Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
NGD:Yamaha RGX312

Thread: NGD:Yamaha RGX312

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default NGD:Yamaha RGX312

I got this VERY beat-up yamaha for very cheap...I was looking for a super-shredder with a floyd for cheap, simply for recording at the PC when I need super-fast shred stuff and whammy tricks. So when I saw this one already with an EMG, I grabbed it no matter the super-shitty looks and state. Broken nut, no locks, all beat up and very badly repainted with so much dings and cracks it could be easy to see it had been red once, and SO worn frets I was quite worried there wasn't enough metal for a fret job without new frets.

I got it before 23:00 last night, and spent an hour on it then and 2 hours this morning and now it's done.

First I sanded it proper, and applied an oil finish. Then I filed the frets properly, leveled the whole neck carefully, oiled, cleaned, polished.

Then I made a new nut for it, wanted a super low action, and found an old locking part I fitted, and stringed up with light 009 strings. Intonation setting and minor adjustments, and needed a dab of new solder and knobs plus schaller locks, and then it was done.

And needless to say, it is indeed a shredder extraordinaire. Very flat and wide fretboard, thin neck and EMG81 and a floyd...what else could it be. Compared to my other guitars with more traditional radiuses and narrower, normal necks this practically plays itself with ultra-easy tapping and super-fast low end runs and riffs. The floyd is a bit worn but still works well - might have to put in a Gotoh later.

Rather low-filed frets, next to insanely low action now and wide, flat neck also means it's much harder to do bends though, have to concentrate so the strings don't slip away as they are so close to the frets. But for what I wanted it for, it's superb, way better than I imagined when I first started working on it because it was a true junker.

Pics:

Dee

"When life's a biatch, be a horny dog"

Amps: Marshall JVM 410H w/ Plexi Cap mod, Choke Mod & Negative Feedback Removal mod, 4x12", Behringer GMX110, Amplitube 3/StealthPedal

Half a dozen custom built/bastardized guitars all with EMG's, mostly 85's, Ibanez Artwood acoustic & Yamaha SGR bass, Epiphone Prophecy SG, Vox Wah, Pitchblack tuner plus assorted pedals, rack gear etc. for home studio use.

Post Thanks / Like

Nice! I like the chicken head knobs.
    Guitars:
    Fender 2006 MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS in 3TS
    Ibanez RG 570 with a bridge Invader
    ESP M II Deluxe with a Tune-o-Matic bridge
    Eleanor, the magical, mystical Road Worn wonder Tele
    Blackstar HT Club 40

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I'd hit it.

Post Thanks / Like

Cool. I thought the knobs were pretty funny too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    Does anyone read the original post?
    Guitars: Gibson LP Studio, MIA Fender Precision, Carvin C350
    Amps: Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 + Avatar B212 / Genzler 12-3, Acoustic B20
    Pedals: Pod HD500X, Diamond Compressor, Tech 21 VT Bass, Sonic Research Turbo Tuner

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Yeah, I only had those or white strat knobs lying round...didn't want to buy anything to finish it...but I think I'll keep these, they're nicely eclectic.
    Dee

Amps: Marshall JVM 410H w/ Plexi Cap mod, Choke Mod & Negative Feedback Removal mod, 4x12", Behringer GMX110, Amplitube 3/StealthPedal

Half a dozen custom built/bastardized guitars all with EMG's, mostly 85's, Ibanez Artwood acoustic & Yamaha SGR bass, Epiphone Prophecy SG, Vox Wah, Pitchblack tuner plus assorted pedals, rack gear etc. for home studio use.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Updated the pics!

It gnawed at me what picture had a background just like the guitar color, till it dawned...American Beauty cover! So I used that to hide the empty holes.

Also added a switch which does nothing but hides the holes.
    Dee

Post Thanks / Like

Sweet, Deeaa. I love my Yamaha's. They are great for the price.
    Ronnie

Guitars: Washburn WI64DL Idol, Yamaha Pacifica 112, Yamaha EG112C, Washburn House of Blues Electric, Washburn G30 Acoustic

Amps: Crate GX1200H Head, Crate 4x12 Cabinet, Crate GLX65 12" Combo, Johnson 15 watt, Fender Frontman 25R

Pedals: Cry Baby Wah, DOD FX20-B Stereo Phaser, Danelectro Cool Cat Transparent Overdrive, Daneletro CM2 Metal II, Danelectro FAB Chorus, Danelectro FAB Flange