Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Questions about setting up a guitar at home -- what's required? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Questions about setting up a guitar at home -- what's required?

Post Thanks / Like

My two favorite tools for string action set up. Both from Stew-mac:

String height:

$18.95

Radius gauge:

$24.95 for a set of eight.

I also have a good set of Starrett feeler gauges that I'll use for some string set-ups and for various other things as well.
    Ah, nothing relieves the discomfort of GAS pains like the sound of the UPS truck rumbling down your street. It's like the musician's Beano.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Me want doze 2 !!!
    Dee

"When life's a biatch, be a horny dog"

Amps: Marshall JVM 410H w/ Plexi Cap mod, Choke Mod & Negative Feedback Removal mod, 4x12", Behringer GMX110, Amplitube 3/StealthPedal

Half a dozen custom built/bastardized guitars all with EMG's, mostly 85's, Ibanez Artwood acoustic & Yamaha SGR bass, Epiphone Prophecy SG, Vox Wah, Pitchblack tuner plus assorted pedals, rack gear etc. for home studio use.

W. Branch of Susquehanna River, Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Setup

I like that String Action Guage, Blooz. I can see where that would be very informative when applied to a lot of things.

Also: measuring instuments, like rules, tapes, other devices, have a range of accuracy that may be unknown to the purchaser. Like anything there are cheap and expensive ones, poorly made and well made ones.

A way to check rulers or tape measures for accuracy is to grab any two of the same models and compare them side by side to each other: do the gradiations match up? Are the spacings equally spread out across the tape or ruler?

Another typical corner to cut by mfg's of cheap rulers and tapes is that they do not measure accurately from the "end" of the rule or tape. The measuring starts at the first gradation, and this often is not at the exact end of the rule or tape. You will find this inaccuracy in many rules and tapes.

Usually drafting rules, precision metal machine ruler used in mfg shops, and more expensive tapes, have accurate flush measuring accuracy. This is something to definitely check for if you are trying to get accurate measurements more accurate than an eigth of an inch overall linerar accuracy or a sixteenth. A lot of cheap rules and tapes will have a sixteenth of an inch of inaccuracy just at the end.

Also check longer rules against the more expensive ones for overall accuracy - do the "inch" markers line up exactly? Is the overall "foot" or other general measure, line up exactly. Check longer measuring devices like tape measures as well. Check five, ten, fifteen, twenty feet and see if they match up. Compare the inches in any given foot to see if the inches line up. Look closely at the sixteenths and see if they line up between each inch and compare the cheap and expensive tape.

Don't be surprised if the more expensive, professional type measuring tool has greater overall accuracy, as well as close accuracy within each foot and inch, as you look along the scale.

Inaccuracy of the measuring tool can cause many measuring related problems when assembling things you are building. Lots of times the innacuracies magnify each other in the designs. A little off at the beginning might end up being way off by the time you get to the end of your project.

You should always individually measure each piece as well. Avoid using the first cut piece as a template for the next and then the second one for the template for the third, etc. By the time you get done doing this a while your overall length of the final piece may differ by a significant amount from the first piece. If you need to use a template, always use the first cut piece as your template for all of the subsequent pieces.

Beware of inaccurate measuring devices, especially of end point accuracy when butting the ruler/tape up against something or measuring from the end of something. Make sure it has accurate end point accuracy or start measuring from the one inch gradation and compensate in your calculation after measuring with the device.

Hope this helps you measure more accurately.

That String Action Guage looks like it is a precision measuring device with good end point accuracy. I want one too.
    Duffy Bolduc
    South Williamsport, Pa.

"Now all the things that use to mean so much to me has got me old before my time." G. Allman, "Old Before My Time", Hittin' the Note.

Major changes to guitars and amps, to be updated soon.

Fiance - Supportive of musical art

Post Thanks / Like

ok... so now you have a ruler and strait-edge...
    It still helps to have a complete understanding of the instrument ,why it might need work.and how to diagnose problems

just like a doctor has considerable knowledge of the human body ,,even if he is just treating a common cold.

there are so many factors as to what might be wrong with a guitar's setup .

I posted a link of videos to complete guitar setup in precise thorough detail,..worth watching if you really want to understand set up and what tools are necessary to the degree you want to go with it...not a couple 10 minute videos ... more like hours worth of instruction

very valuable knowledge to be free of charge ,from someone who makes a living setting up guitars, more than a book or posting here could ever show firsthand and explain.
    guitars-esp m1,esp vintage plus strat,85 gibson LP std,Hamer std,hagstrom xl-5,takamine 330r
    amps-egnater tweaker,epi vj w/brat mod
    efx-byoc/dvm comp, j cantrell wah,ocd,catalinbread dls,wampler plextortion,ibanez chorus,tech21 boost dla

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Andy
    ok... so now you have a ruler and strait-edge...
    It still helps to have a complete understanding of the instrument ,why it might need work.and how to diagnose problems

just like a doctor has considerable knowledge of the human body ,,even if he is just treating a common cold.

there are so many factors as to what might be wrong with a guitar's setup .

I posted a link of videos to complete guitar setup in precise thorough detail,..worth watching if you really want to understand set up and what tools are necessary to the degree you want to go with it...not a couple 10 minute videos ... more like hours worth of instruction

very valuable knowledge to be free of charge ,from someone who makes a living setting up guitars, more than a book or posting here could ever show firsthand and explain.
    All true, and I appreciate the link. As you said though, it will take time to work my way through it.

I suppose the ruler/straightedge thing was just to get all of that info up front. I get annoyed when I'm working on a project, it's late at night, and I find out I can't go any further without some critical part, so I just have to leave everything in pieces until I have some spare time to run out while a store's open. That sort of thing.

But yes...I completely agree with everything you said. My lack of a complete understanding is one of the things that has made me gunshy when it comes to futzing with my guits.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    Does anyone read the original post?
    Guitars: Gibson LP Studio, MIA Fender Precision, Carvin C350
    Amps: Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 + Avatar B212 / Genzler 12-3, Acoustic B20
    Pedals: Pod HD500X, Diamond Compressor, Tech 21 VT Bass, Sonic Research Turbo Tuner

W. Branch of Susquehanna River, Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Setup

Andy, I looked at the link but can't figure out which ones have to do with doing a set up. Seems like he is doing a refret on a strat and another one on a Les Paul and a few other things.

Which videos focus in on doing a set up in particular? I'm not doing a Warmoth guitar build or anything like that. I just don't feel comfortable doing a set up.

Is there any way to simplify working our way thru those videos? Any knowledge as to which specific videos focus on set ups?

Deeaa, I really like your method of plucking and listening until it just rings, and checking with some bends. Seems very practical.

I don't think that most of the guys that have set up my guitars really know what they are doing or have a "knowledge" of all the things going into it. I think they just look at a few things and apply their slice of knowledge.
    Duffy Bolduc
    South Williamsport, Pa.

"Now all the things that use to mean so much to me has got me old before my time." G. Allman, "Old Before My Time", Hittin' the Note.

Major changes to guitars and amps, to be updated soon.

Fiance - Supportive of musical art

Post Thanks / Like

I don't think that most of the guys that have set up my guitars really know what they are doing or have a "knowledge" of all the things going into it. I think they just look at a few things and apply their slice of knowledge.[/QUOTE]

i found the same untill i started doing my own way back when. 99% of the time i wished i hadnt payed for the setup as it wasn't to my taste. i generaly tend now when i do set ups is ask they guy (or occasional lassie) what they want and try to get as close to that as possible.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12