Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New fret.net jam over Robert's slow blues backer

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default New fret.net jam over Robert's slow blues backer

Bringing this over from the "who do you want to jam with thread" The answer is I want to jam with you folks. The folks I want to jam with are right here. Mr. Swede, Robert, Spud, DVM, Old Guy, Justa, Warren, Aeolian, I would love to hear R_of_G, lots of the "newer" guys (basically I mean everyone since 2007).

We need to start up a new jam collaboration this fall. Fall is an excellent time for such things. I am thinking a bluesey backer of some kind. Preferably one that allows for going toward jazz, or rock, or just bluesing out, and can basically be extended for a long time so whoever wants to add on, can. Who wants to pick one? Suggestions? Edit: picked one below. I will put up my hack recording (later this weekend hopefully), so I would love it if all out there would feel comfortable contributing.

Ok, let's use the track Robert gave us (a slow blues in A) :

==> http://www.box.net/shared/50zk1m1zth

This one is nice and slow, has nice tones to play over, and a guy can either shred over this, or keep it simple and soulful. I probably cannot record anything until this weekend but will contribute then I hope. In the meantime, if anyone wants to hop in . . .

Tips if you have not done this before, it is not hard: download the track from box.net, import it into garageband or audacity or whatever, mic up your amph or plug your guitar into your interface, and record away. Adjust your levels in Audacity or Garageband so your contribution fits in the mix, save it as a MP3, then upload it back to box.net so others can add on. Easy! And don't worry if it is not your magnum opus or whatever, it's just jamming around.
    Last edited by Robert; October 7th, 2010 at 04:38 PM.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

You bet - here is the Box link -

Slow Blues in A -> http://www.box.net/shared/50zk1m1zth

You can remove the dropbox link from your post just so it doesn't confuse people.
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Robert
    You bet - here is the Box link -

Slow Blues in A -> http://www.box.net/shared/50zk1m1zth

You can remove the dropbox link from your post just so it doesn't confuse people.
    Done! Thanks Robert! I really like this track you recorded.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

- j. johnson

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks. This track is actually on my new upcoming blues lick product I am developing. It is the backing track for all the licks in this product, and how I play the rhythm guitar is part of the lesson as well. Just thought I'd throw that in there!
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Cool!
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

- j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Steve, I'd love to, but.......
    I've been through 2 computers since I've last recorded on Audacity (lightning strikes), and don't have it installed on the 'puter yet. Plus work's been crazy (12-14 hrs./day-6-7 days/wk.) so I've just not had time. But as soon as it slows down I'd love to get in on some collab. tunes again.
    I love that BT, btw, and I'd highly encourage all newer members to jump right in and get their feet wet.
    I've always loved the atmosphere and lack of judgemental comments here in our community, it's what makes it special!
    Guitars
    Wilburn Versatare, '52 FrankenTele(Fender licensed parts), Fender USA Roadhouse Strat, Fender USA Standard B-bender Telecaster, Agile AL 3000 w/ WCR pickups, Ibanez MIJ V300 Acoustic, Squier Precision Bass,
    Amps
    Ceriatone Overtone Special, Musicman 212 Sixty-Five, Fender Blues Jr., Peavey Classic 30, Fender Super Reverb, Traynor YCV-40 WR Anniversary w/ matching 1x12 ext. cab, Epiphone SoCal 50w head w/ matching 4x12 cab (Lady Luck speakers), Avatar 2x12 semi-open back cab w/ Celestion speakers
    Pedals
    Digitech Bad Monkey, Digitech Jamman, DVM's ZYS, Goodrich volume pedal

Post Thanks / Like

I'd like to as well, but I've got to figure out a way to mic my Jet City decently. Failing that, I might just try recording something through my EX-7.
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I don't need no instructions to know how to rock!"--Carl Brutananadilewski

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

OG, whenever you can, I know you will. And that it will be very enjoyable! Marnold, I would love to hear it no matter if it is simply a mic experiment or a take through the EX-7. Either way. I aim to get my take going this weekend. We should make that Mark Wein character do one too. and Robert, and Tone, and Eric and Hubberjub, and Helliot, and T-Ross and Shiner, and baldgit, and Kat and Ibanezjunkie and. . . (everyone) I aim to get something up this weekend or so. For me, my initial instincts work best anyway.
    Last edited by sunvalleylaw; October 7th, 2010 at 08:17 PM.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

- j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Hmm. Probably won't have much time until maybe tomorrow night, but I'll check it out. Cool!
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    Does anyone read the original post?
    Guitars: Gibson LP Studio, MIA Fender Precision, Carvin C350
    Amps: Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 + Avatar B212 / Genzler 12-3, Acoustic B20
    Pedals: Pod HD500X, Diamond Compressor, Tech 21 VT Bass, Sonic Research Turbo Tuner

