Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
New fret.net jam over Robert's slow blues backer - Page 3
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: New fret.net jam over Robert's slow blues backer

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Good on ya Cho! I thought you sounded great. I like your lines! I am glad to hear this coming together! It has been one of my favorite parts of the fret.net, hearing and playing with the fellow fretters. Again, way to go!

Yah, pento wank is pretty much all I got too. Ergo trying to do something new this time. Didn't work so far, but I'll hop in anyway when I get some time here. Alas, my son's soccer, my other son's boy scouts and helping with the color guard in the parade, and helping my daughter re-decorate her room got in the way of my getting anything recorded this weekend. Hoped to tonight, but another soccer game, and the weekly boy scout meeting, plus my son doing late homework on the computer killed that.

Now I am off for a quick business road trip for a couple days. I will take a guitar and my iRig so I can wank in my hotel room. Then hopefully this weekend will work out for adding something on. Since I have the master backing track, I can always all on more minutes if we fill up what we have left in the meantime. We have a few others hanging in the wings yet I bet!
    Last edited by sunvalleylaw; October 12th, 2010 at 10:59 PM.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

I like your part Chojin! A little too hot signal as mentioned before but I sure dig it
    I can't say that I've given up on a flanger cause I've never liked the effect either. I also can't say the same about Tremolo. I hate them both equally. - Tone2TheBone 2009

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the comments guys!

I remixed it an uploaded it again after the initial comments about it being too hot so I hope it's ok now.

Helliot: Totally agree with ya. Ever since I saw a Q&A session with BB King I've been trying to focus on space and individual notes. Basically trying to wring the best sound out of each note you play, whether by adding vibrato, bends, or even just letting the note ring out. I guess I forgot about all that doing that recording though Sometimes my left hand just goes off by itself it seems (like at the end of my bit)

Oh and "I'm not in any position to give someone advice about playing" Yeah you are! I've heard you play now But really, I'll take any feedback

Anyway, enough on my 60 seconds. NEXT!~!!

Post Thanks / Like

Ch0jin

I must have missed the "hot" take..
    seems to fall in nicely.. enjoyed every minute!

Jimmie Vaughan Strat , Squire 51
    Epi 56 GoldTop, SX "Vintage" Jazz Bass
    Zager 50, Guild GAD30R (Excellent)
    G-Dec 3 Thirty, Valve Junior & Cab
    Crate PowerBlock, Crate V33H
    JamVox, Studio GX With Mods/Farm 2.0.

Post Thanks / Like

Sadly, I'm not geared up for this kind of contribution, but I may be before long.

Regardless, THIS is very very cool. Collaboration, encouragement...and ultimately, just making music with friends. Cheers, SVL, for gettin' this off the ground

Cho, nice tone from your rig. What do you have paired with that JB in the neck?
    "It's never too late to be what you might have been" - Eliot

Guilars: '02 Heritage H-535 ASB; '04 Larrivée LV-03 w/Fishman Blend; '95 Washburn/Bourgeios D-55SW Cherokee
    Amphs: Boogie DC-2; DVM/BYOC Tweed Champlifier; Marshall AS50D
    Currently on Board: Ditto Looper; Boss TU-2; EB VP Jr; crybaby; DVM Spring Fever; DVM Mini Klone, Brena Effects Cali-Tremor tremolo; Strymon El Capistan

Post Thanks / Like

Lovin' the bluesey feel coming thru so far guys, great work all of you.
    Here's mine it's a bit slower, also I've left a bit of a gap between mine and Ch0jin to keep the 2 min timing consistent hope thats ok.
    I actually did this 2 people ago but others had uploaded before me, lol, so I've just slid it up to the next available space.

http://www.box.net/shared/dorxepyftp

Gear: old copy strat-neck pup, medium pick, Vox vt50 on manual, going into a tascam 8 track desk into soundcard....

Is it my imagination or is the backing track getting louder from the original? even when I wasn't playing audacity still peaked red with just the BT.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey, Ch0jin, your remix is way more in tune with the BT than the first one. Really sits nicely. And my comments about overplaying are in the context of me being one of the worst offenders in the history of the instrument. Keep up the great work. And BB is a pretty damn fine bar to aim for, in terms of taste and notes.
    helliott in Hamilton
    Guitars -- 2 PRS CE 24s 85/15 pups, PRS semi-hollow CE 22, Fender Baja Telecaster; Gibson Les Paul Standard; 80s Strat updated with custom 69 pups, Anniversary Strat with Fat 50s, Epiphone Sheraton re-issue; Yamaha 5-string bass; Yamaha TBS 6 and 12 string acoustics,Takamine acoustic, Fender nylon string acoustic
    Amps -- Mesa Boogie Lone Star; Boss Katana 100, Peavey Blueamaster 2x10, Line 6 Helix
    Pedals etc: Mosfet Full Drive 2; Ibanez Tube Screamer; Fairfield Barbershop OD, Diamond Compressor; Voodo Sparkledrive, Boss Digital Delay DD7; Boss TU2 Chromatic Tuner; Cry Baby wah

Post Thanks / Like

Nice playin, Lachy. Can't speak to your technical questions about the BT, but your feel for the track and kinda smoky playin fits right in. Liked the double note bends and double stops. Really expressive.
    Now, we've heard form Cho and Lachy, and there must be more players out there waiting to jump in. Thanks to SVL, here's your chance!
    helliott in Hamilton
    Guitars -- 2 PRS CE 24s 85/15 pups, PRS semi-hollow CE 22, Fender Baja Telecaster; Gibson Les Paul Standard; 80s Strat updated with custom 69 pups, Anniversary Strat with Fat 50s, Epiphone Sheraton re-issue; Yamaha 5-string bass; Yamaha TBS 6 and 12 string acoustics,Takamine acoustic, Fender nylon string acoustic
    Amps -- Mesa Boogie Lone Star; Boss Katana 100, Peavey Blueamaster 2x10, Line 6 Helix
    Pedals etc: Mosfet Full Drive 2; Ibanez Tube Screamer; Fairfield Barbershop OD, Diamond Compressor; Voodo Sparkledrive, Boss Digital Delay DD7; Boss TU2 Chromatic Tuner; Cry Baby wah

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tio Kimo
    Cho, nice tone from your rig. What do you have paired with that JB in the neck?
    Thanks man!

