Thread: Robert's minor blues in Bm lead recording

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Robert's minor blues in Bm lead recording

I don't think I've ever played over a backing track from Robert although listened to them many a time...so this morning I decided I'd do one, and here's my rendition of Robert's minor blues in Bm:

http://deeaa.pp.fi/clips/roberts_minor_dee.mp3

Recorded D/I to PC with my latest, the whammy-Yamaha w/an EMG 81.

Any comments welcome. I found it very difficult to try and come up with new variations all along the song, it's rather long. Especially the first 2 minutes or so are pretty damn boring now that I listen to it. Warmed up a little later on and going up the fretboard & started playing with the whammy bar.
    Dee

"When life's a biatch, be a horny dog"

Amps: Marshall JVM 410H w/ Plexi Cap mod, Choke Mod & Negative Feedback Removal mod, 4x12", Behringer GMX110, Amplitube 3/StealthPedal

Half a dozen custom built/bastardized guitars all with EMG's, mostly 85's, Ibanez Artwood acoustic & Yamaha SGR bass, Epiphone Prophecy SG, Vox Wah, Pitchblack tuner plus assorted pedals, rack gear etc. for home studio use.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

BTW is it OK Robert to post these clips with your backing to other forums as well? With mention to where the backing is from?
    Dee

Amps: Marshall JVM 410H w/ Plexi Cap mod, Choke Mod & Negative Feedback Removal mod, 4x12", Behringer GMX110, Amplitube 3/StealthPedal

Half a dozen custom built/bastardized guitars all with EMG's, mostly 85's, Ibanez Artwood acoustic & Yamaha SGR bass, Epiphone Prophecy SG, Vox Wah, Pitchblack tuner plus assorted pedals, rack gear etc. for home studio use.

Post Thanks / Like

Good smooth sound. I don't find the first two minutes boring. You spice up the typical pentatonic with some Santana-notes. Try some variations on your target notes in the end of your licks. Good melody runs from 4:30 on. Nothing to complain here. I enjoyed listening to your take deeaa.
    "A lot of people in the industry want to blame downloading for the state of the business. But I think if most music wasn't shit to begin with people wouldn't be downloading it for free," - Corey Taylor (Slipknot)

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Thanks Jimi...to me it sounds very boring, though...but then again most any AOR-style blues does to me. Although it's fun to play stuff like this, I would never ever listen to anything remotely like this myself, really...but I think this won't be both the first and the last time with such backings, it makes for fun playing.

I went for a smooth slightly Santana-type sound with the mix, but since it's completely D/I and just a dry guitar signal recorded on track, I can still flip it into complete Metallica or ultra-clean sparkle no problem...that's what's so brilliant with these plugin amps. I had it on a little less saturated, bluesier drive at first, and maybe that works even better.
    Dee

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks! That's great stuff! I liked the controlled first part.

Yes, go ahead and post it anywhere you want. If you mentioned where you got the backing track, that would be great. This one I didn't actually create though - I don't even remember where I got it from.
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds good for blues, but I agree that I usually wouldn't listen much to this sort of thing. Some of the vibratos really added a lot of character to it. I also like the sparse beginning, because you seemed to wring a lot of meaning from the notes and make them pop out more, due to the lack of a continual line.

I'm always amazed by that: just how much of a difference space makes in music. In large part, that's what makes riffs stand out, and your boys in AC/DC are a perfect example: basic chords, but played with interesting gaps in between that make it memorable.

Considering that was an EMG 81, that was a pretty full sound!
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    Does anyone read the original post?
    Guitars: Gibson LP Studio, MIA Fender Precision, Carvin C350
    Amps: Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 + Avatar B212 / Genzler 12-3, Acoustic B20
    Pedals: Pod HD500X, Diamond Compressor, Tech 21 VT Bass, Sonic Research Turbo Tuner

Post Thanks / Like

Nice playing. May not be your first choice of music, but you did a nice job nonetheless. There is lots of room for nice melodic construction within the blues envelope, even if it seems a bit restrictive. It's all in the execution. Enjoyed that.
    helliott in Hamilton
    Guitars -- 2 PRS CE 24s 85/15 pups, PRS semi-hollow CE 22, Fender Baja Telecaster; Gibson Les Paul Standard; 80s Strat updated with custom 69 pups, Anniversary Strat with Fat 50s, Epiphone Sheraton re-issue; Yamaha 5-string bass; Yamaha TBS 6 and 12 string acoustics,Takamine acoustic, Fender nylon string acoustic
    Amps -- Mesa Boogie Lone Star; Boss Katana 100, Peavey Blueamaster 2x10, Line 6 Helix
    Pedals etc: Mosfet Full Drive 2; Ibanez Tube Screamer; Fairfield Barbershop OD, Diamond Compressor; Voodo Sparkledrive, Boss Digital Delay DD7; Boss TU2 Chromatic Tuner; Cry Baby wah

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Thanks guys! And yeah, an 81 works fine for D/I...I find in D/I recording all that really matters is the pickup is noiseless. You can basically record with a singlecoil neck pickup and still make it sound like a biting bridge bucker, or vice versa...any suitably strong signal works fine with D/I and plugin modelers, they take the sound and change it so completely if wanted, it's all the same which guitar or pickup you use.
    Dee

Post Thanks / Like

Would love to hear it but nothing's coming down. Did you remove it?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Um, no...do try again...probably some glitch in international lines :-)
    Dee

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by deeaa
    Um, no...do try again...probably some glitch in international lines :-)
    Got it. Don't know about the international line glitches but downloading required copying and pasting the link in the browser for me. Otherwise no dice...I mean no deeaa

I like it. Nothing boring in there whatsoever. I read Jimi's comment after listening. For me 4:30 or so is when I was really flowing with it. Very nice.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Cool Deeaa! I missed this last week. I liked it very much! That playing at around 4:30 or so is really effective and nice for at the end! It was even more effective because you had to wait for it.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Tasty playing, Deeaa. We're always most critical of our own playing.

Post Thanks / Like

I missed this too.. nice playing and great tone
    I can't say that I've given up on a flanger cause I've never liked the effect either. I also can't say the same about Tremolo. I hate them both equally. - Tone2TheBone 2009