Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Guitar room - Calling on your inner Martha Stewart...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Guitar room - Calling on your inner Martha Stewart...

Post Thanks / Like

Default Guitar room - Calling on your inner Martha Stewart...

A section of the basement will be mine to set my music stuff in - play and tinker areas.
    It is semi-finished, but surfaces need refreshing, and I want a translucent wall to get more natural light in a darker corner, so there is no "legacy" color/theme to worry about.
    A tad humid, as it is in a coastal area, but a dehumidifier is in the works.

It will be man-cave, not the NLF-watching kind, though - I already have wall art, like 45's form the sixties (Chubby Checker, the Shirelles, The Drifters) I found at the dump...

What colors or textures would enhance the musical experience, given the limited amount of natural light?
    Less golf, more saxophone

Post Thanks / Like

Gloss white.
    _____

GUITARS - Carvin DC127M - Carvin Bolt kit
    AMPS - Bogner Alchemist 112 - Blackheart Handsome Devil half stack
    FXs - Roger Linn Adrenalinn III - Boss GT-10
    _____

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kiteman
    Gloss white.
    We are not going in the right direction here...
    Maybe mentioning Martha was not a god idea, after all.

Post Thanks / Like

Look at the label colors on your 45s. Is there a light color or colors used as lettering or in the background? Are you trying to evoke a 50s and 60s atmosphere? Then use colors like turquoise, or go to guitar finishes like seafoam green, shell pink, etc. Have fun!

Post Thanks / Like

Lots of small wattage lamps. You'll get zonal lighting that will allow some great ambiance. You'll also keep the electrical bill down.

Since you are in a basement don't forget room treatment. You'll need to absorb some sound reflections. Couches, carpet, cloth wall hangings can all help with this.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I am into earthy colors that provide a warm background. So if you need lighter colors, some color you might find in an Arizona canyon, or something like that. Then the memorabilia and guitars, etc., can all pop off the more natural background.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by poodlesrule
    We are not going in the right direction here...
    Maybe mentioning Martha was not a god idea, after all.
    I suggested it because it'll give you more ambient light.
    _____

_____

Post Thanks / Like

All black walls trimed in high gloss white..a blacklight..
    and ofcourse some things from this listing:
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com/navig...=100001+709685

umm...my teen years are showing..

Jimmie Vaughan Strat , Squire 51
    Epi 56 GoldTop, SX "Vintage" Jazz Bass
    Zager 50, Guild GAD30R (Excellent)
    G-Dec 3 Thirty, Valve Junior & Cab
    Crate PowerBlock, Crate V33H
    JamVox, Studio GX With Mods/Farm 2.0.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kiteman
    I suggested it because it'll give you more ambient light.
    OK, that makes sense.

I agree on the gloss, and the white would help bounce the light around.
    I was thinking more saturated yellows, or blues, as I had to agree to very light colors upstairs, under SWMBO (she who must be obeyed).

I wish I had the dough to have a basement window cut in the top part of the concrete foundation, like 30 x 20 or so. A long-term investment in comfort level?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by poodlesrule
    OK, that makes sense.

I agree on the gloss, and the white would help bounce the light around.
    I was thinking more saturated yellows, or blues, as I had to agree to very light colors upstairs, under SWMBO (she who must be obeyed).

I wish I had the dough to have a basement window cut in the top part of the concrete foundation, like 30 x 20 or so. A long-term investment in comfort level?
    Right and I just realized that sound might bounce around so that didn't come out right here. Back to the drawing board I guess.
    _____

_____

Post Thanks / Like

If you smoke Id watch really light colors. If you dont how about something like a sandstone, brown or tan?

Another idea for lighting is x-mas tree lights. Hang them along the top of the wall. My old roommate and I did that in the front/party room of our trailer years ago. It really set the mood. We only used white lights, but if you wanted to get really funky go with the old school red, blue, and other color bigger bulbs.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I am into this earthy green in my guitar room, and in hang out rooms in general. Kind of a guacamole color. It is a nice place to hang out in. I did not not suggest it at first because of the light issue.

This shows the color of the room. But it is a light room.

It is among those earthy tones I was talking about. Like JX2 was saying, a sandstone sort of color was what I was suggesting when I mentioned AZ canyon type colors. Lighter, with maybe some burnt red or rust in it.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

- j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

I dunno, the last studio I decorated had white walls and black splatter paint all over. I'm probably the wrong person to ask! It was the early nineties, we were all single, and building a garage studio for our band.

Seriously, I wouldn't make any color you choose too bright or brash. Pick a wall color, and people at the paint store can help choose complementary colors. I tend to go for far more neutral beiges and off whites these days. Boring, maybe, but relaxing to be in.

EDIT: Steve, I bet you get some hellacious reverb in that room!
    Guitars:
    Fender 2006 MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS in 3TS
    Ibanez RG 570 with a bridge Invader
    ESP M II Deluxe with a Tune-o-Matic bridge
    Eleanor, the magical, mystical Road Worn wonder Tele
    Blackstar HT Club 40

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

LOL Kat!

It has a big sectional couch right across from my amph, maybe 6 feet away the way the room is set up now, and curtain thingies (not actual curtains, but the fabric that hides the blinds underneath) above the windows, some throw rugs on the floor and etc. So the echo chamber got toned down some.

It looks more like this now.

Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

- j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

One of these days I'll have myself a little jam room instead of a jam corner.

Post Thanks / Like

My music room is a nice deep dark green, but then again, I'm extremely photosensitive so light is not my friend.
    "I happen to have perfect situational awareness, Lana. Which cannot be taught, by the way. Like a poet's ... mind for ... to make the perfect words." - Sterling Archer

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jx2
    One of these days I'll have myself a little jam room instead of a jam corner.
    Mine is a corner of a good sized room. It is nice, but since it is the multi media room too, it is a well used room, and hard to get time in. Headphones are becoming my friend.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

- j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jx2
    If you smoke Id watch really light colors. If you dont how about something like a sandstone, brown or tan?
    Another idea for lighting is x-mas tree lights
    Good points Jx2 and others.

Don't smoke and don't plan too, unless I need to, and then wall color will be the least of my worries (I should write a PSA on men's health here, one of these days...).

Christmas lights: Good idea, but I am NOT ready to add that the the room, as I removed tons of it, and a bunch of other stuff hanging for the ceiling like fishnets, seashells when we moved in! Foreclosed PO was doing some partying down there..! For some odd reason there were also miles of speaker cables...

Maybe I should watch Wayne's World again... I already have a white strat, just like Wayne. "Schwing!"

North of the Equator: I am a Southerner, Southern Ontario!
    Post Thanks / Like

One thing to try is some track lighting, especially where you amps are going to be. Nothing worse than trying in see your settings in a dark room. Lighter walls will make it look cleaner and brighter.
    The Blues is alright!

Guitars: 1968 Gibson SG, 2005 Gibson SG Standard, 2006 Gibson LP Classic Gold top, 2004 Epiphone Elitist LP Custom, 1996 Gibson Les Paul Standard. 2001 Epiphone Sheraton II, 2007 Epiphone G400.
    Fender Strats: 1996 Fender 68 Reissue CIJ, 2008 Squier CV 50s, 2009 Squier CV 50s Tele Butterescotch Blonde

Amps: Blues Junior Special edition Jensen in Brown Tolex with Wheat front, 65 Deluxe Reverb reissue,1970 Sonax reverb by Traynor, Avatar Custom 2/12 Cabinet with Eminence Legend V1216 speakers,
    2008 DSL100 Marshall Amp , Fender Super Champ XD,Fender Vibro Champ XD

Effects and Pedals: Fulltone Fulldrive II, Fulltone OCD, Fulltone Mini Deja Vibe, Fulltone Fat Boost, Dunlop Crybaby Wah, Boss DS1, Boss DD20 Giga Delay, Boss TU2 tuner, Boss BD2, Ibanez TS9 Tube screamer, Zoom 505. Radial tonebone hot british.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast