Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
Guv'nor Dead. Looking at options

Thread: Guv'nor Dead. Looking at options

Post Thanks / Like

Default Guv'nor Dead. Looking at options

I am pretty sure my original Guv'nor has bought it. I have the new version Guv but its not the same. I have the usual SD-1/Tubescreamer/Fulldrive II and they are good at what they are but are pretty different from the Guv'nor.

having had what I needed for the last 20 years I really haven't looked into OD pedals. Short of surfing through hundreds of over priced boutique pedals what are the good production OD pedals to look at?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I'm not a good judge of these things yet. But I have a Boss DS-1, A Boss OD-2 (I think-yellow with 4 knobs), A digitech Bad Monkey, an Allum Modded Boss BD-2, and a Marshall Jackhammer.

I keep ending up with the Jackhammer engaged whenever I practice. It has Distortion and OD choices, contour, frequency, gain, and level. A lot of stuff to tweak. I always try the others too, and land on the BD2 now and again, but more often than not, I'm stomping on the Jackhammer.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm pretty happy with the budget priced Danelectro Cool Cat Drive. You can't go too wrong with a pedal in this price range.
    Gearlist:
    Electric: Ibanez 'AS103', Fender Dlx Nash Pwr Tele, Fender Squier '62 JV Strat, Squier '51, Squier 60's Classic Vibe Strat, Epi Elite LP Studio, Hagstrom Swede Acoustic: Larrivee LV-03RE, A&L AMI, Yamaha FG340-T Bass: Yamaha BB 450 Amps: Roland JC-120, JC-50, Peavey Classic 30, Fender Super Champ XD Pedals: Marshall Guv'nor Plus, Danelectro Cool Cat Drive, Transparent Overdrive, Digitech Digiverb, Bad Monkey, Ibanez TS-9, Boss AC-2, CE-5, CS-2, DD-3, DF-2, DS-1, FV-100, GE-7, OC-2, PSM-5, SD-1, TU-2, DVM~BYOC 'Lush Puppy' Chorus

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Algonquin
    I'm pretty happy with the budget priced Danelectro Cool Cat Drive. You can't go too wrong with a pedal in this price range.
    I have heard rumors that the Dano Daddy O is a very similar circuit to the Guv'nor. Jut not sure which version of the Guv'nor

Post Thanks / Like

Try a GV-2 Guv'nor or a pre-2003 ProCo Rat.
    Electric: Fat strat > Korg PB > TS7 > DS1 > DD-20 > Cube 60 (Fender model)

Acoustic: Guitar > microphone > audience

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Algonquin
    Is that V1, the Tim clone that was banned? Or was that the transparent overdrive?
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    Does anyone read the original post?
    Guitars: Gibson LP Studio, MIA Fender Precision, Carvin C350
    Amps: Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 + Avatar B212 / Genzler 12-3, Acoustic B20
    Pedals: Pod HD500X, Diamond Compressor, Tech 21 VT Bass, Sonic Research Turbo Tuner

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AudioWonderland
    I am pretty sure my original Guv'nor has bought it. I have the new version Guv but its not the same.
    Talk to duhvoodooman here on The Fret.. maybe he can fix it for you.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eric
    Is that V1, the Tim clone that was banned? Or was that the transparent overdrive?
    I believe the Transparent OD was rumoured to be a Timmy clone, which may be why they released the V.2
    When I picked one up, I opted for the V.1
    Gearlist:
    Electric: Ibanez 'AS103', Fender Dlx Nash Pwr Tele, Fender Squier '62 JV Strat, Squier '51, Squier 60's Classic Vibe Strat, Epi Elite LP Studio, Hagstrom Swede Acoustic: Larrivee LV-03RE, A&L AMI, Yamaha FG340-T Bass: Yamaha BB 450 Amps: Roland JC-120, JC-50, Peavey Classic 30, Fender Super Champ XD Pedals: Marshall Guv'nor Plus, Danelectro Cool Cat Drive, Transparent Overdrive, Digitech Digiverb, Bad Monkey, Ibanez TS-9, Boss AC-2, CE-5, CS-2, DD-3, DF-2, DS-1, FV-100, GE-7, OC-2, PSM-5, SD-1, TU-2, DVM~BYOC 'Lush Puppy' Chorus

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eric
    That was the original version of the Transparent Overdrive that was a Timmy circuit copy.
    DVM's Ever-Expanding Gear List:

Guitars - W-A-A-A-Y-Y too many to list. Check 'em all out HERE

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bcdon
    Talk to duhvoodooman here on The Fret.. maybe he can fix it for you.
    Would be happy to take a look at it. These things can usually be fixed pretty easily/cheaply. PM me if interested.....
    DVM's Ever-Expanding Gear List:

Guitars - W-A-A-A-Y-Y too many to list. Check 'em all out HERE

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

If the new Guvnor is too dark/tubescreamey for you, I can also recommend the Jackhammer. OD mode is close to the new Guvnor but is much clearer and less, well, 'tubescreamy', more like a JCM800 amp drive sound with great string separation and classic marshall bite. And as C64 said, it's got great EQ too. I don't use the distortion side myself, but the OD engaged it has been my go-to pedal for many years now. Plus, they're cheap!
    Dee

"When life's a biatch, be a horny dog"

Amps: Marshall JVM 410H w/ Plexi Cap mod, Choke Mod & Negative Feedback Removal mod, 4x12", Behringer GMX110, Amplitube 3/StealthPedal

Half a dozen custom built/bastardized guitars all with EMG's, mostly 85's, Ibanez Artwood acoustic & Yamaha SGR bass, Epiphone Prophecy SG, Vox Wah, Pitchblack tuner plus assorted pedals, rack gear etc. for home studio use.

Post Thanks / Like

Check out BlackstarĀ“s HT line of pedals.. I have the HT Drive and I am more than satisified with it.
    I can't say that I've given up on a flanger cause I've never liked the effect either. I also can't say the same about Tremolo. I hate them both equally. - Tone2TheBone 2009

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by deeaa
    If the new Guvnor is too dark/tubescreamey for you, I can also recommend the Jackhammer. OD mode is close to the new Guvnor but is much clearer and less, well, 'tubescreamy', more like a JCM800 amp drive sound with great string separation and classic marshall bite. And as C64 said, it's got great EQ too. I don't use the distortion side myself, but the OD engaged it has been my go-to pedal for many years now. Plus, they're cheap!
    Well, I would not say the GV2 is too tube screamer like. Its just a little more jagged in the top end than the original. Can't put my finger on exactly what the cause is. The result is I do prefer it for metal sounds but I virtually never need that sound.

Post Thanks / Like

Give the new ProCo SOLO a test drive. I LUB mine.....

LIVE AND LET ROCK!!