Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Should I go ahead and void my warranty?

View Poll Results: Should I put a pickguard on my Tribute Les Paul?

Voters
9. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yeah, screw the warranty! Do it!

5 55.56%
  • No, leave it as is in case anything ever happens and you have to use the warranty.

3 33.33%
  • Sell it and buy another Agile!

1 11.11%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Should I go ahead and void my warranty?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Should I go ahead and void my warranty? Update w/pics!

I'm thinking about putting a pickguard on my Epi Tribute LP. Since it didn't come with one, I'm certain this will void my limited lifetime warranty from Epi. I just think the plaintops look better with a pickguard.

So, what do you think, Fretters? Go ahead and do it, or just live with the plain jane looks?

Here's the options:

The guitar as it came to me, bare.

And next to the Agile, with pickguard wedged between the pickup rings.

What say you all?
    Last edited by FrankenFretter; October 15th, 2010 at 09:09 PM.
    -Sean
    Guitars: Lots.
    Amphs: More than last year.
    Pedals: Many, although I go straight from guitar to amp more often lately.

Post Thanks / Like

Go for it. Most warranties end up covering nothing anyway, that's why they throw the 'limited' part on. Even if you were to discover a coverable manufacturing defect, good luck trying to get them to pay out. It's your guitar now, put the pick guard on and enjoy.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bcdon
    Go for it. Most warranties end up covering nothing anyway, that's why they throw the 'limited' part on. Even if you were to discover a coverable manufacturing defect, good luck trying to get them to pay out. It's your guitar now, put the pick guard on and enjoy.
    Yeah, I remember you saying something along those lines a while back when we were talking about warranties, Don. You're probably right. They usually find some way of weaseling out of fixing things for you.

Thanks!
    -Sean

Post Thanks / Like

First off, Gibson does honor their warranty. I realized there was a defect with my factory second Dot Studio involving neck and/or bridge set, where the strings weren't centered on the fingerboard. I sent it to Gibson Nashville, and they sent me a brand-new replacement, also a second. In another story I read on the Epi corporate forum, a member sent his Epi back (I don't remember what for). The guitar had aftermarket pickups in it. Not only did they replace the guitar, but they removed the pickups and sent them back, neatly packaged.

Sean, I don't have a recommendation as to the warranty, but I can recommend a way to have one less hole in your LP, should you decide to install the guard: Instead of a screw at the top, use 2-sided mounting tape. That's how I did my Dot Studio when I added a guard. It's been holding perfectly for over 2 years. And if I ever decide to remove it, the tape peels off nicely and there won't be a hole in the top of my guitar.
    Last edited by Heywood Jablomie; October 9th, 2010 at 10:15 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't think a hunk of plastic ever adds to a guitar's looks. Leave it off.

Of course, if you really have your heart set on it, follow Heywood's instructions. You get the best of both worlds that way.
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Heywood Jablomie
    First off, Gibson does honor their warranty. I realized there was a defect with my factory second Dot Studio involving neck and/or bridge set, where the strings weren't centered on the fingerboard. I sent it to Gibson Nashville, and they sent me a brand-new replacement, also a second. In another story I read on the Epi corporate forum, a member sent his Epi back (I don't remember what for). The guitar had aftermarket pickups in it. Not only did they replace the guitar, but they removed the pickups and sent them back, neatly packaged.

Sean, I don't have a recommendation as the warranty, but I can recommend a way to have one less hole in your LP, should you decide to install the guard: Instead of a screw at the top, use 2-sided mounting tape. That's how I did my Dot Studio when I added a guard. It's been holding perfectly for over 2 years. And if I ever decide to remove it, the tape peels off nicely and there won't be a hole in the top of my guitar.
    Hmmm...food for thought. Not a bad idea at all.

Thanks Heywood and Matt for your input.
    -Sean

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I think I might like it better with the PG. Someone used double-sided tape on a homemade PG that he made for the PRS I had for a little bit. Held great and came off pretty easily when I felt like removing it.

North of the Equator: I am a Southerner, Southern Ontario!
    Post Thanks / Like

I had an issue with my Gibson Les Paul Gold top finish checking. Gibson would absolutley not do anything about finish issues. Take a look at their warranty.
    Putting two tiny screw holes in the guitar will not alter any warranty that you might have on the rest of the guitar. I would probably go with a Black guard and trim rings etc. They look really nice on a Cherry sunblurst. Gotta love those plain tops. Creme looks stock and would be the cheapest route.
    The Blues is alright!

