Thread: Lime Wire shut down

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Lime Wire shut down

NEW YORK - A U.S. federal judge Tuesday granted the music industry's request to shut down the popular LimeWire file-sharing service, which had been found liable for copyright infringement.

The ruling by Judge Kimba Wood in Manhattan federal court halts one of the world's biggest services for letting consumers share music, movies and TV shows for free over the Internet.

Saying that LimeWire's parent Lime Wire LLC intentionally caused a "massive scale of infringement" involving thousands of works, Wood issued a permanent injunction that requires the company to disable its "searching, downloading, uploading, file trading and/or file distribution functionality."

Record companies "have suffered -- and will continue to suffer -- irreparable harm from Lime Wire's inducement of widespread infringement of their works," Wood wrote.

http://jam.canoe.ca/Music/2010/10/26/15842401.html
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

Wow Limewire, that takes me back

I haven't used that app for maybe 5+ years. I switched to a BT app about that time and never looked back.

Limewire used to be good for rare individual tracks from memory. For all the bluster from the judge, frankly I'd be more concerned about BT clients and TPB.

The more authorities tell me not to do something the more I want to do it. IMO one of the better strategies for discouraging file sharing is dropping fakes. You see it a bit, but nowhere as much as I'd have expected if the content owners -really- wanted to fight.

Essentially you label up some junk file/s and label them as the latest BDrip or Music release and bang them on the BT network. Heck, drop trojans or whatever in there too if you like. The anticipated result is the tech savvy people will still get the files they want, but the casual BT user (and there are many, many of those) will get frustrated and annoyed and might just buy the media.

Anyway, just a thought as a look at the 776,933,795 IP's associated with anti-torrent agencies, adware, spyware, and data trackers I have blacklisted and blocked..........(yes thats 776 Million)

Post Thanks / Like

GOOD!!!!

I hate the whole download process. I know its the modern age and will be here for a long long time to come. I wont say its the last way we'll ever get money, because honestly you just never know what tomarrow will bring.

Personally call me old fashion, but I wont download I wont even pay for a download even if thats the only way to get a song. I like having the entire package, the music, the artwork, the notes, and lyrics or whatever else they toss in. I really liked how the black crowes packaged up the croweology album. I wont convert to downloading untill I can not find music on cd or vinyl.

Personaly I feel record sales will continue to fall, regardless of what formats are available. For one, to me todays music in general doesnt give that same vibe that it did years ago. Things have gotten to easy. For those of us who rembers music before cd's. Will recall a time when you ran out and bought the new.....GnR....album you basically had to listen to it all to get to the songs on the radio. I mean you could fast forward, or find the spot on vinly to skip a spot. But it really was a pain especially if you really bought it for only that one song. By having to sit down and listen to the entire album you almost always found songs that never made it to radio or video(when they had good music tv and not reality tv tv). And by doing so I beleive that you would finds bands you fell in love with and you'd also find bands that was ok or worse. With those days gone, especially kids today are not forced by with the nature of the world will never imo discover bands like they did 20 or so years ago. I also beleive this is one reason that it seems Metal has so many diehard fans. In general, Metal doesnt receive alot of air time. So fans of those bands have to research them for themself. Which created a tighter bond between fan and band. I think the influence of metal is seen mostly by the new guitars built today. Take a company like Schecter, most of the guitars you see of theirs have EMG 81/85 and Duncan Blackouts. I cant say for sure but Ive heard the Custom Custom in most bridge spot with the 59 in the neck is also leaned towards metal a little. Im not saying active pick ups are metal or bust, but I know several people who like them for metal but would prefer a more passive pup for most anything else, and I tend to agree.

Bottom line imo....The Music Industry will not regain its once infamous status untill the bands find a better more effiecent way to get non-commerical tracks from their albums into the peoples ears. Plus so much has been done its hard to be orginal for upcoming bands. I often wonder if a band like Velvet Revolver, Chicken Foot or Hell Yea...heck even Heaven and Hell before Dio's passing would of ever of had a album if it wasnt for the success already acheived by the members of these bands. I'll even venture we probably have a handfull of guys in here that are in bands worthy of a major record label and even more bands that we all know in our little necks of the woods. That will never get out of the bars and the bands highlight might only be opening up for a signed band at some of the bigger bars.

Ok my rant is done.

Post Thanks / Like

Jx2 One thing to add to your comments about records and having to listen to the whole thing to get to the radio friendly track.

Shuffle

Back in the record days, as you so correctly say, you tended to just bang the record on and listen to a sequence of tracks in the order the artist intended. Now with CD/MP3 it's all about the shuffle. Heck I LOVE iTunes genius for banging together songs that go well together, but imagine if thats how you heard Dark Side of the Moon the first time? All shuffled up in random order? Epic Fail.

Post Thanks / Like

yea, the whole shuffle thing is odd to me you listed the perfect example. songs disks that might be ok, but whats the point really for enjoyable listening purposes.

with that said back in my party days we use to play a drinking game with shuffle. My buddy would throw a mix of songs onto media player and then hit the shuffle button. once a song started, the first one who named that tune was safe. Everyone else had to finish off their beer by the end of the song. which isnt that bad, but youd get trashed quicker than one might think, and if you failed to finish off that beer then you had to do a shot. think along the lines of drinking a shot of beer every minute, but doing a entire beer in 3-5 minutes on average.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ch0jin
    Wow Limewire, that takes me back

I haven't used that app for maybe 5+ years. I switched to a BT app about that time and never looked back.

Limewire used to be good for rare individual tracks from memory. For all the bluster from the judge, frankly I'd be more concerned about BT clients and TPB.

The more authorities tell me not to do something the more I want to do it. IMO one of the better strategies for discouraging file sharing is dropping fakes. You see it a bit, but nowhere as much as I'd have expected if the content owners -really- wanted to fight.

Essentially you label up some junk file/s and label them as the latest BDrip or Music release and bang them on the BT network. Heck, drop trojans or whatever in there too if you like. The anticipated result is the tech savvy people will still get the files they want, but the casual BT user (and there are many, many of those) will get frustrated and annoyed and might just buy the media.
    Yup, I agree with this whole thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    Does anyone read the original post?
    Guitars: Gibson LP Studio, MIA Fender Precision, Carvin C350
    Amps: Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 + Avatar B212 / Genzler 12-3, Acoustic B20
    Pedals: Pod HD500X, Diamond Compressor, Tech 21 VT Bass, Sonic Research Turbo Tuner

Post Thanks / Like

doesn't surprise me, just surprised it took so long to happen.
    Guitars: Ibanez RG420EG, Harrier Mistral Ice White Tele
    Amps: Hughes & Kettner Edition Blue 15R (w/ 8" Celestion), Marshall Valvestate Mk.I 8100 Head, Blackheart BH5H Head
    Cabs: Marshall 4x12 (4 x Celestion Pro 12")
    FX:Line 6 Floor POD, BOSS 7-band GE-7, BOSS Mega Distortion MD-2, Vox V847a Reissue Wah, Danelectro Cool Cat Drive

Just another Rig Sig Jig, Dig?

Post Thanks / Like

They will never put the genie back in the bottle. For everyone they close 10 more will open. It's a new age.....adapt!
    LIVE AND LET ROCK!!