Thread: What's the pedal you can not live without?

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

Default What's the pedal you can not live without?

I know we have had this type of question before, but let's do it again!

If you had to pick one pedal only, which one would you choose? The pedal you can not live without, regardless of amp.

My pick is the Maxon SD-9. Why? Well, because it is so simple yet at the same time, extremely versatile. I can make it sound like a good overdrive as well as a high gain pedal for solos. It's really remarkable that it can be so versatile, although I suspect it's a very simple design in the end.

Bear in mind, I am quite tired of that SRV-copy-cat tone, so I enjoy a rockier, fatter tone much more, like what the SD-9 delivers.

Also, if I had to play only blues gigs where SRV style of tone is expected, my pick would be the Zonkin' Yellow Screamer built my DuhVoodooMan! No doubt.

So what's your pick?
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

First of all, multis like the M9 or M13 don't count. (of course you can correct me, but that is what I think based on how you asked the question.) That said, for me, . . .

The Winner. The ZYS. Duhvoodooman's Zonkin' Yellow Screamer. Hands down. Has a boost, and a sweet overdrive, and is super adjustable and modifiable for different sounds. I have seen people answer a tuner, but I have an iPhone that tunes, plus other tuners that work fine. The ZYS does a whole lot that I would not want to give up.

A very close second. If I had not said the ZYS, I would have said the Rabid Rodent. It has a bunch essentially 6 distortion modes, and 6 overdrive modes, if you count the reutz switch that substantially changes each of the 3 overdrives and 3 Distortions. Now that I right this, because of that, I almost have to choose it over the ZYS. But the ZYS is such a sweet overdrive.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Well, I've used my Jackhammer with pretty much everything I've had for years on end, so that'd be it. Gimme an amp that can give a sort of almost-clean crunchy basic sound, and all I need is the Jack and my EMG's and I'm happy.
    Dee

"When life's a biatch, be a horny dog"

Amps: Marshall JVM 410H w/ Plexi Cap mod, Choke Mod & Negative Feedback Removal mod, 4x12", Behringer GMX110, Amplitube 3/StealthPedal

Half a dozen custom built/bastardized guitars all with EMG's, mostly 85's, Ibanez Artwood acoustic & Yamaha SGR bass, Epiphone Prophecy SG, Vox Wah, Pitchblack tuner plus assorted pedals, rack gear etc. for home studio use.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sunvalleylaw
    The Winner. The ZYS. Duhvoodooman's Zonkin' Yellow Screamer.
    A very close second. If I had not said the ZYS, I would have said the Rabid Rodent.
    These are the 2 pedals I won't do without, even with multi-effects available. Mine are the original BYOC versions with slightly less mod's than the DVM versions, but essentially the same sweetness.

I put the Mouse/Rodent slightly back in second place as well, only because the tube screamer covers so many different tones and styles.

However, when neither of these pedals is even on, the MRX Carbon Copy analog delay pedal is on over 90% of the time. Maybe that is what I can't live without...
    Guitar: Gibson SG Standard Natural Burst, Squier CV 50's Tele, Hell Guitars No. 2, Squier CV 50's Strat, Reverend Club King 290, Taylor 522e 12-Fret mahogany,
    Squier Vintage Modified Jaguar Bass Short Scale
    Amp: Fender Super Champ X2 Head, Egnater Tweaker 15, Fender Mustang I, Acoustic B20 1x12 bass amp
    Pedal: Budda Budwah wah, Wampler Ego Compressor, Electro-Harmonix Soul Food, Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive, Wampler Velvet Fuzz, Seven Sisters Eve Tremolo, TC Electronics Gravy Tri Chorus & Vibrato, Catalinbread Echorec, TC Electronic Alter Ego 2 Delay, Hardwire Supernatural Ambient Verb, MXR Carbon Copy, Catalinbread RAH, Big Muff Pi with Tone Wicker, BYOC Mouse 2.0 Distortion, BYOC Boost/OD-2

Post Thanks / Like

For me, Id have to go with a chorus pedal. Which one you ask. Well that I havent figured out yet. Im quite found of MXR stuff so probably the Stereo or the Zakk model.

I prefer to get my distoration from the head, Im hoping to get a Randall MTS head this summer. With the modules should be able to get exactly what I want just from the head.

Id also like to get better with a good wah and end up with a set up of just a amp and a wah. Easy and simple.

Post Thanks / Like

Uh....Korg Pitchblack?

Actually, the only stompbox I have these days is a Tech 21 Sansamp GT2, so I guess it'd be that. Been using that and nothing else these days at church while going DI to the house.

I'm considering looking for a chorus and/or Bad Monkey again, however.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    Does anyone read the original post?
    Guitars: Gibson LP Studio, MIA Fender Precision, Carvin C350
    Amps: Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 + Avatar B212 / Genzler 12-3, Acoustic B20
    Pedals: Pod HD500X, Diamond Compressor, Tech 21 VT Bass, Sonic Research Turbo Tuner

Post Thanks / Like

well...lol...this week it's the catalinbread dls,,,everything from sparkle to cranked marshall.
    guitars-esp m1,esp vintage plus strat,85 gibson LP std,Hamer std,hagstrom xl-5,takamine 330r
    amps-egnater tweaker,epi vj w/brat mod
    efx-byoc/dvm comp, j cantrell wah,ocd,catalinbread dls,wampler plextortion,ibanez chorus,tech21 boost dla

Post Thanks / Like

Hmm. I don't know if there's a pedal I'd say that I can't do without. I'd probably say my delay, but I'd be lying if I said I "need" it since I played so long without one. My DVM-made OD2 would be a good choice too, but once again, I don't use it all the time. I wouldn't want to be without those two, but there are none that I cannot live without.
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like

There aren't ANY pedal that I CAN'T live without, however the one I use
    the most is my Hardwire RV-7 Stereo Reverb. After that it would be my
    ProCo SOLO OD/Dist. pedal.
    LIVE AND LET ROCK!!

Post Thanks / Like

I don't use individual stompboxes as much as I use the built-in effects on my amp. The one I use most often are tremolo and reverb, though like Marnold, I'd not go so far as to say I couldn't live without them. As long as I have my ES-135, I know I can get some pretty killer tone with or without effects.
    "I happen to have perfect situational awareness, Lana. Which cannot be taught, by the way. Like a poet's ... mind for ... to make the perfect words." - Sterling Archer

North of the Equator: I am a Southerner, Southern Ontario!
    Post Thanks / Like

I have two. The Radial Tonebone hot British, and the Fulltone Fulldrive 2. The other that I always forget is the DD20 Giga Delay that is always on.
    The Blues is alright!

Guitars: 1968 Gibson SG, 2005 Gibson SG Standard, 2006 Gibson LP Classic Gold top, 2004 Epiphone Elitist LP Custom, 1996 Gibson Les Paul Standard. 2001 Epiphone Sheraton II, 2007 Epiphone G400.
    Fender Strats: 1996 Fender 68 Reissue CIJ, 2008 Squier CV 50s, 2009 Squier CV 50s Tele Butterescotch Blonde

Amps: Blues Junior Special edition Jensen in Brown Tolex with Wheat front, 65 Deluxe Reverb reissue,1970 Sonax reverb by Traynor, Avatar Custom 2/12 Cabinet with Eminence Legend V1216 speakers,
    2008 DSL100 Marshall Amp , Fender Super Champ XD,Fender Vibro Champ XD

Effects and Pedals: Fulltone Fulldrive II, Fulltone OCD, Fulltone Mini Deja Vibe, Fulltone Fat Boost, Dunlop Crybaby Wah, Boss DS1, Boss DD20 Giga Delay, Boss TU2 tuner, Boss BD2, Ibanez TS9 Tube screamer, Zoom 505. Radial tonebone hot british.

Post Thanks / Like

At home - Boss RC-2 Loopstation (although the more I use it, the more I want a more sophisticated looper like a boomerang or maybe an rc50)

Jamming - well luckily my amp goes from clean to 5150, so right now the only "must bring" is probably my delay because I need it for the start of "Police Truck". and with different settings it's good to fatten up solo's.

If I'm going to pack dirt pedals, the bare minimum is probably one of my Ge fuzz's and my much modded BMP clone.

That said, the last jam I went to I ended up taking like 8 pedals anyway because I likes to show off my creations

W. Branch of Susquehanna River, Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Pedals

Minimum pedals.

I like to have a overdrive pedal like my Bad Monkey hooked up to a reverb pedal like my Hardwire RV-7 reverb pedal.

I will often turn off the overdrive and just use a little reverb to fill in the sound of the amp.
    Duffy Bolduc
    South Williamsport, Pa.

"Now all the things that use to mean so much to me has got me old before my time." G. Allman, "Old Before My Time", Hittin' the Note.

Major changes to guitars and amps, to be updated soon.

Fiance - Supportive of musical art

Post Thanks / Like

My Adrenalinn III. I'm having too much fun with it that I don't know what I'd do without it, I guess get another one.
    _____

GUITARS - Carvin DC127M - Carvin Bolt kit
    AMPS - Bogner Alchemist 112 - Blackheart Handsome Devil half stack
    FXs - Roger Linn Adrenalinn III - Boss GT-10
    _____

Post Thanks / Like

My vintage ts-808. Cannnot live without it.

Second, this week, is my ph-2. I love this pedal, been using it an awful lot lately.

Post Thanks / Like

I have two must-have pedals that I use quite often

- The TC Electronics Nova Delay
    Perfect for getting really fat tape-sounding echo

- The Fulltone OCD. This pedal sounds so good that it comes very close to the sound and feel of my Egnater Rebel 30's lead channel. I can almost use only the clean channel of my amp with the OCD pedal to mimic the drive channel, it's that good.

--Jim
    Electrics: Hamer Newport, Fender Clapton Strat, Ibanez AF86, Line6 Variax 700
    Acoustic Guitars: Taylor 514CE, Martin J40-M
    Dobro: Regal "Black Lightning Dobro"
    Mandolin: Morgan Monroe Mandolin
    Amps: Egnater Rebel 30, Vox AD120VTX, Roland Cube 60
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page...?bandid=301718

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ch0jin
    At home - Boss RC-2 Loopstation (although the more I use it, the more I want a more sophisticated looper like a boomerang or maybe an rc50)

Jamming - well luckily my amp goes from clean to 5150, so right now the only "must bring" is probably my delay because I need it for the start of "Police Truck". and with different settings it's good to fatten up solo's.

If I'm going to pack dirt pedals, the bare minimum is probably one of my Ge fuzz's and my much modded BMP clone.

That said, the last jam I went to I ended up taking like 8 pedals anyway because I likes to show off my creations
    Couldn't agree more - I've used both RC-2 and now have the RC-50. EVERY SINGLE GUITAR PLAYER SHOULD HAVE A LOOPER.....I wish I'd gotten one ALOT earlier.

As far as Fx pedals go I'd have a hard time choosing between Reverb and Delay. By using a super fast delay with fast decay you can kind of get a reverby kind of sound from it...almost like you have 2 guitars playing so a much 'fuller' sound.....plus then you have the rest of the delay functions.

Mind you, with a loop station you can just overdub overdub overdub overdub overdub overdub overdub overdub overdub overdub overdub overdub and get the full band happening by yourself. This is harder on the RC-2 due to memory size and pedal functionality but my god the RC-50 is SO powerful I can't really see me ever not using a loop station of some kind....

So if I was stranded and could only take one pedal I'd take is the RC-50!!! hahahahaha.......