Guitars: 1968 Gibson SG, 2005 Gibson SG Standard, 2006 Gibson LP Classic Gold top, 2004 Epiphone Elitist LP Custom, 1996 Gibson Les Paul Standard. 2001 Epiphone Sheraton II, 2007 Epiphone G400.
    Fender Strats: 1996 Fender 68 Reissue CIJ, 2008 Squier CV 50s, 2009 Squier CV 50s Tele Butterescotch Blonde

Amps: Blues Junior Special edition Jensen in Brown Tolex with Wheat front, 65 Deluxe Reverb reissue,1970 Sonax reverb by Traynor, Avatar Custom 2/12 Cabinet with Eminence Legend V1216 speakers,
    2008 DSL100 Marshall Amp , Fender Super Champ XD,Fender Vibro Champ XD

Effects and Pedals: Fulltone Fulldrive II, Fulltone OCD, Fulltone Mini Deja Vibe, Fulltone Fat Boost, Dunlop Crybaby Wah, Boss DS1, Boss DD20 Giga Delay, Boss TU2 tuner, Boss BD2, Ibanez TS9 Tube screamer, Zoom 505. Radial tonebone hot british.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ZMAN
    I had an issue with my Gibson Les Paul Gold top finish checking. Gibson would absolutley not do anything about finish issues. Take a look at their warranty.
    Putting two tiny screw holes in the guitar will not alter any warranty that you might have on the rest of the guitar. I would probably go with a Black guard and trim rings etc. They look really nice on a Cherry sunblurst. Gotta love those plain tops. Creme looks stock and would be the cheapest route.
    I remember that thread, Z. I already have the blackout treatment on my Agile cherryburst LP. For the Tribute, I want to stay with a more traditional look. I like the plain top too, but I think it looks better with the pickguard. I recently decided to remove the black pickguard on my Agile, because the flame top looks so nice it seems like a shame to hide it.
    -Sean

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FrankenFretter
    I remember that thread, Z. I already have the blackout treatment on my Agile cherryburst LP. For the Tribute, I want to stay with a more traditional look. I like the plain top too, but I think it looks better with the pickguard. I recently decided to remove the black pickguard on my Agile, because the flame top looks so nice it seems like a shame to hide it.
    I have had Epi LPs with both the Creme and the Black. I liked the black because it was a Custom flame top. The Creme looks nice as well. I had a very nice Fireburst Studio that came without PG. I was a little upset with that, but realized I am not a strummer so no need for one. Their official comment was that any of the finishes where the grain shows through, they either have no gaurd or they put an optional one in the case.
    I personally would not put one on your guitar. I looks Maaavellous.
    The Blues is alright!

Guitars: 1968 Gibson SG, 2005 Gibson SG Standard, 2006 Gibson LP Classic Gold top, 2004 Epiphone Elitist LP Custom, 1996 Gibson Les Paul Standard. 2001 Epiphone Sheraton II, 2007 Epiphone G400.
    Fender Strats: 1996 Fender 68 Reissue CIJ, 2008 Squier CV 50s, 2009 Squier CV 50s Tele Butterescotch Blonde

Amps: Blues Junior Special edition Jensen in Brown Tolex with Wheat front, 65 Deluxe Reverb reissue,1970 Sonax reverb by Traynor, Avatar Custom 2/12 Cabinet with Eminence Legend V1216 speakers,

Effects and Pedals: Fulltone Fulldrive II, Fulltone OCD, Fulltone Mini Deja Vibe, Fulltone Fat Boost, Dunlop Crybaby Wah, Boss DS1, Boss DD20 Giga Delay, Boss TU2 tuner, Boss BD2, Ibanez TS9 Tube screamer, Zoom 505. Radial tonebone hot british.

Post Thanks / Like

Here's a picture of my Agile AL3K with the blackout treatment. I really like the black on Cherry Flame as well, Z.

-Sean

Post Thanks / Like

I see that you even saved some money but skipping the strings. ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by FrankenFretter
    Here's a picture of my Agile AL3K with the blackout treatment. I really like the black on Cherry Flame as well, Z.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bcdon
    I see that you even saved some money by skipping the strings. ;-)
    They just got in the way. I play much faster now.
    -Sean

Post Thanks / Like

I'd leave it off. I took the pickguard off of my Agile and I like it better that way. For now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    Does anyone read the original post?
    Guitars: Gibson LP Studio, MIA Fender Precision, Carvin C350
    Amps: Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 + Avatar B212 / Genzler 12-3, Acoustic B20
    Pedals: Pod HD500X, Diamond Compressor, Tech 21 VT Bass, Sonic Research Turbo Tuner

Post Thanks / Like

That triple binding sure looks good on those Agiles. What the heck change some plastic and you have a "new" guitar. BTW guys my tech turned me on to a pretty good trick. You don't need to lose the strings when you change out rings etc. You can loosen all the strings and unhook the stop tail piece with the strings attached. A piece of tape to hold everything in place then just slip the tail piece back on and tighten things up. Saves a lot of strings.
    The Blues is alright!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ZMAN
    BTW guys my tech turned me on to a pretty good trick. You don't need to lose the strings when you change out rings etc. You can loosen all the strings and unhook the stop tail piece with the strings attached. A piece of tape to hold everything in place then just slip the tail piece back on and tighten things up. Saves a lot of strings.
    Yeah, I would've done that if I hadn't wanted to put 10s on there. The 9s that came on it just felt too light.
    -Sean

W. Branch of Susquehanna River, Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Guard.

Personally I like my Tribute without the pickguard, stock.

I will leave mine stock, without a pickguard.

If I put a pickguard on it I would probably go for the black treatment.

Another factor: when you put the pickguard on it, it technically won't be a Tribute anymore, it will be something else - but who cares. It's yours. Do with it whatever you want.

I really like my Tribute. I have a new Agile AL 3100 with top and bottom body binding and it is a totally awesome guitar, very classy and expensive looking with beautiful tone, stock. My Tribute is at least the equal of this guitar.

I think the Tribute has to be one of the best Epiphones ever made. It far surpasses any of my other Epi's.

I just bought a new Epi SG Faded in cherry. Awesome guitar at a modest price. I like it better than my Gibson SG Faded that was stolen.

I'm going to play myself to sleep tonight with the new SG thru my Tweaker. I have caught myself playing in my sleep lately. No kidding. I doze off and wake up playing. Ha ha. That's funny. My playing is becoming intuitive.

I'd say, leave the guard off and enjoy the natural wood grain.

Are you grooving on that Tribute? I'm really liking mine, totally bonded. I hope you are not having an identity conflict with that beautiful guitar. It is a really great guitar.
    Duffy Bolduc
    South Williamsport, Pa.

"Now all the things that use to mean so much to me has got me old before my time." G. Allman, "Old Before My Time", Hittin' the Note.

Major changes to guitars and amps, to be updated soon.

Fiance - Supportive of musical art

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Duffy
    Personally I like my Tribute without the pickguard, stock.

I will leave mine stock, without a pickguard.

If I put a pickguard on it I would probably go for the black treatment.

Another factor: when you put the pickguard on it, it technically won't be a Tribute anymore, it will be something else - but who cares. It's yours. Do with it whatever you want.

I really like my Tribute. I have a new Agile AL 3100 with top and bottom body binding and it is a totally awesome guitar, very classy and expensive looking with beautiful tone, stock. My Tribute is at least the equal of this guitar.

I think the Tribute has to be one of the best Epiphones ever made. It far surpasses any of my other Epi's.

I just bought a new Epi SG Faded in cherry. Awesome guitar at a modest price. I like it better than my Gibson SG Faded that was stolen.

I'm going to play myself to sleep tonight with the new SG thru my Tweaker. I have caught myself playing in my sleep lately. No kidding. I doze off and wake up playing. Ha ha. That's funny. My playing is becoming intuitive.

I'd say, leave the guard off and enjoy the natural wood grain.

Are you grooving on that Tribute? I'm really liking mine, totally bonded. I hope you are not having an identity conflict with that beautiful guitar. It is a really great guitar.

Yeah Duffy, I'm still loving the Tribute. Best guitar I've ever owned, but I do have to say that my AL3K is a pretty darn close runner-up. It does make me kind of mad that I paid so much for the Tribute and there are some craftsmanship issues; some of the block inlays are not parallel with the frets, the 1st string will not intonate correctly, and there are little cosmetic flaws in the finish that are slightly irritating. My Agile was almost $100 less because of a very tiny pockmark in the clearcoat near the neck tone control. That is the ONLY flaw I can find on the Agile.

The grain doesn't look bad, but...I tend to like the look of an LP with a pickguard for the most part. The flame top on the Agile looks so good, I took the guard off, but I may put it back on later. Hard to say.

So far, the double-sided foam tape that Heywood suggested is winning, but I'm still thinking about it.
    -Sean

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I'm with Marnold, Eric & Duffy - looks way better without the useless piece of plastic. When I bought my standard, the first thing to do was toss that pickguard to the dumpster.
    Dee

"When life's a biatch, be a horny dog"

Amps: Marshall JVM 410H w/ Plexi Cap mod, Choke Mod & Negative Feedback Removal mod, 4x12", Behringer GMX110, Amplitube 3/StealthPedal

Half a dozen custom built/bastardized guitars all with EMG's, mostly 85's, Ibanez Artwood acoustic & Yamaha SGR bass, Epiphone Prophecy SG, Vox Wah, Pitchblack tuner plus assorted pedals, rack gear etc. for home studio use.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast