that with all my strats. Here is one of my Deluxe Squiers. No need to block the trem.

The Blues is alright!

Guitars: 1968 Gibson SG, 2005 Gibson SG Standard, 2006 Gibson LP Classic Gold top, 2004 Epiphone Elitist LP Custom, 1996 Gibson Les Paul Standard. 2001 Epiphone Sheraton II, 2007 Epiphone G400.
    Fender Strats: 1996 Fender 68 Reissue CIJ, 2008 Squier CV 50s, 2009 Squier CV 50s Tele Butterescotch Blonde

Amps: Blues Junior Special edition Jensen in Brown Tolex with Wheat front, 65 Deluxe Reverb reissue,1970 Sonax reverb by Traynor, Avatar Custom 2/12 Cabinet with Eminence Legend V1216 speakers,
    2008 DSL100 Marshall Amp , Fender Super Champ XD,Fender Vibro Champ XD

Effects and Pedals: Fulltone Fulldrive II, Fulltone OCD, Fulltone Mini Deja Vibe, Fulltone Fat Boost, Dunlop Crybaby Wah, Boss DS1, Boss DD20 Giga Delay, Boss TU2 tuner, Boss BD2, Ibanez TS9 Tube screamer, Zoom 505. Radial tonebone hot british.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I find making the strat hardtail either by just screwing things down tight or actually putting a block of wood there makes surprisingly little difference to how it sounds. Sure there is difference, but of late it seems to be more difference could be achieved by changing the block material. I've been tightening and loosing the bridge on one of my strats of late and can't decide which do I like better. On the strat that sounds best to me it's just ever so slightly off the body, not clamped down hard but not loose either.

I did convert one floyd-equipped guitar to hardtail, block of wood and all, and it turned out great, but it's nothing like a strat, shorter scale and all.
    Dee

"When life's a biatch, be a horny dog"

Amps: Marshall JVM 410H w/ Plexi Cap mod, Choke Mod & Negative Feedback Removal mod, 4x12", Behringer GMX110, Amplitube 3/StealthPedal

Half a dozen custom built/bastardized guitars all with EMG's, mostly 85's, Ibanez Artwood acoustic & Yamaha SGR bass, Epiphone Prophecy SG, Vox Wah, Pitchblack tuner plus assorted pedals, rack gear etc. for home studio use.

W. Branch of Susquehanna River, Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Strat

On some of my strats I have lowered the bridge plate to the top of the guitar body and screwed in the trem claw screws and even put on additional springs. This holds the bridge down real well, but if I want some slight trem effect I can still push down on the trem to get a subtle buy nice effect.

I had a strat hardtail straight from the factory once and didn't like it nearly as well as my regular strats.

If I want a hardtail guitar I grab one of my Les Pauls or other factory hard tailed guitars.

I mean, this is the way I do things, but you should do what you want. I'm going to put in a set of EMG noiseless single coils in one of my strats, or else SD noiseless. I'm going to do what I want to do.

Go for it if you want to but I think cranking the bridge down and possibly wedging in a block of wood up against the trem block will work great and not change your action to "real high" like it was on my hard tail strat.

Hope this helps you evaluate your goals for your guitar.
    Last edited by Duffy; October 3rd, 2010 at 03:40 AM.
    Duffy Bolduc
    South Williamsport, Pa.

"Now all the things that use to mean so much to me has got me old before my time." G. Allman, "Old Before My Time", Hittin' the Note.

Major changes to guitars and amps, to be updated soon.

Fiance - Supportive of musical art

Post Thanks / Like

Call me crazy, but I like the springs. I have 5 in some strats. I think they are part of that slinky spanky sound that's signature to a strat

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Call me crazy as well, I got 3 strings even on my hardtail Davette...they aren't even attached to the bridge, just stretched accross the gap at the back, screwed to body wood on both ends...
    Dee

"When life's a biatch, be a horny dog"

Amps: Marshall JVM 410H w/ Plexi Cap mod, Choke Mod & Negative Feedback Removal mod, 4x12", Behringer GMX110, Amplitube 3/StealthPedal

Half a dozen custom built/bastardized guitars all with EMG's, mostly 85's, Ibanez Artwood acoustic & Yamaha SGR bass, Epiphone Prophecy SG, Vox Wah, Pitchblack tuner plus assorted pedals, rack gear etc. for home studio use.