The JB lives with a '59. Technically they are SH-1 and SH-4. Fairly common setup as far as I know. The JB is in the bridge though, not the neck, the neck is all about those '59 tones. JB is wired for coil tap but I almost never use it.

Quote Originally Posted by Lachy
    ......also I've left a bit of a gap between mine and Ch0jin to keep the 2 min timing consistent hope thats ok.
    There's a 2 min timing thing? haha ooops.
    I actually finished mine where I did (musically, not time wise) thinking someone could really slide right in on the next bar. But still totally cool

That's a really nice clean sound you have going on there by the way. I would have guessed at a fender style guitar right away with that tone. Nice controlled and precise feel to it too.

Quote Originally Posted by Lachy
    Is it my imagination or is the backing track getting louder from the original? even when I wasn't playing audacity still peaked red with just the BT.
    Yeah wow, your right. I just compared the original BT only to the one I used (the spud, swede, helliot one) and yeah, the original is way lower level. Noo idea why though...

Post Thanks / Like

Good job Lachy!

This is imo the best thing with the fretnet, there are a lot of old threads with collabs in the archives.
    I can't say that I've given up on a flanger cause I've never liked the effect either. I also can't say the same about Tremolo. I hate them both equally. - Tone2TheBone 2009

Post Thanks / Like

Helliot, Chojin, Lachey..........all you guys sound great, and you all add your own thing to the backer. Very nice!
    Guitars
    Wilburn Versatare, '52 FrankenTele(Fender licensed parts), Fender USA Roadhouse Strat, Fender USA Standard B-bender Telecaster, Agile AL 3000 w/ WCR pickups, Ibanez MIJ V300 Acoustic, Squier Precision Bass,
    Amps
    Ceriatone Overtone Special, Musicman 212 Sixty-Five, Fender Blues Jr., Peavey Classic 30, Fender Super Reverb, Traynor YCV-40 WR Anniversary w/ matching 1x12 ext. cab, Epiphone SoCal 50w head w/ matching 4x12 cab (Lady Luck speakers), Avatar 2x12 semi-open back cab w/ Celestion speakers
    Pedals
    Digitech Bad Monkey, Digitech Jamman, DVM's ZYS, Goodrich volume pedal

Post Thanks / Like

Cheers guys

This is imo the best thing with the fretnet
    I agree, I love hearing different peoples takes on the same piece, I put em on my mp3 and take the dog for a walk.

Post Thanks / Like

Lachy

Enjoyed it...
    Probably me..but..
    I can't seem to find the download file link on yours though?
    Box.net is just giving a file options button with no option..

Jimmie Vaughan Strat , Squire 51
    Epi 56 GoldTop, SX "Vintage" Jazz Bass
    Zager 50, Guild GAD30R (Excellent)
    G-Dec 3 Thirty, Valve Junior & Cab
    Crate PowerBlock, Crate V33H
    JamVox, Studio GX With Mods/Farm 2.0.

Post Thanks / Like

Opps will fix asap.

Ok should work now, sorry bout that.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

This is so great we are getting so much participation! This was always my favorite part of the fret. I am back from out of town and am listening to the latest now. Not sure why the backer got louder. The original one I looped before everyone started recording has a consistent volume throughout. Is it bad enough for me to try to mess with? Or should we just keep going?

BTW, although everyone is giving me credit for getting this started, Robert should get credit. I just picked up his backer he made some months ago, and dusted it off and looped it. Thanks Robert for such a great track, and for a place like this where we can jam amongst friends, feeling comfortable enough to do so without worrying about being sneered at. It is really a wonderful privilege! Like I keep saying, I hope to get my contribution recorded this weekend!
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Yep, it's a nice BT and thanks Robert. But SVL, you had the idea to start the collab, so you get a share we well. Thanks to both of you. This is a one of the best aspects of music sites. Hope we do more of it.
    helliott in Hamilton

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I managed to get some rare guitar time tonight and couldn't resist jumping in on this one. My blues chops are somewhat lacking these days due to lack of practice but it was fun to play around with this. I'm using my US Deluxe strat into a PODxt connected via USB to my laptop and recorded using Reaper. The settings I downloaded from Line6's tone library (it's a Vince Gill setting - sess below). I decided to go as clean as possible on this one, I'm in from 10:19 to around 11:44.

http://www.box.net/shared/xnr3y26uua
    - Lev

Main Guitars: Fender US Deluxe HSS Strat, PRS SE C24, Fender Baja Tele
    Bass Guitar: Squier VM Jaguar Special
    Main Amp: Vox AC15
    Main Effects: Digitech EXP-7, Line6 M5, Soul Food, Sub n UP, Flashback, Polara Verb
    Vids: www.youtube.com/levguitar

Post Thanks / Like

Great stuff, Lev. You're right, it doesn't get any cleaner than that, which leaves nowhere to hide, but your playing and tone don't need it. Nicely done, fellow strat freak.
    helliott in Hamilton

Post Thanks / Like

That's a sweet sound and very nice impro Lev, especially liked the dual finger picking work!! I feel like playin' some guitar now.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast