Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Your Hidden Gems

Post Thanks / Like

Default Your Hidden Gems

I was thinking we all have these little hidden gems we enjoy. Might be anybody, might be someone who's popular in certain circles but a realitvely unkown in others. So I thought, lets share them....lets help one another attempt to find more of those artists.

Like I said, some of us are likely to consider someone listed as a more big time act than others, because of the area we live in or the genre of music we listen to the most. But please, try not to list the most notable of bands, i.e. no Rolling Stones, Jeff Beck, or unreleased tracks from todays stars.

Here's mine, a blues player by the name of Shuggie Otis. This cat just blew me away the first time I heard him. Ive felt he was just as good as Jimi or SRV or the others but more traditional blue, ala, Albert King, John Lee Hooker.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l6xRD-9hseI

I tried to embed the clip but for some reason it didnt work. Please include links when possible to your hidden gems.

Post Thanks / Like

Anybody from The Flower Kings family tree is going to give you superb music. I'll list a few: (there is an incredible chain of great music and musicians when you follow these crumbs. Google is your friend. And now you're thinking, "who?")

Roine Stolt
    Tomas Bodin
    Hasse Fröberg
    Jonas Reingold
    Zoltan Csörsz
    Daniel Gildenlöw
    Marcus Liliequist
    Hasse Bruniusson
    Jaime Salazar

Which lead to: Neal Morse, Transatlantic, Marillion, Kaipa, The Tangent, Po90, Ritual, King Crimson, Agents of Mercy, Karmakanic, Dream Theater, Circus Brimstone, Steve Hackett and so on and so on.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Almost anything by Eppu Normaali is pretty damn cool pop to me, their albums feature lots and lots of superb guitar sounds and nice playing too.

Started in 1976 as sort of Ramones-like punk group with naivistically clever lyrics they've a huge catalog of music and today probably the most revered of Finnish rockers here. Especially their 80's hits are something that can draw tears from many a grown man's eye corner even today; extremely touching lyrics and superbly depicting the Finnish psyche. Can't imagine them going anywhere here and not drawing as big a crowd as they please, they gig so rarely it's an event every time. And still churning out #1 hits.

Here's a good example of their lyrics sure to move a Finn (my own quick translation):

Innocent he was born in this cold northern land
    Where his forefathers already - drunken of course -
    Would beat up children, wives, if they only caught them
    But this boy wanted it not, this fate
    Said I'll never buy an ax
    And never drink no booze, or I'll drink my house to ruin
    Cold snow beckons the family in wintertime
    But I shall never be like my father was
    But then the work commission office refuses his work
    The hand of fate offers him a big drink
    And the famous old drinker spirit relives again
    And the worker starts acting like a lord
    Running towards a liquor store
    It makes a man desperate
    When the freeze kills the crops
    And in between the cold mounds
    A cold eye stares
    As the ax is risen
    Inside the cold earth, the soil and ground
    Fathers look upon their sons with pride
    Unemployment, alcohol, ax and the family
    Bank of snow, a policeman and the final mistake
    This land is filled with a thousand sad songs
    And a thousand lakes to drown oneself to
    A juniper folk whose amount of self-pity
    Cannot be measured with sanity and rectified by tangos
    In their songs they lose the keys to their lives
    And the gates of heaven are locked tight
    These songs tell of Mr. Jack Despair

(although the song in the link is a beautiful ballad about a guy killing himself & his girlfriend...I'm leaving for the stars...we left for the stars and the world exploded later etc.)
    Dee

"When life's a biatch, be a horny dog"

Amps: Marshall JVM 410H w/ Plexi Cap mod, Choke Mod & Negative Feedback Removal mod, 4x12", Behringer GMX110, Amplitube 3/StealthPedal

Half a dozen custom built/bastardized guitars all with EMG's, mostly 85's, Ibanez Artwood acoustic & Yamaha SGR bass, Epiphone Prophecy SG, Vox Wah, Pitchblack tuner plus assorted pedals, rack gear etc. for home studio use.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jx2

I tried to embed the clip but for some reason it didnt work. Please include links when possible to your hidden gems.
    Here you go.

Guitars
    Wilburn Versatare, '52 FrankenTele(Fender licensed parts), Fender USA Roadhouse Strat, Fender USA Standard B-bender Telecaster, Agile AL 3000 w/ WCR pickups, Ibanez MIJ V300 Acoustic, Squier Precision Bass,
    Amps
    Ceriatone Overtone Special, Musicman 212 Sixty-Five, Fender Blues Jr., Peavey Classic 30, Fender Super Reverb, Traynor YCV-40 WR Anniversary w/ matching 1x12 ext. cab, Epiphone SoCal 50w head w/ matching 4x12 cab (Lady Luck speakers), Avatar 2x12 semi-open back cab w/ Celestion speakers
    Pedals
    Digitech Bad Monkey, Digitech Jamman, DVM's ZYS, Goodrich volume pedal

Post Thanks / Like

_____

GUITARS - Carvin DC127M - Carvin Bolt kit
    AMPS - Bogner Alchemist 112 - Blackheart Handsome Devil half stack
    FXs - Roger Linn Adrenalinn III - Boss GT-10
    _____

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Wow! He was awsome.
    I managed to find Shuggie's "Inspiration Information" 1974 release to listen to...
    Guitar: Gibson SG Standard Natural Burst, Squier CV 50's Tele, Hell Guitars No. 2, Squier CV 50's Strat, Reverend Club King 290, Taylor 522e 12-Fret mahogany,
    Squier Vintage Modified Jaguar Bass Short Scale
    Amp: Fender Super Champ X2 Head, Egnater Tweaker 15, Fender Mustang I, Acoustic B20 1x12 bass amp
    Pedal: Budda Budwah wah, Wampler Ego Compressor, Electro-Harmonix Soul Food, Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive, Wampler Velvet Fuzz, Seven Sisters Eve Tremolo, TC Electronics Gravy Tri Chorus & Vibrato, Catalinbread Echorec, TC Electronic Alter Ego 2 Delay, Hardwire Supernatural Ambient Verb, MXR Carbon Copy, Catalinbread RAH, Big Muff Pi with Tone Wicker, BYOC Mouse 2.0 Distortion, BYOC Boost/OD-2

Post Thanks / Like

Shuggie fan from way back...I got into him after hearing strawberry letter by the bro's johnson.

his first album is very blues heavy
    guitars-esp m1,esp vintage plus strat,85 gibson LP std,Hamer std,hagstrom xl-5,takamine 330r
    amps-egnater tweaker,epi vj w/brat mod
    efx-byoc/dvm comp, j cantrell wah,ocd,catalinbread dls,wampler plextortion,ibanez chorus,tech21 boost dla

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tig
    Wow! He was awsome.
    I managed to find Shuggie's "Inspiration Information" 1974 release to listen to...
    Bought "Shuggie's Boogie: Shuggie Otis Plays The Blues" on Amazon for $3.99. Can't wait to listen to it!

I listened to the "Inspiration Information" release just one time so far, and it has some incredible instrumental tracks. Shuggie was very tallented early on!
    Last edited by Tig; October 6th, 2010 at 09:01 AM.
    Guitar: Gibson SG Standard Natural Burst, Squier CV 50's Tele, Hell Guitars No. 2, Squier CV 50's Strat, Reverend Club King 290, Taylor 522e 12-Fret mahogany,
    Amp: Fender Super Champ X2 Head, Egnater Tweaker 15, Fender Mustang I, Acoustic B20 1x12 bass amp
    Pedal: Budda Budwah wah, Wampler Ego Compressor, Electro-Harmonix Soul Food, Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive, Wampler Velvet Fuzz, Seven Sisters Eve Tremolo, TC Electronics Gravy Tri Chorus & Vibrato, Catalinbread Echorec, TC Electronic Alter Ego 2 Delay, Hardwire Supernatural Ambient Verb, MXR Carbon Copy, Catalinbread RAH, Big Muff Pi with Tone Wicker, BYOC Mouse 2.0 Distortion, BYOC Boost/OD-2

Post Thanks / Like

Im glad you guys are enjoying Shuggie. Its hard to beleive that he was touring and recording at 14. Im going to pick up some Shuggie on vinyl here in the upcoming weeks.

North of the Equator: I am a Southerner, Southern Ontario!
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jx2
    I was thinking we all have these little hidden gems we enjoy. Might be anybody, might be someone who's popular in certain circles but a realitvely unkown in others. So I thought, lets share them....lets help one another attempt to find more of those artists.

Like I said, some of us are likely to consider someone listed as a more big time act than others, because of the area we live in or the genre of music we listen to the most. But please, try not to list the most notable of bands, i.e. no Rolling Stones, Jeff Beck, or unreleased tracks from todays stars.

Here's mine, a blues player by the name of Shuggie Otis. This cat just blew me away the first time I heard him. Ive felt he was just as good as Jimi or SRV or the others but more traditional blue, ala, Albert King, John Lee Hooker.

Not hidden around my house. I have two of his original vinyl albums and I was able to get an import CD. He never attained the heights he should have. All of those tracks were done when he was 15 years old. He was playing in bars underage, and the booze and the drugs wasted all his talent.
    I discovered him in 69/70 and have played him since. Nothing after that was really any good and he is still around but could have been an icon..
    The Blues is alright!

Guitars: 1968 Gibson SG, 2005 Gibson SG Standard, 2006 Gibson LP Classic Gold top, 2004 Epiphone Elitist LP Custom, 1996 Gibson Les Paul Standard. 2001 Epiphone Sheraton II, 2007 Epiphone G400.
    Fender Strats: 1996 Fender 68 Reissue CIJ, 2008 Squier CV 50s, 2009 Squier CV 50s Tele Butterescotch Blonde

Amps: Blues Junior Special edition Jensen in Brown Tolex with Wheat front, 65 Deluxe Reverb reissue,1970 Sonax reverb by Traynor, Avatar Custom 2/12 Cabinet with Eminence Legend V1216 speakers,
    2008 DSL100 Marshall Amp , Fender Super Champ XD,Fender Vibro Champ XD

Effects and Pedals: Fulltone Fulldrive II, Fulltone OCD, Fulltone Mini Deja Vibe, Fulltone Fat Boost, Dunlop Crybaby Wah, Boss DS1, Boss DD20 Giga Delay, Boss TU2 tuner, Boss BD2, Ibanez TS9 Tube screamer, Zoom 505. Radial tonebone hot british.

Post Thanks / Like

A little Shuggie Otis trivia... Otis played bass on Frank Zappa's "Peaches En Regalia"
    "I happen to have perfect situational awareness, Lana. Which cannot be taught, by the way. Like a poet's ... mind for ... to make the perfect words." - Sterling Archer

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    Anybody from The Flower Kings family tree is going to give you superb music. I'll list a few: (there is an incredible chain of great music and musicians when you follow these crumbs. Google is your friend. And now you're thinking, "who?")

Roine Stolt
    Tomas Bodin
    Hasse Fröberg
    Jonas Reingold
    Zoltan Csörsz
    Daniel Gildenlöw
    Marcus Liliequist
    Hasse Bruniusson
    Jaime Salazar

Which lead to: Neal Morse, Transatlantic, Marillion, Kaipa, The Tangent, Po90, Ritual, King Crimson, Agents of Mercy, Karmakanic, Dream Theater, Circus Brimstone, Steve Hackett and so on and so on.
    Similarly, one could follow the cadre of musicians who have worked with John Zorn in the Downtown NYC scene. A brief list that could open up endless possibilities...

Marc Ribot
    Fred Frith
    Bill Frisell
    Wayne Horvitz
    Mike Patton
    Greg Cohen
    Joey Baron
    Trevor Dunn
    Jamie Saft
    Ikue Mori
    "I happen to have perfect situational awareness, Lana. Which cannot be taught, by the way. Like a poet's ... mind for ... to make the perfect words." - Sterling Archer

North of the Equator: I am a Southerner, Southern Ontario!
    Post Thanks / Like

Now for one of mine. I hope this works.
    Not a vid but worth the listen. Long but listen to his work on a Classic by Freddie King.
    The Blues is alright!

Guitars: 1968 Gibson SG, 2005 Gibson SG Standard, 2006 Gibson LP Classic Gold top, 2004 Epiphone Elitist LP Custom, 1996 Gibson Les Paul Standard. 2001 Epiphone Sheraton II, 2007 Epiphone G400.
    Fender Strats: 1996 Fender 68 Reissue CIJ, 2008 Squier CV 50s, 2009 Squier CV 50s Tele Butterescotch Blonde

Amps: Blues Junior Special edition Jensen in Brown Tolex with Wheat front, 65 Deluxe Reverb reissue,1970 Sonax reverb by Traynor, Avatar Custom 2/12 Cabinet with Eminence Legend V1216 speakers,
    2008 DSL100 Marshall Amp , Fender Super Champ XD,Fender Vibro Champ XD

Effects and Pedals: Fulltone Fulldrive II, Fulltone OCD, Fulltone Mini Deja Vibe, Fulltone Fat Boost, Dunlop Crybaby Wah, Boss DS1, Boss DD20 Giga Delay, Boss TU2 tuner, Boss BD2, Ibanez TS9 Tube screamer, Zoom 505. Radial tonebone hot british.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Ronnie Earl

Probably the most understated/rated monster been doing it for decades full-0-soul player that just does it his way no matter if anyone's paying attention or not.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I have to throw Sean Costello into the hat. I can't get enough of his live playing and guitar faces. RIP, Sean...

_____

Gets busy wit' it from 3:30 to 6:00. A master of touch sensitive string attack.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Automatic Man

Maxi...................

Bootsy Collins:
    I pledge allegiance to the funk, the whole funk, and nothing but the funk, so help me James, Sly and George, Amen!!

Guitars: 2010 American Special HSS Strat, 2010 CIC Squire CV ThinLine Tele, & 2006 MIM FSR Strat.

Basses: 1979 Peavey T-40, 2007 Ibanez SR 500, 2013 Ibanez SR375F, 2013 CIJ Fender Geddy Lee Jazz Bass, 2014 Sadowsky Will Lee VI, & 2014 Sadowsky Will Lee Metro V

Amps: Mesa Boogie BASS STRATEGY:Eight:88, Aguliar DB 4X12, Augilar DB 751, Genz Benz CTR500-210T/Focus 1X15 CAB, Fender Hot Rod Deville 410, VHT Deliverance 60/VHT 2X12 fat Bottom Cab, & VOX DA20

Effects: Boss ME-25, MXR Custom Baddass 78, MXR Custom Baddass modified O.D., Vox Joe Satriani Satchurator, MXR Phase 90, MXR Bass Chorus Deluxe/Octave Deluxe/Bass Compressor/Envelope Filter/, Way Huge Pork Loin

Post Thanks / Like

Default Mutiny

Maxi...................

Bootsy Collins:
    I pledge allegiance to the funk, the whole funk, and nothing but the funk, so help me James, Sly and George, Amen!!

Guitars: 2010 American Special HSS Strat, 2010 CIC Squire CV ThinLine Tele, & 2006 MIM FSR Strat.

Basses: 1979 Peavey T-40, 2007 Ibanez SR 500, 2013 Ibanez SR375F, 2013 CIJ Fender Geddy Lee Jazz Bass, 2014 Sadowsky Will Lee VI, & 2014 Sadowsky Will Lee Metro V

Amps: Mesa Boogie BASS STRATEGY:Eight:88, Aguliar DB 4X12, Augilar DB 751, Genz Benz CTR500-210T/Focus 1X15 CAB, Fender Hot Rod Deville 410, VHT Deliverance 60/VHT 2X12 fat Bottom Cab, & VOX DA20

Effects: Boss ME-25, MXR Custom Baddass 78, MXR Custom Baddass modified O.D., Vox Joe Satriani Satchurator, MXR Phase 90, MXR Bass Chorus Deluxe/Octave Deluxe/Bass Compressor/Envelope Filter/, Way Huge Pork Loin

Post Thanks / Like

Default Mother's Finest

Although they may not be hidden but more like unsung never get the credit they deserve. They would open for anybody P-Funk, Aerosmith, Van Halen, Rolling Stones and push the headliner if not steal the show. Many folks fire them from tours for showing them up Rolls Royce of "Car Wash" fame fired just after 3 shows in Pittsburgh.
    Here is some 90's stuff and one sound check clip. They have been around since the early 70's.

Maxi...................

Bootsy Collins:

Post Thanks / Like

Jesse Cook. Great flamenco guitarist from Canada.
    EDIT: Looks like these don't allow embed, so visit youtube to watch.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast