Thread: What benefits have you played?

Post Thanks / Like

Talking What benefits have you played?

What charities/causes, etc. have you done benefits for, as a musician or other performer? I play in church every week, but that's not specifically a fundraiser per se.

I've done batches of these over the years Very often clusterf*cks, but they sure teach you how to roll with the punches.

Anyhow, mine include:

Habitat for Humanity
    Civic Media Center (local alternative press reading room/library/showspace)-- did several of these
    Mission India (this is upcoming on this Friday, actually)
    National Organization for Women
    The Shamrock (local club in need of PA upgrades)
    Free Radio Gainesville (local pirate microbroadcasters, before such was legalized)-- two of these
    American Red Cross 9/11 Disaster Relief
    Krieger's Warehouse (local DIY showspace)
    Gainesville High School Video Club
    HOME Van (local homeless outreach)-- one show, and appeared on 2 different compilation CD's
    HempFest (local marijuana legalization group)
    Also, have done a couple memorial shows, one for a local cop, one for a local bartender

And you? Any good stories?

Post Thanks / Like

It seems all the gigs I've done have been benefits...for someone other than me.

I did play at Flood Aid. That was an outdoor event to raise money for the victims of the Yellowstone flood in Billings Montana. Also did some smaller gigs WAY in my past for municipal charities and some national organizations like MS and Cancer fund raisers. I don't really like doing them because the pay isn't very good usually.

The really good stories I have I probably can't tell here on the family forum. Just use your imagination and you'll probably be pretty close.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

I have done a lot of benefit work when I worked for Fender. Especially for the German Children Cancer Help Foundation.

With my band we played benefit gigs for:
    Homeless people in our city
    For the rebuild of a child home in our city
    concert for woman that have been circumsised
    Tsunami victims
    Every kid needs a breakfast foundation

A bunch of work with the gospel choir in our community, for e.g. a concert for poor kids in Brazil.
    "A lot of people in the industry want to blame downloading for the state of the business. But I think if most music wasn't shit to begin with people wouldn't be downloading it for free," - Corey Taylor (Slipknot)