Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Upcoming Movie: True Grit (Joel & Ethen Coen)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Upcoming Movie: True Grit (Joel & Ethen Coen)

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Upcoming Movie: True Grit (Joel & Ethen Coen)

Looks like a can't miss movie from the Coen brothers,
    starring Jeff Bridges, Matt Damon, and Josh Brolin.

Comes out Christmas day. Only Jeff Bridges can play this role after John Wayne.

Trailer:
    http://movies.yahoo.com/movie/1810153253/video/22265614
    Guitar: Gibson SG Standard Natural Burst, Squier CV 50's Tele, Hell Guitars No. 2, Squier CV 50's Strat, Reverend Club King 290, Taylor 522e 12-Fret mahogany,
    Squier Vintage Modified Jaguar Bass Short Scale
    Amp: Fender Super Champ X2 Head, Egnater Tweaker 15, Fender Mustang I, Acoustic B20 1x12 bass amp
    Pedal: Budda Budwah wah, Wampler Ego Compressor, Electro-Harmonix Soul Food, Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive, Wampler Velvet Fuzz, Seven Sisters Eve Tremolo, TC Electronics Gravy Tri Chorus & Vibrato, Catalinbread Echorec, TC Electronic Alter Ego 2 Delay, Hardwire Supernatural Ambient Verb, MXR Carbon Copy, Catalinbread RAH, Big Muff Pi with Tone Wicker, BYOC Mouse 2.0 Distortion, BYOC Boost/OD-2

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

Well that ain't no chick flick, is it.

Looks like it could be pretty cool!

I love the Coen brothers' work.
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

Let me preface this by saying I am a big fan of the Coen brothers. I think they are spectacular filmmakers and among the only true originals working in Hollywood today. That is why it kinda irks me that this is their next project.

I had hoped filmmakers that are capable of generating the quality of original stories for which the Coen's have become known would avoid getting involved in this Hollywood trend of what I call "cover movies."

That is not to say that this won't be an excellent film because in all likelihood it will be. I just have an issue with the vast amount of remakes and "reboots" and "prequels" and all manner of other uninspired and unoriginal ideas that dominate the current movie market.

That said, I am sure I will see it because it's a Coen brothers film and they seldom disappoint.
    "I happen to have perfect situational awareness, Lana. Which cannot be taught, by the way. Like a poet's ... mind for ... to make the perfect words." - Sterling Archer

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by R_of_G
    Let me preface this by saying I am a big fan of the Coen brothers. I think they are spectacular filmmakers and among the only true originals working in Hollywood today. That is why it kinda irks me that this is their next project.

I had hoped filmmakers that are capable of generating the quality of original stories for which the Coen's have become known would avoid getting involved in this Hollywood trend of what I call "cover movies."

That is not to say that this won't be an excellent film because in all likelihood it will be. I just have an issue with the vast amount of remakes and "reboots" and "prequels" and all manner of other uninspired and unoriginal ideas that dominate the current movie market.

That said, I am sure I will see it because it's a Coen brothers film and they seldom disappoint.
    Ehhh... A cover film this time, an original next time. They're not done yet.

Besides, it's about time someone showed Hollywood how to do a re-make right. There have been more regrettable and forgettable re-makes than good ones in recent years.
    Ah, nothing relieves the discomfort of GAS pains like the sound of the UPS truck rumbling down your street. It's like the musician's Beano.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bloozcat
    Besides, it's about time someone showed Hollywood how to do a re-make right. There have been more regrettable and forgettable re-makes than good ones in recent years.
    I'd prefer if Hollywood didn't make remakes at all. It's not that I believe in the purity of the original films or anything like that. I just think originality should be the standard.
    "I happen to have perfect situational awareness, Lana. Which cannot be taught, by the way. Like a poet's ... mind for ... to make the perfect words." - Sterling Archer

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bloozcat
    The original True Grit was OK thanks to The Duke, but otherwise, not so great. Most old movies should not have been re-made. This one might just work.

Can anyone remember any re-makes that are better than the original? This will be a short list, I bet!
    Guitar: Gibson SG Standard Natural Burst, Squier CV 50's Tele, Hell Guitars No. 2, Squier CV 50's Strat, Reverend Club King 290, Taylor 522e 12-Fret mahogany,
    Amp: Fender Super Champ X2 Head, Egnater Tweaker 15, Fender Mustang I, Acoustic B20 1x12 bass amp
    Pedal: Budda Budwah wah, Wampler Ego Compressor, Electro-Harmonix Soul Food, Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive, Wampler Velvet Fuzz, Seven Sisters Eve Tremolo, TC Electronics Gravy Tri Chorus & Vibrato, Catalinbread Echorec, TC Electronic Alter Ego 2 Delay, Hardwire Supernatural Ambient Verb, MXR Carbon Copy, Catalinbread RAH, Big Muff Pi with Tone Wicker, BYOC Mouse 2.0 Distortion, BYOC Boost/OD-2

Post Thanks / Like

A western + Coen Brothers = epic awesomeness!

The original is one of my Duke faves, outside of The Shootist.

I will be in the theater when this comes out!
    Guitars:
    Fender 2006 MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS in 3TS
    Ibanez RG 570 with a bridge Invader
    ESP M II Deluxe with a Tune-o-Matic bridge
    Eleanor, the magical, mystical Road Worn wonder Tele
    Blackstar HT Club 40

Post Thanks / Like

I can hardly wait for this one! I love the Coen brothers. This looks really good.
    -Sean
    Guitars: Lots.
    Amphs: More than last year.
    Pedals: Many, although I go straight from guitar to amp more often lately.

Post Thanks / Like

I think the reason for remakes or covers of westerns is because alot of guys arnt sure how to make a successful new western. So its the safe bet. There has been several new westerns in the past 10-15 years or so but the only ones that I feel really stand out is Tombstone, Open Range and Broken Trail. There was some other decent to good ones, but not big enough to draw people to the theatre. The last really good western on the big screen in my eyes was a remake 3:10 to Yuma. I cant compaire to the orginal because I hadnt seen it till after I saw the new one and I really like the new and felt it comprimised my comparison. The key to making a good western though is the actors as much as the story. Playing a cowboy good or bad takes a certain feel and look. I think thats what made 3:10 to Yuma very good Russel Crowe surprised me. I think him, Robert Duvall and/or Sam Elliott should be in every western there will always be a role for one of them if they write it right.

Post Thanks / Like

Well, give me Tombstone with Kurt Russel and Val Kilmer over any of the old westerns about Wyatt Earp. Kevin Costner and crew did a decent job with Wyatt Earp but it had the misfortune of being released in the same time frame as Tombstone, which IMHO was superior in both the acting and the drama.

Tombstone is easily one of the best re-makes ever done. Kilmer's Doc Holiday is classic.
    Ah, nothing relieves the discomfort of GAS pains like the sound of the UPS truck rumbling down your street. It's like the musician's Beano.

Post Thanks / Like

When Kilmer gets a role he can wrap himself into 110% he is one of the best. I think every role he gets 90-100% wrapped into. But his Doc Holliday and Jim Morrison are legendary.

Post Thanks / Like

The Dude! In a western? Hmm...
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    Does anyone read the original post?
    Guitars: Gibson LP Studio, MIA Fender Precision, Carvin C350
    Amps: Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 + Avatar B212 / Genzler 12-3, Acoustic B20
    Pedals: Pod HD500X, Diamond Compressor, Tech 21 VT Bass, Sonic Research Turbo Tuner

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eric
    The Dude! In a western? Hmm...
    Yeah, The Dude playing The Duke!
    -Sean
    Guitars: Lots.
    Amphs: More than last year.
    Pedals: Many, although I go straight from guitar to amp more often lately.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jx2
    I think the reason for remakes or covers of westerns is because alot of guys arnt sure how to make a successful new western.
    Agree... 3:10 to Yuma was one of those rare re-makes that was better than the original. Give the man a cigar!

As for new westerns that worked, there was Unforgiven.

Post Thanks / Like

Now here's one to stretch the memories of Jeff Bridges fans. Anybody remember the 1975 movie Rancho Deluxe with Bridges and Sam Waterston of Law & Order fame. Harry Dean Stanton was in it as well as Slim Pickens who had a role near the end of the movie.

It was an offbeat tale about two drifters who meet in modern day Montana (Bridges and Waterston). Their dream was making it big as cattle rustlers so one day they could purchase a large spread and name it Rancho Deluxe. They eventually got caught by a famous marshall played by Pickens. It's funny to see today if only because Bridges and Waterston were so young in the movie.

Interestingly, Bridges met his wife on the set of this movie.

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

Coming soon! It's getting good reviews so far -
    http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/true-grit-2010/

I can't wait to see it!
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

So has anyone seen it yet?

I saw it Friday. It was, unsurprisingly, quite good, a much more faithful adaptation of the book than the 1969 film. Though there were some minor deviations from Portis' novel, the ones I noticed were purely situational and didn't anything significant.

The performances were first rate. As much attention as Bridges gets (and deservedly so) the best performance was Hailee Steinfeld's as Mattie. A faithful adaptation of the book demands a tremendous performance from Mattie and I thought Steinfeld captured it perfectly.

I expected Bridges to be excellent because he's Bridges, and he delivered. Matt Damon was also quite good as LeBouef, a significantly better actor for the role than Glen Campbell.

The score, once more by Coen film veteran Carter Burwell, was perfect.

It was pretty much what I expected of a Coen adaptation of True Grit and that is meant as a compliment. They're brilliant filmmakers and storytellers and they've made another excellent film.

Post Thanks / Like

We caught the movie a week ago. Great flick and one can't properly describe how Fabulous the female lead in this film is. She should get an award for her acting in this, for the way she delivered a dizzying array of rapid-fire lines.

While this is ostensibly a manly-man sort of film.....there's alot of the film that appeals to the ladies. My wife LOVED the movie.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Others that I know who have seen it say it is good. I have not been yet.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast