Thread: Halloween Gigs anyone?

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Halloween Gigs anyone?

I'm playing Saturday night at a pub, with Myra and a bass player and a drummer.

We are dressing up of course.. I will be wearing some glossy tights and some ghastly shirt... and a hat of some sort. Not sure what I am supposed to be, but it will be hideous!

We are doing some "new", "cool?" tunes -
    Kiss - I was made for loving you
    Mellencamp - R.O.C.K in the USA
    Scorpions - Rock you like a hurricane
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

Shouldn't you work in some Halloween-appropriate material, like "Frankenstein" for instance.
    "I happen to have perfect situational awareness, Lana. Which cannot be taught, by the way. Like a poet's ... mind for ... to make the perfect words." - Sterling Archer

Post Thanks / Like

My vote is for Everyday is Halloween by Ministry.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    Does anyone read the original post?
    Guitars: Gibson LP Studio, MIA Fender Precision, Carvin C350
    Amps: Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 + Avatar B212 / Genzler 12-3, Acoustic B20
    Pedals: Pod HD500X, Diamond Compressor, Tech 21 VT Bass, Sonic Research Turbo Tuner

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I always like some of the old surf monster stuff from the 60s for halloween.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Yep, my band Dutch Bucket System is playing a private party on Friday and at one of our favorite venue on Halloween. I'm dressing as Jon Belushi's Samurai character from early Saturday Night Live. It should be a good time since we are a reasonably spooky sounding band.

Sun-We actually have a song titled Surf Munster that we play.
    Patrick

Post Thanks / Like

Would be fun to do Halloween-related tunes, but it won't be this time, because of lack of time for rehearsals.
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Very cool Hub! That is exactly the kind of thing I was talking about. It just seems like it would be fun to play at a party! That song rocks and would be fun to dance to at a halloween party. I always liked the guitar part in the Bobby Fuller 4 version of "Wolfman".

I couldn't find a youtube, but you can listen to a sample bit here

http://www.amazon.com/Monster-Mash-V...N%3DB00006SM6T

We play this album this time of year. Full of this kind of stuff.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

- j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

They asked us to play 70s and 80s rock, so that's what we will attempt. Cept Myra isn't too familiar with 80s rock...

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Yeah, sorry. I was going off on a tangent. You could do "Thriller" for 80's rock with the EVH solo!
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

- j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

"Do the Monster Mash".......
    Guitars
    Wilburn Versatare, '52 FrankenTele(Fender licensed parts), Fender USA Roadhouse Strat, Fender USA Standard B-bender Telecaster, Agile AL 3000 w/ WCR pickups, Ibanez MIJ V300 Acoustic, Squier Precision Bass,
    Amps
    Ceriatone Overtone Special, Musicman 212 Sixty-Five, Fender Blues Jr., Peavey Classic 30, Fender Super Reverb, Traynor YCV-40 WR Anniversary w/ matching 1x12 ext. cab, Epiphone SoCal 50w head w/ matching 4x12 cab (Lady Luck speakers), Avatar 2x12 semi-open back cab w/ Celestion speakers
    Pedals
    Digitech Bad Monkey, Digitech Jamman, DVM's ZYS, Goodrich volume pedal

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah Monster Mash would be a great one to work up a cover of.

Also the Groovy Goolies show theme makes a great cover.

One of my favorite Aussie bands of all time, the Meanies used to cover it (except the called it "Groovy Meanies")

No Youtube of that track though.....

Post Thanks / Like

Talking

I have 2 shows this weekend. The praise team is playing our first concert ever tonight. Not in church but next door in the fellowship hall. Real drums and the guitars/bass using backline stage volume-- YES! That should be pretty "scary" for some of our parishioners (of course, those people who'd be most scared won't be there). No Halloween theme or costumes, but we WILL have a FOG MACHINE. Awwwww yeah. I just hope we can get some people to come out for it.

As if to highlight the duality of my nature, Saturday the hippie side band, Cinnamon Hill, is playing our fave haunt (sorry, had to), the Kickin' Devil. Costumes optional, I reckon I'll just be a generic Army Man, since half the time I wear surplus anyhow. That should be interesting, our regular percussionist can't make it so we'll have another person sitting in. Also, our lead/lapsteel guy is out of town (which happens rather frequently), so I get to do ALL the electric guitar leads. Senora Krashpad and a batch of her friends are coming, and maybe my daughter and her girlfriend.

Good times aplenty.

Post Thanks / Like

Yep. got a gig tonight. The ensemble that got rained out last month is playing a Chicago Tavern tonight, called Moe's (think simpsons)

We tweaked the set list in honor of the "holiday" (Remember, we're "That 70's Ensemble")

Aqualung
    Witchy Woman
    Brandy
    Drift Away
    Doo Doo Doo Doo Doo (Heartbreaker)
    Werewolves of London
    Me and Mrs Jones
    Mr Big Stuff
    Rikki don't lose that number
    Misty Mountain Hop
    Night Moves
    Get Down Tonight
    Highway to Hell

I'm dressing in a Priest's collar and singing lead on Me and Mrs Jones. All in fun. Indoors, so we can't get rained out this time!!
    "It's never too late to be what you might have been" - Eliot

Guilars: '02 Heritage H-535 ASB; '04 Larrivée LV-03 w/Fishman Blend; '95 Washburn/Bourgeios D-55SW Cherokee
    Amphs: Boogie DC-2; DVM/BYOC Tweed Champlifier; Marshall AS50D
    Currently on Board: Ditto Looper; Boss TU-2; EB VP Jr; crybaby; DVM Spring Fever; DVM Mini Klone, Brena Effects Cali-Tremor tremolo; Strymon El Capistan

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by oldguy
    "Do the Monster Mash".......
    He he, I was just playing that on my bass a couple days ago.

No real gig for me, however all was not lost.

My guitarist had his usual Halloween party and our band played some and much jamming took place.

An interesting thing happened though; I was a bit buzzed and picked up his living room guitar and was casually playing along with some Metallica that was on the stereo. I didn't have a pick on me and just used my fingers.

After the Metallica ended, I kept playing and fell into this really cool groove. Our old singer came in and heard it and suggested going downstairs to the band room to have some fun with it. He picked up a bass and I grabbed my guitarist's Charvel and began jamming on it while making up new parts. The drummer heard us and came down to join in further adding to the groove. Then a bunch of party guests came down to listen. I'll probably never be able to re-create that groove again though...

It was super-fun and I'm really liking this strange finger strumming technique that I made up. I may keep pursuing this oddball finger-style method to see what comes out of it.