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sunvalleylaw
    OG, whenever you can, I know you will. And that it will be very enjoyable! Marnold, I would love to hear it no matter if it is simply a mic experiment or a take through the EX-7. Either way. I aim to get my take going this weekend. We should make that Mark Wein character do one too. and Robert, and Tone, and Eric and Hubberjub, and Helliot, and T-Ross and Shiner, and baldgit, and Kat and Ibanezjunkie and. . . (everyone) I aim to get something up this weekend or so. For me, my initial instincts work best anyway.
    I'll try and give this a spin this afternoon!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Excellent!
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

- j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

I took the first minute. Who's next?
    http://www.box.net/shared/mfzc825m3d

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Thanks for starting it off Spudlley! Rocking as always!
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

- j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Awesome, Spud! Sounded great.

I wanna be in on this one. I found free amp sim software. I've just gotta find where I put my adapter plug, and a guitar cable and see if I can get 'er done!

I've played along with the track unamphed, and realized that my blues chops are fairly lacking these days.
    Guitars:
    Fender 2006 MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS in 3TS
    Ibanez RG 570 with a bridge Invader
    ESP M II Deluxe with a Tune-o-Matic bridge
    Eleanor, the magical, mystical Road Worn wonder Tele
    Blackstar HT Club 40

Post Thanks / Like

Hello Boys, Spud left about two minutes so I recorded something after his part (after 2:06)
    http://www.box.net/shared/t2py52z7hj
    I can't say that I've given up on a flanger cause I've never liked the effect either. I also can't say the same about Tremolo. I hate them both equally. - Tone2TheBone 2009

Post Thanks / Like

Very nice job, both of you!
    Guitars
    Wilburn Versatare, '52 FrankenTele(Fender licensed parts), Fender USA Roadhouse Strat, Fender USA Standard B-bender Telecaster, Agile AL 3000 w/ WCR pickups, Ibanez MIJ V300 Acoustic, Squier Precision Bass,
    Amps
    Ceriatone Overtone Special, Musicman 212 Sixty-Five, Fender Blues Jr., Peavey Classic 30, Fender Super Reverb, Traynor YCV-40 WR Anniversary w/ matching 1x12 ext. cab, Epiphone SoCal 50w head w/ matching 4x12 cab (Lady Luck speakers), Avatar 2x12 semi-open back cab w/ Celestion speakers
    Pedals
    Digitech Bad Monkey, Digitech Jamman, DVM's ZYS, Goodrich volume pedal

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SuperSwede
    Hello Boys, Spud left about two minutes so I recorded something after his part (after 2:06)
    http://www.box.net/shared/t2py52z7hj
    I didn't realize that I had done 2 minutes. I was looking at the counter in my DAW and apparently it wasn't in real time. Sorry for being a hog.

Nice restraint and vibrato Swede. Your tone is great too.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Awesome guys! I am right now taking what you did and appending 4 more rounds of the backer (about 4 min. each) so there will be 16 more minutes to fill. We can always add more. I will load it up and link it in a few minutes. You will have to do your own count in on the transition to start it off as I cut Robert's drum stick count in off to loop it, but there will be plenty to play over. Keep it up Fretters! Jam on!

Ok, here it is with Spud and Swede and 16 min more to go:

http://www.box.net/shared/ypgzyqrhar

I was working on my ideas last night. I hope to record a "draft" today some time, and maybe a final tomorrow.

Also, nothing says you cannot record a full version over the original backer and upload that for fretters to hear in addition to the jam track we are adding too. It has happened before, and it is fun to hear what other fretters do with a full song's amount of time.
    Last edited by sunvalleylaw; October 9th, 2010 at 09:41 AM.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

- j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Very cool. I've got the one with Spud and Swede and will add a bit to that this aft. Nice surprise on a Saturday!
    helliott in Hamilton
    Guitars -- 2 PRS CE 24s 85/15 pups, PRS semi-hollow CE 22, Fender Baja Telecaster; Gibson Les Paul Standard; 80s Strat updated with custom 69 pups, Anniversary Strat with Fat 50s, Epiphone Sheraton re-issue; Yamaha 5-string bass; Yamaha TBS 6 and 12 string acoustics,Takamine acoustic, Fender nylon string acoustic
    Amps -- Mesa Boogie Lone Star; Boss Katana 100, Peavey Blueamaster 2x10, Line 6 Helix
    Pedals etc: Mosfet Full Drive 2; Ibanez Tube Screamer; Fairfield Barbershop OD, Diamond Compressor; Voodo Sparkledrive, Boss Digital Delay DD7; Boss TU2 Chromatic Tuner; Cry Baby wah

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast