• LL Cool J
    • Darlene Love
    • Laura Nyro
    • Donna Summer
    • Joe Tex
    • Tom Waits
    • Chuck Willis

Discuss, if you dare!
    Guitar: Gibson SG Standard Natural Burst, Squier CV 50's Tele, Hell Guitars No. 2, Squier CV 50's Strat, Reverend Club King 290, Taylor 522e 12-Fret mahogany,
    Squier Vintage Modified Jaguar Bass Short Scale
    Amp: Fender Super Champ X2 Head, Egnater Tweaker 15, Fender Mustang I, Acoustic B20 1x12 bass amp
    Pedal: Budda Budwah wah, Wampler Ego Compressor, Electro-Harmonix Soul Food, Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive, Wampler Velvet Fuzz, Seven Sisters Eve Tremolo, TC Electronics Gravy Tri Chorus & Vibrato, Catalinbread Echorec, TC Electronic Alter Ego 2 Delay, Hardwire Supernatural Ambient Verb, MXR Carbon Copy, Catalinbread RAH, Big Muff Pi with Tone Wicker, BYOC Mouse 2.0 Distortion, BYOC Boost/OD-2

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Alice Cooper -Sure, no problem, even though I'm not a huge fan.
    Beastie Boys -I get them, but not the nomination.
    Bon Jovi -I can see them getting in, but I'm no fan of their music.
    Chic -You're kiddin' me.
    Neil Diamond -A legend, but Rock and Roll?
    Donovan -Likely, and overdue to be inducted, but I'm no fan.
    Dr. John -I guess so, but I'm not a fan of his voice.
    J. Geils Band -I never got their later songs, and their early blues work wasn't all that.
    LL Cool J -You're kiddin' me, Part 2.
    Darlene Love -Her distant past wasn't exactly a worthy body of work.
    Laura Nyro -Decent song writer, but not Hall of Fame material to me.
    Donna Summer -You're kiddin' me, Part 3.
    Joe Tex -The soul singer that was the first to rap, which should automatically eliminate him.
    Tom Waits -I can see him getting in, but I've never been a fan of gravel.
    Chuck Willis -A decent song writer, but not well known outside of the bid-ness.
    Guitar: Gibson SG Standard Natural Burst, Squier CV 50's Tele, Hell Guitars No. 2, Squier CV 50's Strat, Reverend Club King 290, Taylor 522e 12-Fret mahogany,
    Amp: Fender Super Champ X2 Head, Egnater Tweaker 15, Fender Mustang I, Acoustic B20 1x12 bass amp
    Pedal: Budda Budwah wah, Wampler Ego Compressor, Electro-Harmonix Soul Food, Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive, Wampler Velvet Fuzz, Seven Sisters Eve Tremolo, TC Electronics Gravy Tri Chorus & Vibrato, Catalinbread Echorec, TC Electronic Alter Ego 2 Delay, Hardwire Supernatural Ambient Verb, MXR Carbon Copy, Catalinbread RAH, Big Muff Pi with Tone Wicker, BYOC Mouse 2.0 Distortion, BYOC Boost/OD-2

Post Thanks / Like

* Alice Cooper - Famous but not a lot of hits
    * Beastie Boys - Not even in the top 10 rap groups of their era but had a huge 1st albums and still make hits somehow.
    * Bon Jovi - YES to Maybe very popular wanted dead or alive how many times did I hear that on the radio and sig along too it.
    * Chic - YES-Produced so many number 1's for others of all genres plus their own music
    * Neil Diamond - NEVER -Famous HE IS A AHOLE his music sucks
    * Donovan- do not know enough about him to have an idea
    * Dr. John - YES one of Nawlins best
    * J. Geils Band - not much of a collection IMHO
    * LL Cool J - MAYBE 25 + years of hits more than damn everybody on this list and no matter what the rockers think the man does have talent puts on a great show
    * Darlene Love - never heard of her
    * Laura Nyro - never heard of her
    * Donna Summer - Maybe DISCO QUEEN who can really sing.
    * Joe Tex - NOT SURE- 60's early 70's blues and R&B dude fun songs
    * Tom Waits - NOT SURE long history of good work
    * Chuck Willis - Never heard of him
    Maxi...................

Bootsy Collins:
    I pledge allegiance to the funk, the whole funk, and nothing but the funk, so help me James, Sly and George, Amen!!

Guitars: 2010 American Special HSS Strat, 2010 CIC Squire CV ThinLine Tele, & 2006 MIM FSR Strat.

Basses: 1979 Peavey T-40, 2007 Ibanez SR 500, 2013 Ibanez SR375F, 2013 CIJ Fender Geddy Lee Jazz Bass, 2014 Sadowsky Will Lee VI, & 2014 Sadowsky Will Lee Metro V

Amps: Mesa Boogie BASS STRATEGY:Eight:88, Aguliar DB 4X12, Augilar DB 751, Genz Benz CTR500-210T/Focus 1X15 CAB, Fender Hot Rod Deville 410, VHT Deliverance 60/VHT 2X12 fat Bottom Cab, & VOX DA20

Effects: Boss ME-25, MXR Custom Baddass 78, MXR Custom Baddass modified O.D., Vox Joe Satriani Satchurator, MXR Phase 90, MXR Bass Chorus Deluxe/Octave Deluxe/Bass Compressor/Envelope Filter/, Way Huge Pork Loin

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tig
    Alice Cooper -Sure, no problem, even though I'm not a huge fan.
    Beastie Boys -I get them, but not the nomination.
    Bon Jovi -I can see them getting in, but I'm no fan of their music.
    Chic -You're kiddin' me.
    Neil Diamond -A legend, but Rock and Roll?
    Donovan -Likely, and overdue to be inducted, but I'm no fan.
    Dr. John -I guess so, but I'm not a fan of his voice.
    J. Geils Band -I never got their later songs, and their early blues work wasn't all that.
    LL Cool J -You're kiddin' me, Part 2.
    Darlene Love -Her distant past wasn't exactly a worthy body of work.
    Laura Nyro -Decent song writer, but not Hall of Fame material to me.
    Donna Summer -You're kiddin' me, Part 3.
    Joe Tex -The soul singer that was the first to rap, which should automatically eliminate him.
    Tom Waits -I can see him getting in, but I've never been a fan of gravel.
    Chuck Willis -A decent song writer, but not well known outside of the bid-ness.
    TIG you do realize its called R&R HALL FAME BUT ALL GENRES ARE INCLUDED.
    Having said that CHIC guitarist Nile Rodgers and bassist Bernard Edwards are by far the BEST musicians on this by far. An as good as anybody of their era
    75 to 85.
    Maxi...................

Bootsy Collins:
    I pledge allegiance to the funk, the whole funk, and nothing but the funk, so help me James, Sly and George, Amen!!

Guitars: 2010 American Special HSS Strat, 2010 CIC Squire CV ThinLine Tele, & 2006 MIM FSR Strat.

Basses: 1979 Peavey T-40, 2007 Ibanez SR 500, 2013 Ibanez SR375F, 2013 CIJ Fender Geddy Lee Jazz Bass, 2014 Sadowsky Will Lee VI, & 2014 Sadowsky Will Lee Metro V

Amps: Mesa Boogie BASS STRATEGY:Eight:88, Aguliar DB 4X12, Augilar DB 751, Genz Benz CTR500-210T/Focus 1X15 CAB, Fender Hot Rod Deville 410, VHT Deliverance 60/VHT 2X12 fat Bottom Cab, & VOX DA20

Effects: Boss ME-25, MXR Custom Baddass 78, MXR Custom Baddass modified O.D., Vox Joe Satriani Satchurator, MXR Phase 90, MXR Bass Chorus Deluxe/Octave Deluxe/Bass Compressor/Envelope Filter/, Way Huge Pork Loin

Post Thanks / Like

I liked Beasties early work like Time for Livin, but even their name is based off of the fact that they weren't as good as other acts (Bad Brains). That said, I really only like Tom Waits or the BBs off here.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I don't know. I look at these lists and think if you are around long enough in any sort of mainstream sales (meaning some folks have heard of you, and you might make it into rolling stone at some page and some point, and/or people magazine), you will eventually end up on the list. Not really a relevant "honor" in my mind.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MAXIFUNK
    TIG you do realize its called R&R HALL FAME BUT ALL GENRES ARE INCLUDED.
    Which is the failure of the entire thing.

They should change the name to Pop Music Hall of Fame, or something similar. Then, they should give the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame name back and put it in Philadelphia instead of Cleveland, which was the first mistake that indicated the invalidity of the museum. There had to be some kick-backs to put it in Cleveland over Philly, because there just can't be any other reason!

The R&RHoF started out well enough, but before long, they'd induct most anyone. It reminds me of the Olympics... Once they let Synchronized Swimming in as an Olympic Sport, that opened the flood gates for any activity to be added! Tiddly Winks, anyone?

/rant

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sunvalleylaw
    I don't know. I look at these lists and think if you are around long enough in any sort of mainstream sales (meaning some folks have heard of you, and you might make it into rolling stone at some page and some point, and/or people magazine), you will eventually end up on the list. Not really a relevant "honor" in my mind.
    I think that sums up the r&r hof. Its not how good you are its how popular you where or in some case's still are.

To me when I see that list I think its about time for Alice Cooper, he's been popular for a long time and has a handfull of really good songs, basicaly the entire Greatest Hits album and some stuff later. I think he should be a lock but how popular is he really?

Bon Jovi I think gets in for their past success combined with their work the last few years. Honestly I wonder if they hadnt been making new music though would they be on this list?

Rest of them Im not going to chime in on.....But I do what to say.........

WHERE IS THE LOVE FOR SRV???? I mean heck, Santana is in and I personaly feel SRV is more respected and more popular than Santana. And we all know SRV was hands down one of the greatest guitarist ever.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sunvalleylaw
    Yep, it's the "sold quite a lot of records" hall of fame But Neil Diamond!!
    Electric: Fat strat > Korg PB > TS7 > DS1 > DD-20 > Cube 60 (Fender model)

Acoustic: Guitar > microphone > audience

Post Thanks / Like

RUSH... snubbed yet again A band at the top of their game creatively, record-sales-wise, concert-sales-wise and way overdue for their influence on countless other artists for over 30 years. I guess they just don't play "the game" right. Fk it... we don't need no stinking R&R HOF

/end rant//
    Electrics: Hagstrom Ultra Swede (Gold Eagle Burst) Gretsch 5120 Electromatic (Orange) Custom Nashville Blackout Telecaster (Black, Stat mid/neck p'ups; Lil Puncher (Modern Vintage) bridge p'up; Wilkinson Compensated Bridge w/ 3 brass saddles, Warmoth Vintage Modern Birdseye Maple Neck) Fender MIM Stratocaster (Blue Agave, Rosewood Fretboard, Fender Tex-Mex p'ups; GFS Trem/Block Kit) Highland Spitfire (semi-hollow, flame maple top w/ bubinga inlay)
    Acoustics:Washburn D10CEQSB, Yamaha FG160E
    Bass: Westone Spectrum ST, Warwick Rockbass Corvette Basic Active
    Amps: Vox NT15H/V112NT Night Train, Peavey Bandit 112, Hartke HyDrive 210C Bass Amp, Vox DA5

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by t_ross33
    RUSH... snubbed yet again A band at the top of their game creatively, record-sales-wise, concert-sales-wise and way overdue for their influence on countless other artists for over 30 years. I guess they just don't play "the game" right. Fk it... we don't need no stinking R&R HOF

/end rant//
    I was thinking the same thing. What about Deep Purple while we are at it? (rant silently expressed through athletic activity)

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

In defense of the Beastie Boys, they do a lot more than rap. While much of their work is hip-hop and based in sampling, there are also large portions of it with "real" musical accompaniment provided by the B-Boys themselves. While none of them are virtuosos, they happen to be three pretty capable musicians who can lock in on a funk groove as well as many other bands. They also happen to be quite good lyricists as far as hip-hop goes excelling in well-placed referential humor.

Tom Waits needs no defense. The man is a genius, period. He's far and away one of the most brilliant lyricists in music. His music spans just about every genre of western popular music from blues to country to jazz to funk to punk to gospel and back again. He's worked with some of the most talented musicians on the planet and generated several truly classic albums that stand the test of time a lot better than many other albums of their time periods. There's also a lot more to that voice than gravel. It's easy to write him off as "that gravelly blues singer" but throughout the catalog there's so much more to it. His is really one of the more diverse voices around and without question one of the most authentic.

Of course, I think the whole thing, like awards shows or "best of" lists is a total joke and I'm not sure I'd rather my favorite artists be in or out.

And yeah, Rush being snubbed again is just plain wrong.
    "I happen to have perfect situational awareness, Lana. Which cannot be taught, by the way. Like a poet's ... mind for ... to make the perfect words." - Sterling Archer

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tig
    Which is the failure of the entire thing
    Its another award nothing more nothing less. But Rock & Roll is just POP I.E. popular music based from Blues and Jazz morphed into the modern music of the day.

In the 50's Chuck Berry, Jerry Lee Lewis, Little Richard, etc etc
    In the 60's Fats Domino, Beach Boys, Sly & Family stone, Motown, Beatles etc etc
    in the 70's Zeppelin, Stones, Earth, Wind, & Fire, P-Funk etc etc

All the while so called Rock and Roll artist where stealing old blues dudes music and current R&B/Soul acts music. So to excluded any music because of its Genre then lets excluded Rock because it has no base of its own.
    But then again yeah it does it is Willie Dixon, Chuck Berry, Little Richard, Isley Brothers, etc etc
    Maxi...................

Bootsy Collins:

Post Thanks / Like

I like three of them

Alice Cooper.. Very influential in stage performing and some very good hits. "Love it to death" album alone is worth getting in. Still going!

Neil Young.. <-- Opps Neil Diamond..The Jewish Elvis..and if that's not Rock & Roll.. and still going!

Tow Waits..History of genius...and still going!

The rest...maybe another time.
    Last edited by Justaguyin_nc; October 17th, 2010 at 11:58 PM. Reason: changed young to Diamond..lol mind fart

Jimmie Vaughan Strat , Squire 51
    Epi 56 GoldTop, SX "Vintage" Jazz Bass
    Zager 50, Guild GAD30R (Excellent)
    G-Dec 3 Thirty, Valve Junior & Cab
    Crate PowerBlock, Crate V33H
    JamVox, Studio GX With Mods/Farm 2.0.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Yep, it isn't much different than all those award shows that have popped up just to make money. If it isn't a Grammy, it doesn't really count...

Well, except for all those who never got the recognition they deserved. Little Steven Van Zandt (his weekly Underground Garage radio show is highly recommended, BTW) reminded me of those old guys who were never paid much as musucians or producers, etc., and this kind of recognition is really cool for them.