Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: N.A. D. Super Champ XD

North of the Equator: I am a Southerner, Southern Ontario!
    Post Thanks / Like

I lstened to a pretty good comparison of the stock speaker vs 4 other 10 inch eminmence speakers including the RC and the copperhead on the Gear page, and the stock speaker sounded best to me and 4 or 5 other people who responded. I saw a vid of Don Anderson doing The thrill is gone. I downloaded a backing track and fired up the SCXD. Voice 13, reverb/delay, treble 0 and bass 10. Used my LP standard, 335 and GT, even tried a CV50s Strat. All sounded amazing.
    Of course it might be my aging ears. LOL.
    Every time I fire this thing up it just amazes me. Oh and I tried a little boost from my Fulldrive II by Fulltone and it kicked ***.
    Not sure now what to do about a speaker swap.
    The Blues is alright!

Guitars: 1968 Gibson SG, 2005 Gibson SG Standard, 2006 Gibson LP Classic Gold top, 2004 Epiphone Elitist LP Custom, 1996 Gibson Les Paul Standard. 2001 Epiphone Sheraton II, 2007 Epiphone G400.
    Fender Strats: 1996 Fender 68 Reissue CIJ, 2008 Squier CV 50s, 2009 Squier CV 50s Tele Butterescotch Blonde

Amps: Blues Junior Special edition Jensen in Brown Tolex with Wheat front, 65 Deluxe Reverb reissue,1970 Sonax reverb by Traynor, Avatar Custom 2/12 Cabinet with Eminence Legend V1216 speakers,
    2008 DSL100 Marshall Amp , Fender Super Champ XD,Fender Vibro Champ XD

Effects and Pedals: Fulltone Fulldrive II, Fulltone OCD, Fulltone Mini Deja Vibe, Fulltone Fat Boost, Dunlop Crybaby Wah, Boss DS1, Boss DD20 Giga Delay, Boss TU2 tuner, Boss BD2, Ibanez TS9 Tube screamer, Zoom 505. Radial tonebone hot british.

Post Thanks / Like

After rigorous testing I found that the stock Electro Harmonix 12AX7 was still in the Phase inverter position. It had become a little microphonic, so I tracked down a local tube shop, and picked up a couple of 12AX7s. I got a Tung Sol Reissiue, and a JJ ECC83S/high performance gold pin 12AX7. I tried both and found the gold pin to be a little too creamy. The Tung sol is more like it. I still am liking the stock speaker and I don't know if it is worth the 90 dollar Canadian to upgrade. (I know there are many opinions on that).
    I am also stoked that I found a great local supplier of tubes that has great prices and a ton of selection. That is all they deal in. Mostly mail order.
    The guy mentioned that the stock 6v6 EHs also hold it back but I am a firm believer in "if it ain't broke don't fix it" . Changing them would also mean I have to change the bias and again I am happy the way it sounds now. Also the over active treble has been subdued. I really love this amp with HB guitars.
    The Blues is alright!

Guitars: 1968 Gibson SG, 2005 Gibson SG Standard, 2006 Gibson LP Classic Gold top, 2004 Epiphone Elitist LP Custom, 1996 Gibson Les Paul Standard. 2001 Epiphone Sheraton II, 2007 Epiphone G400.
    Fender Strats: 1996 Fender 68 Reissue CIJ, 2008 Squier CV 50s, 2009 Squier CV 50s Tele Butterescotch Blonde

Amps: Blues Junior Special edition Jensen in Brown Tolex with Wheat front, 65 Deluxe Reverb reissue,1970 Sonax reverb by Traynor, Avatar Custom 2/12 Cabinet with Eminence Legend V1216 speakers,

Effects and Pedals: Fulltone Fulldrive II, Fulltone OCD, Fulltone Mini Deja Vibe, Fulltone Fat Boost, Dunlop Crybaby Wah, Boss DS1, Boss DD20 Giga Delay, Boss TU2 tuner, Boss BD2, Ibanez TS9 Tube screamer, Zoom 505. Radial tonebone hot british.

W. Branch of Susquehanna River, Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Scxd

A lot of people keep the stock speaker in there.

I immediately upgraded mine based on the info I had at hand and WANTED to do the mod. I wanted more volume and got it. Plus the sound is great. This is a great little amp.

As I said before, as time goes by you will "learn" new things about your amp. It is a deep well of awesome sounds and you will constantly be learning new ways to bring out new beautiful sounds. I see that some places are selling them again for 299 US, new.

I plan on playing my black Blacktop strat with maple board thru the SCXD this weekend. It sits right here above my HRDX next to my bed and above my laptop, ready to rock. I'm plugged into my Tweaker with my new Epi SG Faded right now enjoying this awesome but inexpensive guitar.

Everybody raves about the Classic Vibes, and I have two, but this Epi Faded is a real nice guitar, quality build, great pickups, very nice slim taper neck unlike my '66 copy School of Rock Epi SG that has a chunkier neck that is also really a nice neck. I think the SG is one of my favorite types of guitar and I'm appreciating them more lately. They have that iconic look and a really good vibe like the classic Les Paul has that iconic vibe going on. I'm also playing my white Squier Deluxe strat today, that I re-strung with Fender pure nickel "nines" last night. It sounds great, but definitely toned down from the D'darrios, almost slightly muffled, but you get excellent harmonics and the strings are producing a very full and satisfying sound in all switch positions.

Voices three and eight are two of my favorite voices on the SCXD, especially for humbuckers. The Tweaker works really well for me with humbucker guitars too. I really like the overdrive the humbuckers get out of it, plus it cleans up nicely as well. I use a good reverb pedal in front of it and it sounds great, the Tweaker that is.

I am later going to be stringing up my new black Blacktop strat with some D'darrio nines. There is a real good music store two blocks from my house that serves all of the local professionals and passers thru. That's where I played all of the Blacktops and hand picked my strat version in beautiful black and chrome, a classic color vibe that looks way better in person than in the advertising. You should hear it thru a good amp. I'm sure it will light up the SCXD like it does my HRDX. Maybe later today or over the weekend.

I will also be putting up some pictures but it is raining strongly today.

Have fun with your SCXD Z. I'm sure it has your uncompromised attention.

How is it standing up to the test of time? Any problems with it? Did you say one of the preamp tubes was microphonic? It will be interesting to hear how you like the one you have in there now and if it will be staying in.
    Duffy Bolduc
    South Williamsport, Pa.

"Now all the things that use to mean so much to me has got me old before my time." G. Allman, "Old Before My Time", Hittin' the Note.

Major changes to guitars and amps, to be updated soon.

Fiance - Supportive of musical art

Post Thanks / Like

I really like the one I have in there now. Here is what the Tubestore says about it. It is like my own little private tube store. They are about 10 blocks from my Fathers house and I visit him at least once a week.
    When I went to pick up the tubes they said that if they get 2 people a day at the pickup desk it is a lot. They are 99% mail order.
    http://thetubestore.com/tungsol12ax7.html
    The Blues is alright!

Post Thanks / Like

Wondering if any of you guys are still playing these SCXDs.....

Post Thanks / Like

My only regret is that I didn't order two!
    Gearlist:
    Electric: Ibanez 'AS103', Fender Dlx Nash Pwr Tele, Fender Squier '62 JV Strat, Squier '51, Squier 60's Classic Vibe Strat, Epi Elite LP Studio, Hagstrom Swede Acoustic: Larrivee LV-03RE, A&L AMI, Yamaha FG340-T Bass: Yamaha BB 450 Amps: Roland JC-120, JC-50, Peavey Classic 30, Fender Super Champ XD Pedals: Marshall Guv'nor Plus, Danelectro Cool Cat Drive, Transparent Overdrive, Digitech Digiverb, Bad Monkey, Ibanez TS-9, Boss AC-2, CE-5, CS-2, DD-3, DF-2, DS-1, FV-100, GE-7, OC-2, PSM-5, SD-1, TU-2, DVM~BYOC 'Lush Puppy' Chorus

Post Thanks / Like

Good to see someone still plays one.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12