Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Old but newbie

Post Thanks / Like

Default Old but newbie

Hey all, been a drummer most a my life, but due to age and abuse, I am now becoming a guitar player... Bit of a challenge as I have only 3 working fingers on my fret hand... the pinky was broken so badly that I can barley put pressure on it and it folds sideways, so I can sorta use it sparingly... hence no lessons nor any real help... SO I sit and let my fingers figure out stuff themselves... and they seem to do OK... other small setback is the injuries to my shoulders that have lost both collarbones and I have severe arthritis in my neck that shuts down my hands sometimes... so I play till either the burning in my shoulders is too much to bear, or I lose feeling in my fingers... But I will continue to love making music however primative it may be. I am lookin to maximize what I can do with 3 fingers.. I have looked at triads of course.. but alot of other chords take 4 fingers and that's not gonna happen anytime soon.... I will push the pinky to try to strengthen it some, but surgical damage to the ligament has it somewhat limited, and uncontrolable.Oh well enough poor me stuff, or as we like to call it my PMS... I am here to see what I can learn and maybe make a buddy or 2 ...

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Welcome to The Fret, Soulmann!
    You have come to the right place and are welcome.

Django Reinhardt happens to be a big influence around here. You might like him as well... (he used only 2 fingers and his thumb, in case you've never heard of him)

Guitar: Gibson SG Standard Natural Burst, Squier CV 50's Tele, Hell Guitars No. 2, Squier CV 50's Strat, Reverend Club King 290, Taylor 522e 12-Fret mahogany,
    Squier Vintage Modified Jaguar Bass Short Scale
    Amp: Fender Super Champ X2 Head, Egnater Tweaker 15, Fender Mustang I, Acoustic B20 1x12 bass amp
    Pedal: Budda Budwah wah, Wampler Ego Compressor, Electro-Harmonix Soul Food, Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive, Wampler Velvet Fuzz, Seven Sisters Eve Tremolo, TC Electronics Gravy Tri Chorus & Vibrato, Catalinbread Echorec, TC Electronic Alter Ego 2 Delay, Hardwire Supernatural Ambient Verb, MXR Carbon Copy, Catalinbread RAH, Big Muff Pi with Tone Wicker, BYOC Mouse 2.0 Distortion, BYOC Boost/OD-2

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

Hey man, welcome! Are you in , brotha?
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

WELCOME and I'll never complain about my carpal tunnel again.
    Keep rocking brother!!
    Maxi...................

Bootsy Collins:
    I pledge allegiance to the funk, the whole funk, and nothing but the funk, so help me James, Sly and George, Amen!!

Guitars: 2010 American Special HSS Strat, 2010 CIC Squire CV ThinLine Tele, & 2006 MIM FSR Strat.

Basses: 1979 Peavey T-40, 2007 Ibanez SR 500, 2013 Ibanez SR375F, 2013 CIJ Fender Geddy Lee Jazz Bass, 2014 Sadowsky Will Lee VI, & 2014 Sadowsky Will Lee Metro V

Amps: Mesa Boogie BASS STRATEGY:Eight:88, Aguliar DB 4X12, Augilar DB 751, Genz Benz CTR500-210T/Focus 1X15 CAB, Fender Hot Rod Deville 410, VHT Deliverance 60/VHT 2X12 fat Bottom Cab, & VOX DA20

Effects: Boss ME-25, MXR Custom Baddass 78, MXR Custom Baddass modified O.D., Vox Joe Satriani Satchurator, MXR Phase 90, MXR Bass Chorus Deluxe/Octave Deluxe/Bass Compressor/Envelope Filter/, Way Huge Pork Loin

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome!
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    Does anyone read the original post?
    Guitars: Gibson LP Studio, MIA Fender Precision, Carvin C350
    Amps: Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 + Avatar B212 / Genzler 12-3, Acoustic B20
    Pedals: Pod HD500X, Diamond Compressor, Tech 21 VT Bass, Sonic Research Turbo Tuner

Post Thanks / Like

Glad to have you here Soulmann and I admire your determination to enjoy your guitar. I too have problems like neck and shoulder pains on top of my lower back injury but I just love guitars. There's always a way to enjoy guitars.
    _____

GUITARS - Carvin DC127M - Carvin Bolt kit
    AMPS - Bogner Alchemist 112 - Blackheart Handsome Devil half stack
    FXs - Roger Linn Adrenalinn III - Boss GT-10
    _____

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome!
    -----------------------------------------
    I've just been on a once-in-a-lifetime holiday. I'll tell you what, never again.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kurtdaniel
    wow,,thats impressive..the love for music and the dedication really pushes us forward..
    I have a younger brother who was shot in his left arm years ago who also Was a drummer.today he does play guitar with just one finger using the open tuning E.the kid shocks me at how well he can do what he does and he ain't no kid anymore but then again neither am I.
    Life is like a camera, just focus on what’s important and capture the good times, develop from the negatives and if things don’t work out, just take another shot. ~ Anonymous

Guitars: 1967(year they came out): Fender Coronado II Wildwood I ,Fullerton ST- 4 Fat Strat , Esteban Legacy acous/elec,99 MIA Standard Fender Strat
    Amph's Original Roland Cube 15,Drive 30 w/spring reverb

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tig
    Welcome to The Fret, Soulmann!
    You have come to the right place and are welcome.

Django Reinhardt happens to be a big influence around here. You might like him as well... (he used only 2 fingers and his thumb, in case you've never heard of him)

Thanks for the welcome Tig...

Yes I look up to him as an inspiration...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Robert
    Hey man, welcome! Are you in , brotha?

Hey Robert, ya I am in Victoria BC ... bout as far west as ya can go without swimming LOL

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kiteman
    Glad to have you here Soulmann and I admire your determination to enjoy your guitar. I too have problems like neck and shoulder pains on top of my lower back injury but I just love guitars. There's always a way to enjoy guitars.

Cheers Kiteman, Ya I have a partially paralysed leg from a lower back injury that broke 2 vertabra and destroyed a disc.. it still gives me alot of pain as the surgery failed to relieve all the pressure on the nerves.. it took away my drumming... Oh was a semi professional drummer for 30 years, but the injuries have slowly taken that down to a very limited performance now. So I know what it takes to be a good musician... I practice pratice practice...

I just love making music... if I had nothing left but my head, I would find a way to make music LOL

Keep on keepin on

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by player
    I have a younger brother who was shot in his left arm years ago who also Was a drummer.today he does play guitar with just one finger using the open tuning E.the kid shocks me at how well he can do what he does and he ain't no kid anymore but then again neither am I.

Awesome story Player, thanks for sharing... I admire anyone that refuses to take a handicap as a handicap... good on yer Bro...

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Missed this one. Welcome!
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sunvalleylaw
    Missed this one. Welcome!

I walk quietly and carry a big guitar

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Soulmann
    Cheers Kiteman, Ya I have a partially paralysed leg from a lower back injury that broke 2 vertabra and destroyed a disc.. it still gives me alot of pain as the surgery failed to relieve all the pressure on the nerves.. it took away my drumming... Oh was a semi professional drummer for 30 years, but the injuries have slowly taken that down to a very limited performance now. So I know what it takes to be a good musician... I practice pratice practice...

I just love making music... if I had nothing left but my head, I would find a way to make music LOL

Keep on keepin on
    My head is a better guitar player than me.
    _____

GUITARS - Carvin DC127M - Carvin Bolt kit
    AMPS - Bogner Alchemist 112 - Blackheart Handsome Devil half stack
    FXs - Roger Linn Adrenalinn III - Boss GT-10
    _____

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kiteman
    My head is a better guitar player than me.

I do believe that is an illusion we all suffer from time to time.

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome aboard! You're just across the Strait from BC Don. I love Victoria, it's a great place. Glad to see that you're staying musical despite your injury!
    -Sean
    Guitars: Lots.
    Amphs: More than last year.
    Pedals: Many, although I go straight from guitar to amp more often lately.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FrankenFretter
    Welcome aboard! You're just across the Strait from BC Don. I love Victoria, it's a great place. Glad to see that you're staying musical despite your injury!
    Cheers Sean, I go to the Mainland every month to tend to my Mother who is 1/2 paralysed from a stroke... sure makes me glad I live on the Island LOL

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast