Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Gibson Breaks New Wind With $5500 MIC POS - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Gibson Breaks New Wind With $5500 MIC POS

Post Thanks / Like

Unless I'm missing something, it does appear to be made in the U.S.
    Regardless of where it is made however, I find it hard to believe that this isn't some kind of joke.

I just wrote and deleted a long (really...) rant about the major U.S. makers corporate culture. Let's just say that I think it's completely out of touch. They should move away from the penthouse and rediscover the garage...

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Did anyone happen to see the "contest" to win one of those POS Firebird X? Funny, to win a 5K Fender (when they have a contest) all you have to do is enter your name and pray. Gibson wants you to post this or do that. And I agree about the comparison to "sport cars". What the hell is that? And what sports car are they referring to? Pontiac is no more so it cannot be comparing to the car by the same name
    Guitars: '06 Les Paul Classic Goldtop, '07 SG classic, '79 ES335TD Blond, '88 Telecaster, '08 Custom Shop Strat 57 NOS, Framus '69 Goucho Acoustic, '72 Framus Caravelle hollow body, '09 Hagstrom Swede, '10 Ibanez AG95 and '69 Heit

Amps: Fender Blues Deluxe Tweed, Marshall JCM 900 50W full stack, Roland Cube 20XL and '69 Checkmate!

Pedals: (all DVM) Tremolo, "Rabid Rodent" distortion, "Zonkin Yellow Screamer" OD/Boost, "Gee Ain't That Swell" volume swell, and "Mega Muff" fuzz

Post Thanks / Like

As much as I like Gibson guitars....this is just a BIG joke, not only is the thing over priced it's down right butt ugly!!! What's up with this company. Seems like all they put out anymore is over priced crap. All these different singnature models and fancy smancy models that can tune themselves cook you dinner and give you a back rub. Why not just make a quailty guitar at an resonable price??? Who's running this company anyway

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by syo
    Unless I'm missing something, it does appear to be made in the U.S....
    Thanks for pointing that out. I'd assumed the MIC thing to be factual. Appears not to be so. I went back and edited my post after checking out the thing on Gibson's site.

It's hilarious to call that a guitar. Electonic device, yes. I'd call it a Wannabe Guitar Hero Computer Interface.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wingsdad
    Thanks for pointing that out. I'd assumed the MIC thing to be factual. Appears not to be so. I went back and edited my post after checking out the thing on Gibson's site.

It's hilarious to call that a guitar. Electonic device, yes. I'd call it a Wannabe Guitar Hero Computer Interface.
    I couldn't find anything on the Gibson site about country of manufacture, but I'd had third hand info that it was MIC. If this was erroneous, I apologize.
    -Sean
    Guitars: Lots.
    Amphs: More than last year.
    Pedals: Many, although I go straight from guitar to amp more often lately.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FrankenFretter
    I couldn't find anything on the Gibson site about country of manufacture, but I'd had third hand info that it was MIC. If this was erroneous, I apologize.
    No need for you to apologize, ff, as you were simply passing on 'expert', seemingly credible, info from whatever site or sites you got it from.

If you were duped into believing it, you're not alone, as now 'the telephone game' has already begun out there.

You might want to pose the question over there as to what their 'expert' assessment was based on.

Actually, the only indication on the Gibson site for this Toy of where it's made is implied by the site's page header: Gibson USA. Nowhere among all the silly specs minutiae could I find a clue.

In other words, I didn't see anything that stated unequivacally where it is or isn't being made.

For all anyone knows, this Toy has its components and modules made all over the globe and the sum of those parts is merely being assembled. Somewhere. By a team of unemployed Fishing Lure Craftsman. Master Baiters.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FrankenFretter
    On the Gibson homepage it says "New from Gibson USA" and on the product page for the FirebirdMachXLimitedEditionTurboUltraConforlite(TM) it says Gibson USA at the top left.

But let's face it where it is made is the least of Gibson's problems on this one...

Post Thanks / Like

It appears to me:

Gibson - Out of touch with its customer base.

Epiphone - Completely in touch with its customers and develops products that will be appreciated by the buying public.

Post Thanks / Like

I posted incorrect MIC infurmashunz... Apologies... Looks like I got the facts about the X (refuse to call it a Firebird) mixed up with the rumor about the USB MIC Studio.
    Guitars:
    Fender 2006 MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS in 3TS
    Ibanez RG 570 with a bridge Invader
    ESP M II Deluxe with a Tune-o-Matic bridge
    Eleanor, the magical, mystical Road Worn wonder Tele
    Blackstar HT Club 40

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Katastrophe
    I posted incorrect MIC infurmashunz... Apologies... Looks like I got the facts about the X (refuse to call it a Firebird) mixed up with the rumor about the USB MIC Studio.
    You wouldn't happen to be George_Jetson elsewhere, would you Kat?
    -Sean
    Guitars: Lots.
    Amphs: More than last year.
    Pedals: Many, although I go straight from guitar to amp more often lately.

Post Thanks / Like

Nope... This is the only forum that I post on. I do lurk around at a couple others. I like reading info on Agiles, Teles, and Les Pauls, so I look at the NGDs on the Agile forum, TDPRI, and mylespaul. I also like looking at the mod / build threads. They interest me since I have zero ability to mod or build a guitar. Good amp info on those forums, too.

Since I don't own any of those guitars, and really don't have much to contribute, I haven't signed up.
    Guitars:
    Fender 2006 MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS in 3TS
    Ibanez RG 570 with a bridge Invader
    ESP M II Deluxe with a Tune-o-Matic bridge
    Eleanor, the magical, mystical Road Worn wonder Tele
    Blackstar HT Club 40

Post Thanks / Like

Default A contrarian view

Momentarily setting aside the whacky Gibson marketing hyperbole, this thing may not be as bad as folks make it out to be. First, the listed price is MSRP and street price would be significantly less that the $5.5k. The shape is a bit strange, but for all we know could be quite comfortable for long nights in the studio. Musicman made the Big Al bass that's pretty weird, but it's still an excellent instrument. It does look to be made in USA of high quality materials which partly justifies some of the high cost.

The built-in DSP effects strike me as hokey, but you never know about how that actually works out until you play it. It could sound fantastic and keep stage clutter down to a minimum.

Obviously, at that price point, this isn't a guitar for the weekend warrior. It could, however, offer the pro musician a broad pallate to work with in the studio if executed well.

Post Thanks / Like

Surely that must be a toy, right...?
    Moped: Piaggio Ciao PX

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I'm sure Gibson will make up for lost Firebird X sales with this new Jonas Brothers Melody Maker!
    I can see thousands of guitar enthusiasts GASing over this, selling off gear to get the needed spending money. MSRP is $1165 US.
    Guitar: Gibson SG Standard Natural Burst, Squier CV 50's Tele, Hell Guitars No. 2, Squier CV 50's Strat, Reverend Club King 290, Taylor 522e 12-Fret mahogany,
    Squier Vintage Modified Jaguar Bass Short Scale
    Amp: Fender Super Champ X2 Head, Egnater Tweaker 15, Fender Mustang I, Acoustic B20 1x12 bass amp
    Pedal: Budda Budwah wah, Wampler Ego Compressor, Electro-Harmonix Soul Food, Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive, Wampler Velvet Fuzz, Seven Sisters Eve Tremolo, TC Electronics Gravy Tri Chorus & Vibrato, Catalinbread Echorec, TC Electronic Alter Ego 2 Delay, Hardwire Supernatural Ambient Verb, MXR Carbon Copy, Catalinbread RAH, Big Muff Pi with Tone Wicker, BYOC Mouse 2.0 Distortion, BYOC Boost/OD-2

Post Thanks / Like

I saw that today, all I got to say is whatever they smoke in Gibson head quarters they need to share with us common folks. I think thats the only way we'll even have a remote chance to understand the reasoning behind that one especially.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12