Thread: Epiphone Valve Special?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Epiphone Valve Special?

Hey guy,. anyone ever do mods to an Epiphone Valve Special? I'm looking to get more volume from this amp and also to clear up some of the muddiness. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Chuck.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't know anything about the speaker in there but if there's a higher efficiently speaker available you'll have more volume.
    _____

GUITARS - Carvin DC127M - Carvin Bolt kit
    AMPS - Bogner Alchemist 112 - Blackheart Handsome Devil half stack
    FXs - Roger Linn Adrenalinn III - Boss GT-10
    _____

Post Thanks / Like

Check over at the sewatt web site as far as mods. The valve special has a DSP and op amps in the signal path some people mod it over to just being a tube amp. If uses the same output transformer as the old Valve Junior replacing it would help a lot. The best choice for the money is the ClassicTone 15 watt transformer at Triode electronics about 36 bucks with shipping.

I checked over at Sewatt.com and in the FAQ section there is a link to postings on modifying the Valve Special http://www.sewatt.com/node/16248
    Last edited by jim p; October 4th, 2010 at 03:21 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

aside from modding,a good eq pedal can brighten the tone and add boost
    guitars-esp m1,esp vintage plus strat,85 gibson LP std,Hamer std,hagstrom xl-5,takamine 330r
    amps-egnater tweaker,epi vj w/brat mod
    efx-byoc/dvm comp, j cantrell wah,ocd,catalinbread dls,wampler plextortion,ibanez chorus,tech21 boost dla

Post Thanks / Like

Just to add I asked over at Sewatt and the output transformer on the stock Valve Special is bad. It is not an air gaped core as an SE amp transformer should be so replacing it would go a long way to helping the tone of the amp. Also you could get a transformer with multiple output taps so you would not be stuck with just 8 ohms output impedance.
    But to go along with above trying the amp through other speakers would be the best first thing to try, just use the head section and play through some cabinets if you can. I know the Bugera V5 sounds dark and that is due to the stock speaker, I was surprised that an 8 inch speaker would lack highs but it does.