Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Sweet Treat in da house....
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sweet Treat in da house....

Post Thanks / Like

Default Sweet Treat in da house....

A Gibson Custom Shop '59 Reissue Les Paul, more tersely referred to as an "R9". Not sure if it's a "Historic" or not. In any case, a truly gorgeous thing. Sounds as good as it looks. No, it's not mine. Belongs to a friend of a friend from work. Not sure how it happened, but somebody messed with the pot soldering and did a sloppy job. Everything works fine, but it just looks messy and the guy wants it cleaned up. I volunteered. Tough duty, huh? I'm sure it's going to need extensive testing when I finish. Several days worth, probably! Can't be too careful about these things....

A few photos (forgive all the smudges & fingerprints--I won't clean it up until after I do the work):

As I understand it, in the serial number "9 4231", the "9" denotes the R9 model, the "4" would be year of manufacture, and the "231" would be the sequential unit number. But I have no idea what the year would be from this. 2004? 1994? Earlier?? Any of you Gibson mavens know how to tell?
    DVM's Ever-Expanding Gear List:

Guitars - W-A-A-A-Y-Y too many to list. Check 'em all out HERE

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

I don't know what the rest of those numbers mean, but that is one beautiful guitar. By the way, I always wondered what the "R_" meant when people referred to LPs. Now I know.

That one might be a little hard to give back, eh?
    -Sean
    Guitars: Lots.
    Amphs: More than last year.
    Pedals: Many, although I go straight from guitar to amp more often lately.

Post Thanks / Like

Does that have the big fat neck? I played one in Boise and it had a huge fat neck on it. The action was great but it was probably the fattest neck I'd ever played.

Great looking guitar BTW.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FrankenFretter
    I don't know what the rest of those numbers mean, but that is one beautiful guitar. By the way, I always wondered what the "R_" meant when people referred to LPs. Now I know.
    Uh...I still don't know. The serial number? The '59? I'm a bit dense, apparently.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    Does anyone read the original post?
    Guitars: Gibson LP Studio, MIA Fender Precision, Carvin C350
    Amps: Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 + Avatar B212 / Genzler 12-3, Acoustic B20
    Pedals: Pod HD500X, Diamond Compressor, Tech 21 VT Bass, Sonic Research Turbo Tuner

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eric
    Uh...I still don't know. The serial number? The '59? I'm a bit dense, apparently.
    Yep, R8,R9,R0...'58,'59,'60...reissue, with the '58 having the big chunky neck and the'60 having the slim taper.

'Vood, if you have a chance, would you do a side by side blind test between that axe and your Agile LP, and give us your honest opinion?
    Just curious how they'd each sound to your ears. Thanks in advance.
    Guitars
    Wilburn Versatare, '52 FrankenTele(Fender licensed parts), Fender USA Roadhouse Strat, Fender USA Standard B-bender Telecaster, Agile AL 3000 w/ WCR pickups, Ibanez MIJ V300 Acoustic, Squier Precision Bass,
    Amps
    Ceriatone Overtone Special, Musicman 212 Sixty-Five, Fender Blues Jr., Peavey Classic 30, Fender Super Reverb, Traynor YCV-40 WR Anniversary w/ matching 1x12 ext. cab, Epiphone SoCal 50w head w/ matching 4x12 cab (Lady Luck speakers), Avatar 2x12 semi-open back cab w/ Celestion speakers
    Pedals
    Digitech Bad Monkey, Digitech Jamman, DVM's ZYS, Goodrich volume pedal

Post Thanks / Like

I'd put lots of smudges on that guitar.
    Guitars: Charvel/Jackson CSM-1G, DeArmond M-75, DeArmond Starfire Special, DeArmond S-73, Epiphone Collegiate UK, Squier 51, Michael Kelly Patriot Custom, Harmony Sovereign, Taylor 310, Takamine 12 string, SX thinline, Fender MIM Strat, Ibanez JTK30,
    Amps: Earth Sound Research G-2000 Super Guitar head into Avatar G212H cab, Fender Sidekick 20 Chorus, Peavey Classic 20, Peavey Classic 30, Peavey Express 112, Fender Super Champ XD, Vibro Champ XD
    Effects: Digitech EX-7, Digitech RP-250

Post Thanks / Like

According to the gurus at the Les Paul forums, it's a '94. Several characteristics distinguish it from an '04.

Spuds: Pretty thick neck, but I've seen a couple thicker. I guess the '59s fall in between the really fat '58s and the slim '60s.

OG: Will do, mildew!

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by duhvoodooman
    As I understand it, in the serial number "9 4231", the "9" denotes the R9 model, the "4" would be year of manufacture, and the "231" would be the sequential unit number. But I have no idea what the year would be from this. 2004? 1994? Earlier?? Any of you Gibson mavens know how to tell?
    Oh....just saw this. Duh.

I need to start paying attention to text after the pretty pictures...
    Does anyone read the original post?
    Guitars: Gibson LP Studio, MIA Fender Precision, Carvin C350
    Amps: Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 + Avatar B212 / Genzler 12-3, Acoustic B20
    Pedals: Pod HD500X, Diamond Compressor, Tech 21 VT Bass, Sonic Research Turbo Tuner

Post Thanks / Like

Ooo la la...thats my dream guitar... .
    Guitars/Bass - MIM Fender Classic 50s Strat, MIM Fender Standard Strat, Squier Classic Vibe 50s Tele, Gibson Les Paul Studio, Epi '56 Gold Top Les Paul, Martin DSR acoustic, Sigma Martin Auditorium electric/acoustic, Squier Jazz Bass.

Amps/Cabinets/Modelers - Model 2558 50 watt Marshall Silver Anniversary Jubilee combo w/ Celestion Vintage 30s, 4x12 Marshall cabinet w/25 watt Greenback Celestions, Fender Blues Junior w/ a couple of Billm mods, Line 6 POD 2.0, Roland Micro Cube

Pedals/Effects - Cry Baby Classic Wah, Boss TU-2, Boss NS-2, Boss RC-2 Loop Station, Ross Compressor, MXR Micro Amp, Danelectro FAB Echo, Danelectro FAB Chorus, Danelectro Chicken Salad, Marshall Guv'nor Plus, Marshall Echohead, Duhvoodooman's Zonkin' Yellow Screamer, Digitech Digiverb, Digitech Bad Monkey, Dunlop Fuzz Face, Homemade Loop Bypass pedal, Duhvoodooman's Sonic Tonic (Maxon SD-9 clone +), Voodoo Labs Superfuzz

North of the Equator: I am a Southerner, Southern Ontario!
    Post Thanks / Like

I opened a thread asking about the serial number on the Les Paul Forum. Everything I have read on the reissues shows that the serials CAN repeat.
    I don't know enough about the reissues to know the differences, but if it is a 94 it is worth a lot of money. The first 200 R9s built were murphy aged at the Custom shop. It being 231 would mean it was a pretty low number.
    The Murphy aged ones look like bengal tiger stripes. The value of this guitar is in the 4000 to 10,000 range according to the guys at the LP forum.
    That one does not have the pronounced thick tiger stripes but still sweet.
    I think Spudman was talking about an R8. They have the bigger thicker necks.
    The later model VOS Reissues are closer to the actual 59 les paul spec wise and are sweet guitars.
    The Blues is alright!

Guitars: 1968 Gibson SG, 2005 Gibson SG Standard, 2006 Gibson LP Classic Gold top, 2004 Epiphone Elitist LP Custom, 1996 Gibson Les Paul Standard. 2001 Epiphone Sheraton II, 2007 Epiphone G400.
    Fender Strats: 1996 Fender 68 Reissue CIJ, 2008 Squier CV 50s, 2009 Squier CV 50s Tele Butterescotch Blonde

Amps: Blues Junior Special edition Jensen in Brown Tolex with Wheat front, 65 Deluxe Reverb reissue,1970 Sonax reverb by Traynor, Avatar Custom 2/12 Cabinet with Eminence Legend V1216 speakers,
    2008 DSL100 Marshall Amp , Fender Super Champ XD,Fender Vibro Champ XD

Effects and Pedals: Fulltone Fulldrive II, Fulltone OCD, Fulltone Mini Deja Vibe, Fulltone Fat Boost, Dunlop Crybaby Wah, Boss DS1, Boss DD20 Giga Delay, Boss TU2 tuner, Boss BD2, Ibanez TS9 Tube screamer, Zoom 505. Radial tonebone hot british.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Voodoo. I guess I've never understood where the line was as far as production of neck sizes. So can I assume that most pre 1960s models would have the larger diameter neck, and necks from 1960 onward would be the slimmer variety?

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

....So can I assume that most pre 1960s models would have the larger diameter neck, and necks from 1960 onward would be the slimmer variety?
    From what I've read and a couple of Tom "Mr. Burst" Wittrock videos I've recently viewed, the necks started thick in the first '58 'bursts and ended up quite thin by the late 1960 guitars. However, it's not a "model year" thing, as the changes took place during the middle of model years. Also, the changes weren't "clean"--there are apparently many examples of newer guitars (by S/N) having the older style neck and visa-versa. But for the '58 - '60 historic reissues (i.e. R8's, R9's and R0's), that's apparently the rule of thumb--thick necks on the R8's, thin on the R0's and the R9 in between. This R9 is certainly very comfortable to play, and the action is very, very fast. It's thicker than either my Epi Elitist LP Std or my Agile AL-3000, very comparable to the neck on my Epi Dot.

P.S. Good run down on the "bursts" HERE.
    Last edited by duhvoodooman; October 12th, 2010 at 11:42 AM.

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

Have fun with that DVM...I know I would!

If it sounds as good as I suspect it will, it'll be hard to give it back. How many excuses can you think of to keep it longer?

Say, now there's an idea. Let's have a contest to see how many excuses we can come up with for DVM so he can keep the guitar longer!

Here's the first one:

1) These re-issue LP's use a special solder. I had to order some, should be here in two weeks.
    Ah, nothing relieves the discomfort of GAS pains like the sound of the UPS truck rumbling down your street. It's like the musician's Beano.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bloozcat
    Have fun with that DVM...I know I would!

If it sounds as good as I suspect it will, it'll be hard to give it back. How many excuses can you think of to keep it longer?

Say, now there's an idea. Let's have a contest to see how many excuses we can come up with for DVM so he can keep the guitar longer!

Here's the first one:

1) These re-issue LP's use a special solder. I had to order some, should be here in two weeks
    2) Not only that, but this special solder requires a "curing cycle" to set up properly. Adds another 2 weeks.

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

2) Not only that, but this special solder requires a "curing cycle" to set up properly. Adds another 2 weeks.

Pretty AXE 2 weeks LOL thats funny!!
    Maxi...................

Bootsy Collins:
    I pledge allegiance to the funk, the whole funk, and nothing but the funk, so help me James, Sly and George, Amen!!

Guitars: 2010 American Special HSS Strat, 2010 CIC Squire CV ThinLine Tele, & 2006 MIM FSR Strat.

Basses: 1979 Peavey T-40, 2007 Ibanez SR 500, 2013 Ibanez SR375F, 2013 CIJ Fender Geddy Lee Jazz Bass, 2014 Sadowsky Will Lee VI, & 2014 Sadowsky Will Lee Metro V

Amps: Mesa Boogie BASS STRATEGY:Eight:88, Aguliar DB 4X12, Augilar DB 751, Genz Benz CTR500-210T/Focus 1X15 CAB, Fender Hot Rod Deville 410, VHT Deliverance 60/VHT 2X12 fat Bottom Cab, & VOX DA20

Effects: Boss ME-25, MXR Custom Baddass 78, MXR Custom Baddass modified O.D., Vox Joe Satriani Satchurator, MXR Phase 90, MXR Bass Chorus Deluxe/Octave Deluxe/Bass Compressor/Envelope Filter/, Way Huge Pork Loin

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ZMAN
    ...The first 200 R9s built were murphy aged at the Custom shop. It being 231 would mean it was a pretty low number.
    The Murphy aged ones look like bengal tiger stripes. The value of this guitar is in the 4000 to 10,000 range according to the guys at the LP forum.
    That one does not have the pronounced thick tiger stripes but still sweet.
    Funny you should mention this, Zman, because the owner had changed the tailpiece and tune-o-matic bridge piece, and the originals were wrapped up inside the case. They definitely have the "Murphy-aged" very dull look to them. My friend also thinks he remembers that the owner changed the original pickups, which would explain why the soldering on the pots looks so poorly done. It sure as heck isn't a factory job, and why else would you be soldering on the pots but to change p'ups? Maybe the guy just doesn't like the aged look.

While I'm cleaning up the pots/wiring, I'll loosen the strings and remove the tailpiece, so that I can pop out the pickups and have a look at them....and under them.

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

North of the Equator: I am a Southerner, Southern Ontario!
    Post Thanks / Like

Funny you should mention this, Zman, because the owner had changed the tailpiece and tune-o-matic bridge piece, and the originals were wrapped up inside the case. They definitely have the "Murphy-aged" very dull look to them. My friend also thinks he remembers that the owner changed the original pickups, which would explain why the soldering on the pots looks so poorly done. It sure as heck isn't a factory job, and why else would you be soldering on the pots but to change p'ups? Maybe the guy just doesn't like the aged look.

While I'm cleaning up the pots/wiring, I'll loosen the strings and remove the tailpiece, so that I can pop out the pickups and have a look at them....and under them.
    It just shows you that a lot can happen in 16 years to a guitar. I was one of those guys who liked my guitars shiny. I never liked the aged hardware look. Since I purchased my gold top and had the historic pickups installed I am liking the look more and more. Those older pieces are worth a lot of money I bet. I have a 96 Standard and I just love that guitar. It is heavy as hell but it has the sustain and sweet mellow tone. I really like the 490 498 combo on that guitar, a plain top vintge burst. I am not one for a lot of flame maple. It is nice to be able to play and work on something like that because it gives a feel for what all the hype is about.
    The Blues is alright!

Guitars: 1968 Gibson SG, 2005 Gibson SG Standard, 2006 Gibson LP Classic Gold top, 2004 Epiphone Elitist LP Custom, 1996 Gibson Les Paul Standard. 2001 Epiphone Sheraton II, 2007 Epiphone G400.
    Fender Strats: 1996 Fender 68 Reissue CIJ, 2008 Squier CV 50s, 2009 Squier CV 50s Tele Butterescotch Blonde

Amps: Blues Junior Special edition Jensen in Brown Tolex with Wheat front, 65 Deluxe Reverb reissue,1970 Sonax reverb by Traynor, Avatar Custom 2/12 Cabinet with Eminence Legend V1216 speakers,
    2008 DSL100 Marshall Amp , Fender Super Champ XD,Fender Vibro Champ XD

Effects and Pedals: Fulltone Fulldrive II, Fulltone OCD, Fulltone Mini Deja Vibe, Fulltone Fat Boost, Dunlop Crybaby Wah, Boss DS1, Boss DD20 Giga Delay, Boss TU2 tuner, Boss BD2, Ibanez TS9 Tube screamer, Zoom 505. Radial tonebone hot british.

Post Thanks / Like

Well, and you want the solder that gives the best tone, don't you?
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like

This is an R8 VOS plain top and it's chunky alright.
    I think you're going to have a good time with that puppy DVM.
    It's also possible that the previous owner(s) changed the pots and caps. I was kind of surprised to discover my 'historic' re-issue had modern wiring and not 50's style. I think lots of players changed to RS kits and the like and switched to the 50's style. I did with mine and it uncovers a lot of subtle differences in tone and gain.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast