Thread: Boss FDR-1

Post Thanks / Like

Default Boss FDR-1

Anyone familiar with this pedal? Seems to me it's a variation on, or simply a limited multi-effects pedal that targets one particular amp.

Reason for it's appeal is that what I really want is limited effects. A bit of reverb, a bit of tremolo (vibrato in 65 fender speak) and the gain and tone may come in handy.

Seems like a good way to add limited tones in limited space. Award winning. EXPENSIVE. Boss, which are solid little units.

Anyone have any experience with it?

Most owner feedback I can find trashes the 'verb component on it.
    "It's never too late to be what you might have been" - Eliot

Guilars: '02 Heritage H-535 ASB; '04 Larrivée LV-03 w/Fishman Blend; '95 Washburn/Bourgeios D-55SW Cherokee
    Amphs: Boogie DC-2; DVM/BYOC Tweed Champlifier; Marshall AS50D
    Currently on Board: Ditto Looper; Boss TU-2; EB VP Jr; crybaby; DVM Spring Fever; DVM Mini Klone, Brena Effects Cali-Tremor tremolo; Strymon El Capistan

Post Thanks / Like

IMO all Boss distortion/OD pedals sound real grainy and ultimately... terrible. The reverb on the fdr1 is decent but at that price, you can find much superior products. I do agree with you on wanting a pedal with OD/reverb/tremolo all in one pedal, but I just found the fdr1 to be mediocre/bad all around.

Post Thanks / Like

thanks for the feedback, SemiHollow.

I wouldn't pay retail, for sure. Dude in my neighborhood is selling one on craigslist, $100, which made me curious. I still don't think I'll do it though. Taking the time to create a couple presets on my DP50 goes part of the way there for very little money. Save the benjamin for an actual deluxe!
    "It's never too late to be what you might have been" - Eliot

Guilars: '02 Heritage H-535 ASB; '04 Larrivée LV-03 w/Fishman Blend; '95 Washburn/Bourgeios D-55SW Cherokee
    Amphs: Boogie DC-2; DVM/BYOC Tweed Champlifier; Marshall AS50D
    Currently on Board: Ditto Looper; Boss TU-2; EB VP Jr; crybaby; DVM Spring Fever; DVM Mini Klone, Brena Effects Cali-Tremor tremolo; Strymon El Capistan

Post Thanks / Like

Saving the money towards an actual deluxe is a good idea. IMO I've yet to hear an OD pedal that matched the tone of a good amp. Some do apparently close and if you were to take that route, I might look to "boutique" pedals