Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: New fret.net jam over Robert's slow blues backer

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I love it Lev! Beautiful clean tone and wonderful playing!
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Thanks for the kind comments guys. Nice to see one of these jams on the Fret again. There's lots of variation in tones and approaches on this piece, all of them great - nice to see.

...Still room for some more....
    - Lev

Main Guitars: Fender US Deluxe HSS Strat, PRS SE C24, Fender Baja Tele
    Bass Guitar: Squier VM Jaguar Special
    Main Amp: Vox AC15
    Main Effects: Digitech EXP-7, Line6 M5, Soul Food, Sub n UP, Flashback, Polara Verb
    Vids: www.youtube.com/levguitar

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lev
    Thanks for the kind comments guys. Nice to see one of these jams on the Fret again. There's lots of variation in tones and approaches on this piece, all of them great - nice to see.

...Still room for some more....

Is that the Strat with with CS69 pickups? It sure sounds good.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

No Spud, for this I used my US Deluxe strat, its got the much underrated SCN pickups. Most reviewers of this guitar complain that the SCN's cant do vintage strat tones but I disagree. For this I used the neck and middle Pickups but the trick on this guitar is to roll off the tone just a touch to give a slightly warmer tone.
    - Lev

Main Guitars: Fender US Deluxe HSS Strat, PRS SE C24, Fender Baja Tele
    Bass Guitar: Squier VM Jaguar Special
    Main Amp: Vox AC15
    Main Effects: Digitech EXP-7, Line6 M5, Soul Food, Sub n UP, Flashback, Polara Verb
    Vids: www.youtube.com/levguitar

Post Thanks / Like

Well it sounds really good, and to my ears, vintage. That makes me think differently about the SCNs now.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

Awesome Lev!
    I can't say that I've given up on a flanger cause I've never liked the effect either. I also can't say the same about Tremolo. I hate them both equally. - Tone2TheBone 2009

Post Thanks / Like

LEV outstanding... enjoying all the sounds..

Jimmie Vaughan Strat , Squire 51
    Epi 56 GoldTop, SX "Vintage" Jazz Bass
    Zager 50, Guild GAD30R (Excellent)
    G-Dec 3 Thirty, Valve Junior & Cab
    Crate PowerBlock, Crate V33H
    JamVox, Studio GX With Mods/Farm 2.0.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Ok, here is mine, and I added a couple more loops of the backer. I come in after Lev at 11:43.

http://www.box.net/shared/l331n6ap4u

Mine was an experiment. I was trying to break out of my normal pentatonic wank, and basically stole some lines and ideas from a famous jazz horn player (I am interested if anyone guesses the song and artist.), and tried for a Dorian oriented feel. I obviously have not been playing a lot of lead lines in blues lately. Lots of big shoes were ahead of me in line. But what the hey?! I may record another take tomorrow, . . . but in the meantime here it is, lumps and all! Who's next?

Oh yeah, gear . . . Hagstrom Viking into DVM's Rabid Rodent set to Red LED Overdrive setting, distortion set at 9:30, filter just north of neutral to add a little bite, a little bit of '63 spring verb out of the M9, into my Fender Concert mic'd with my SM57 into the Toneport UX2, Gearbox and Garageband, no effects applied in either.'

EDIT: I hear upon listening today that I was a bit tentative as I got into the licks. I may keep working on this idea and see if I can't smooth it out. but the experiments that are not completely successful teach you as much or more than those that come out just as you expect right away. Play on!
    Last edited by sunvalleylaw; October 17th, 2010 at 01:45 PM.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

- j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

All of y'all sound great!

I gotta give you props for stepping outside your comfort zone, SVL.
    Guitars:
    Fender 2006 MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS in 3TS
    Ibanez RG 570 with a bridge Invader
    ESP M II Deluxe with a Tune-o-Matic bridge
    Eleanor, the magical, mystical Road Worn wonder Tele
    Blackstar HT Club 40

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Katastrophe
    All of y'all sound great!

I gotta give you props for stepping outside your comfort zone, SVL.
    Thanks Kat. I transposed the horn lines from a different key, and had to make them fit a different rhythm/tempo/feel from the original song, but it made me try something a bit different anyway. I am going to keep working on the idea and see if it develops. Ok, whose next? Kat, got anytime to rip something this weekend?
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

- j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

I might try to slip a solo in tomorrow (or is it later today?), on a study break. The part I need is super cheap (pennies, really). Then it's just a matter of figuring out the amph software, and reloading Audacity.
    Guitars:
    Fender 2006 MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS in 3TS
    Ibanez RG 570 with a bridge Invader
    ESP M II Deluxe with a Tune-o-Matic bridge
    Eleanor, the magical, mystical Road Worn wonder Tele
    Blackstar HT Club 40

Post Thanks / Like

SVL, your officially a Viking now!

Now this must be the longest collab on the fretnet yet!
    I can't say that I've given up on a flanger cause I've never liked the effect either. I also can't say the same about Tremolo. I hate them both equally. - Tone2TheBone 2009

Post Thanks / Like

SVL Enjoyed it.. got me saying heck join in...

http://www.box.net/shared/v6lgucc5v3

Epi 56 Goldtop Bridge pickup rolled back a bit thru JamVox AC30 setting with some delay. starting about 14:30 for a short period...

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Thanks Swede, yeah with 26 minutes of backer and 15:50 filled up after Justa, this has to be the longest one!

Nice Justa! I am glad you joined in! about 10 more minutes left on the backer. Who's next?
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

- j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

What a nice and mellow sound Justa!

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

Great job, everyone! It's so great to hear you all play... I really enjoy this.

Thanks Steve for picking this all up again - I appreciate it.

Great stuff guys!
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Robert
    Great job, everyone! It's so great to hear you all play... I really enjoy this.

Thanks Steve for picking this all up again - I appreciate it.

Great stuff guys!

There is room left for you too

Post Thanks / Like

I was listening throughout the last couple of days, always looking forward to hearing the next take on this brilliant backer. Wow, great Blues playing going on here! SVL thanks for initiating this whole thing!

So today I had some minutes, recorded a solo and....the box.net upload is limited to 25MB....darn it.

Hope you guys don't kill me, but I cut off all the first takes so far ( ) and created Part2 with lots of backing track after my solo for all the guys that still follow.

Hope you enjoy this take.
    I have recorded with Line6 Gearbox and my 1976 Fender Strat.

http://www.box.net/shared/81zc77uqfc
    "A lot of people in the industry want to blame downloading for the state of the business. But I think if most music wasn't shit to begin with people wouldn't be downloading it for free," - Corey Taylor (Slipknot)

Post Thanks / Like

Jimi75 Enjoyed it!

with no disrespect Jimi.. I didn't want part one to end on my last "sour note" and this started with a good player and I wanted to make sure there was one on the end also..to hide my bad... so here is part one continued with Jimi attached at 15:47...I thought it blended well actually..but i got ears like my playing..lol

http://www.box.net/shared/zh2ms10kon

I rechecked the bit size on previous saves..Yours was in 256bit Jimi75, probably why it was so large for box.net. I think at 128bit all works fine size wise and not much difference in quality. hope this helped..
    if not.. me.
    Last edited by Justaguyin_nc; October 19th, 2010 at 04:05 AM.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast