Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Brought home a Black Top today.

W. Branch of Susquehanna River, Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Brought home a Black Top today.

I have my new black Black Top maple board strat at home now. Just picked it up. Set up at the shop.

Will get some nice pictures and share my impressions as I play it more.

I played all the Black Top series and liked this particular strat the best for tone and feel. The tele was my second choice of the bunch. The Jazzmaster was my last choice because it is noisey, even in the bridge humbucker only switch position. I like the Jazzmaster but the noise is something I'm trying to minimize.

One thing I can say about the Black Top strat is that it has a five way switch that uses the inside and outside coils of the two humbuckers in split coil mode when in positions 2 and 4 - and the single coil positions are completely silent and have a great strat tone, relatively speaking. The single coil split positions are lower output than the full humbucking 1, 3, and 5 switch positions, but if you cared you could get a pickup booster pedal or other pedal to increase the output and stomp it when switching to the split coils on the run. Have it set up and balanced out for volume before playing. Or you could just use your volume control on the guitar.

Anyway, all of the pickup switch settings sound great. The full humbucking positions are all noticeably different sounding, as well as the split coil settings. Nothing sounds muddy at all. The humbuckers are "hot" and definitely hit the preamp harder than the average "paf" type humbucker.

I would encourage you to play some Black Tops and see what you think. You might be surprised.

This particular guitar played thru a Hot Rod Deluxe sounds beautiful. I can't wait to try it with my Egnater Tweaker hooked up to the Epi So. Cal. cab. and switch it to super high gain, then switch it to the silent single coil settings.

I'll try to get some pictures asap.
    Duffy Bolduc
    South Williamsport, Pa.

"Now all the things that use to mean so much to me has got me old before my time." G. Allman, "Old Before My Time", Hittin' the Note.

Major changes to guitars and amps, to be updated soon.

Fiance - Supportive of musical art

Post Thanks / Like

Congrats!
    Guitars:
    Fender 2006 MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS in 3TS
    Ibanez RG 570 with a bridge Invader
    ESP M II Deluxe with a Tune-o-Matic bridge
    Eleanor, the magical, mystical Road Worn wonder Tele
    Blackstar HT Club 40

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Well, congrats again Duffy! Tell me in more detail what you thought of the tele please. Oh, and do they have that strat in a RW board? Did you play one?
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

SVL, they do have the BT strat with a RW board but it was not available to play. I played the jag and jazzmaster with RW boards and they sounded great, but the jazzmaster is very noisey, even just the bridge HB - noise must bleed in from the jazz pickup. The middle position on the jazzmaster is also noisey.

The tele is a fantastic guitar. It was a difficult decision but the strat connected with me more, maybe the psychological factor of the black and chrome made it sound better, but I think it compliments my collection very well and the five position switch is very useful and completely quiet in all positions. The tele has a three way switch.

The particular tele I played was candy apple red, a color I'm not really interested in at this point, but the neck was really nice quarter sawn with a beautiful straight grain. The tele sounded super good. Those humbuckers don't just look good they are very articulate and the neck pickup is not even close to even a suggestion of muddiness. They sound clear and clean, very smooth as well.

I have a similar dual HB tele and this influenced my decision to get the strat. But I liked the sound of this particular strat slightly better and the five way switch and of course the tremolo.

You should hear the BT strat. It sounds really beautiful, including the split coil positions. The tele sounds very beautiful as well and is way more awesome looking in person than in the advertizing, stunning really.

As much as I like the tele, another reason I didn't get it is that I just bought a MIM standard tele when I was in Nashville as a souvenir. It does not noise cancel in the middle position with the so called upgraded ceramic pickups. Because of this it is noisy in all positions and it is irritating with higher gain going on, so I am going to put noise cancelling pickups in it - Fender Vintage Noiseless or Seymour Duncan Hot Lead Stack bridge and Rythym Stack neck noiseless but with single coil sound.

You might want to drive down to GC or where ever they sell Fenders by you and check out that BT tele. It would probably be worth the trip even if you don't buy it, just to check one out in person. Seems like there would be a lot of Fender dealers around Idaho with all those cowboy bands going around.
    Duffy Bolduc
    South Williamsport, Pa.

"Now all the things that use to mean so much to me has got me old before my time." G. Allman, "Old Before My Time", Hittin' the Note.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Thanks Duffy. There are very few guitar stores in Idaho at all, at least any with any selection. One not too far from Spud, and Guitar Center in Boise. Other than that, most of the stores have closed. I will check that line out when I go to pick up my CV tele when I finish paying for it.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

- j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

This might be too much trouble to ask, Duffy... BUT, if you have a spare moment, could you pull a pickup and see if those are indeed Duncan Designed? It may say so underneath the pup if the cover is blank.

The curiosity is bugging me, and Guitar Center might not like it if I show up with a screwdriver in hand, asking to see a Blacktop.
    Guitars:
    Fender 2006 MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS in 3TS
    Ibanez RG 570 with a bridge Invader
    ESP M II Deluxe with a Tune-o-Matic bridge
    Eleanor, the magical, mystical Road Worn wonder Tele
    Blackstar HT Club 40

Post Thanks / Like

Aah, found the switching scheme. A bit PRS but with both 'buckers on in the middle. A lot of range here.

Pickup Switching: 5-Position Blade: Position 1. Full Bridge Pickup, Position 2. Two Inside Single Coils, Position 3. Both Full Humbucking Pickups, Position 4. Outer Neck Single Coil, Position 5. Full Neck Pickup
    Electric: Fat strat > Korg PB > TS7 > DS1 > DD-20 > Cube 60 (Fender model)

Acoustic: Guitar > microphone > audience

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Duffy
    The tele is a fantastic guitar... Those humbuckers don't just look good they are very articulate and the neck pickup is not even close to even a suggestion of muddiness. They sound clear and clean, very smooth as well.
    My findings as well. I played a BT Tele (Black on Black, rosewood board) thru a HRD at Long & McQuade yesterday. Great guitar at an awesome price point. Gassing for one a little bit, but I currently have Tele territory pretty well covered.
    Electrics: Hagstrom Ultra Swede (Gold Eagle Burst) Gretsch 5120 Electromatic (Orange) Custom Nashville Blackout Telecaster (Black, Stat mid/neck p'ups; Lil Puncher (Modern Vintage) bridge p'up; Wilkinson Compensated Bridge w/ 3 brass saddles, Warmoth Vintage Modern Birdseye Maple Neck) Fender MIM Stratocaster (Blue Agave, Rosewood Fretboard, Fender Tex-Mex p'ups; GFS Trem/Block Kit) Highland Spitfire (semi-hollow, flame maple top w/ bubinga inlay)
    Acoustics:Washburn D10CEQSB, Yamaha FG160E
    Bass: Westone Spectrum ST, Warwick Rockbass Corvette Basic Active
    Amps: Vox NT15H/V112NT Night Train, Peavey Bandit 112, Hartke HyDrive 210C Bass Amp, Vox DA5

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

A little OT, but T-Ross, what bucker did you use in the tele conversion? I may do one on my CV after I get it. (Oh, your sig line says a Dream 90. What's that?)
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

- j. johnson

North of the Equator: I am a Southerner, Southern Ontario!
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Katastrophe
    This might be too much trouble to ask, Duffy... BUT, if you have a spare moment, could you pull a pickup and see if those are indeed Duncan Designed? It may say so underneath the pup if the cover is blank.

The curiosity is bugging me, and Guitar Center might not like it if I show up with a screwdriver in hand, asking to see a Blacktop.
    I sent an email to Fender yesterday. I told them they are too vague in there pickup descriptions. In this day and age most want the DC resistance and who made them and what pickup they are emulating, if they are doing so.
    I hope to get to the bottom of this. I asked point blank who makes them and what they are. They sent me the receipt email and are supposed to get back to me in 24 to 48 hours. We shall see. I will let you know.
    The Blues is alright!

Guitars: 1968 Gibson SG, 2005 Gibson SG Standard, 2006 Gibson LP Classic Gold top, 2004 Epiphone Elitist LP Custom, 1996 Gibson Les Paul Standard. 2001 Epiphone Sheraton II, 2007 Epiphone G400.
    Fender Strats: 1996 Fender 68 Reissue CIJ, 2008 Squier CV 50s, 2009 Squier CV 50s Tele Butterescotch Blonde

Amps: Blues Junior Special edition Jensen in Brown Tolex with Wheat front, 65 Deluxe Reverb reissue,1970 Sonax reverb by Traynor, Avatar Custom 2/12 Cabinet with Eminence Legend V1216 speakers,
    2008 DSL100 Marshall Amp , Fender Super Champ XD,Fender Vibro Champ XD

Effects and Pedals: Fulltone Fulldrive II, Fulltone OCD, Fulltone Mini Deja Vibe, Fulltone Fat Boost, Dunlop Crybaby Wah, Boss DS1, Boss DD20 Giga Delay, Boss TU2 tuner, Boss BD2, Ibanez TS9 Tube screamer, Zoom 505. Radial tonebone hot british.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sunvalleylaw
    A little OT, but T-Ross, what bucker did you use in the tele conversion? I may do one on my CV after I get it. (Oh, your sig line says a Dream 90. What's that?)
    Originally was a Duncan Designed humbucker in the neck, replaced it with a GFS Dream 90 single coil. The Duncan Designed stacked humbucking p'up in the bridge was replaced with a GFS Lil Puncher dual-rail humbucker.

Sonically, very similar to the BT Tele, and with the Warmoth neck I'd give the edge to my Squier. If I was looking for a crunchy Tele, the BT would be high on my list
    Electrics: Hagstrom Ultra Swede (Gold Eagle Burst) Gretsch 5120 Electromatic (Orange) Custom Nashville Blackout Telecaster (Black, Stat mid/neck p'ups; Lil Puncher (Modern Vintage) bridge p'up; Wilkinson Compensated Bridge w/ 3 brass saddles, Warmoth Vintage Modern Birdseye Maple Neck) Fender MIM Stratocaster (Blue Agave, Rosewood Fretboard, Fender Tex-Mex p'ups; GFS Trem/Block Kit) Highland Spitfire (semi-hollow, flame maple top w/ bubinga inlay)
    Acoustics:Washburn D10CEQSB, Yamaha FG160E
    Bass: Westone Spectrum ST, Warwick Rockbass Corvette Basic Active
    Amps: Vox NT15H/V112NT Night Train, Peavey Bandit 112, Hartke HyDrive 210C Bass Amp, Vox DA5

Post Thanks / Like

Congrats You Lucky Stiff!!!! Enjoy!!!
    Maxi...................

Bootsy Collins:
    I pledge allegiance to the funk, the whole funk, and nothing but the funk, so help me James, Sly and George, Amen!!

Guitars: 2010 American Special HSS Strat, 2010 CIC Squire CV ThinLine Tele, & 2006 MIM FSR Strat.

Basses: 1979 Peavey T-40, 2007 Ibanez SR 500, 2013 Ibanez SR375F, 2013 CIJ Fender Geddy Lee Jazz Bass, 2014 Sadowsky Will Lee VI, & 2014 Sadowsky Will Lee Metro V

Amps: Mesa Boogie BASS STRATEGY:Eight:88, Aguliar DB 4X12, Augilar DB 751, Genz Benz CTR500-210T/Focus 1X15 CAB, Fender Hot Rod Deville 410, VHT Deliverance 60/VHT 2X12 fat Bottom Cab, & VOX DA20

Effects: Boss ME-25, MXR Custom Baddass 78, MXR Custom Baddass modified O.D., Vox Joe Satriani Satchurator, MXR Phase 90, MXR Bass Chorus Deluxe/Octave Deluxe/Bass Compressor/Envelope Filter/, Way Huge Pork Loin

Post Thanks / Like

Default Black Top

I'm playing my BT strat thru my Egnater Tweaker head into my Epi So. Cal. four by twelve cab now; was plugged into my HRDX.

The sound thru the Tweaker with high gain is really nice. I haven't tried ultra high gain yet. I have not used any of the other settings other than to zone it in on a nice overdriven sound on the Marshall voice, hot, and modern.
    Duffy Bolduc
    South Williamsport, Pa.

Post Thanks / Like

This thread is useless........

Without pictures :-)
    Guitars: 2002 Les Paul Studio Limited Color's Edition | 2004 Greg Bennett Avion Les Paul Copy | S101 Telecaster project | 2004 Washburn D46 Acoustic

Amplification: Epiphone Valve Jr. Head and Cabinet | VOX AD30VT

Effects: Rocktron Delay | BBE Free Fuzz | Big Muff Pi | Boss Flanger | Bad Monkey | Jekyll and Hyde | Cry Baby Wah | Boss EQ | Behrenger TU300 Tuner |

Post Thanks / Like

The pictures will look real good, guaranteed.

I wish I was more adept at recording to the forum, I'd put up some sound clips.

I think it's a real good guitar for the price. Wouldn't you know today I got a fifteen per cent off letter from one of the online places. Oh well, this one came from a local store by me and they back up what they sell, plus I didn't have to pay tax, and, more importantly, I got to hand pick it and it meets my requirements real well.

That tele is another awesome guitar that I liked a lot, but I have a Fender FMT HH cherry burst with dual full sized SD HB's of high quality on it and it's a solid mahogany set neck tele.

Maybe today I'll take some pictures of it and my new Epi SG Faded.
    Duffy Bolduc
    South Williamsport, Pa.

North of the Equator: I am a Southerner, Southern Ontario!
    Post Thanks / Like

I finally got fed up with waiting for Fender to send me a reply about the pickups. So I sent an email telling them to forget it I would buy a Gibson.
    Lo and behold I get an email saying sorry my first email got put into spam.
    So I asked the question again and I will see what happens.
    If you mention the competition, it usually gets a rise out of them.
    The Blues is alright!

Guitars: 1968 Gibson SG, 2005 Gibson SG Standard, 2006 Gibson LP Classic Gold top, 2004 Epiphone Elitist LP Custom, 1996 Gibson Les Paul Standard. 2001 Epiphone Sheraton II, 2007 Epiphone G400.
    Fender Strats: 1996 Fender 68 Reissue CIJ, 2008 Squier CV 50s, 2009 Squier CV 50s Tele Butterescotch Blonde

Amps: Blues Junior Special edition Jensen in Brown Tolex with Wheat front, 65 Deluxe Reverb reissue,1970 Sonax reverb by Traynor, Avatar Custom 2/12 Cabinet with Eminence Legend V1216 speakers,
    2008 DSL100 Marshall Amp , Fender Super Champ XD,Fender Vibro Champ XD

Effects and Pedals: Fulltone Fulldrive II, Fulltone OCD, Fulltone Mini Deja Vibe, Fulltone Fat Boost, Dunlop Crybaby Wah, Boss DS1, Boss DD20 Giga Delay, Boss TU2 tuner, Boss BD2, Ibanez TS9 Tube screamer, Zoom 505. Radial tonebone hot british.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Pups

Pitiful. Pitiful you have to go to such extents to get anything, even a simple answer, out of them.

I just got off the phone with them about a Fender Lace Sensor chrome plated brass covered tele noiseless pickup NOS I just bought. The guy didn't even ask me for a serial number or part number on the pickups or anything - just said they made a bunch of different Fender Lace Sensor tele covered neck pickups.

I asked him if it would work well in combination with the new Fender Vintage Noiseless tele bridge pickup I just ordered and he said yes it should work real well. Nothing quantitative or any specs or anything.

Anyway I am fed up with the "traditional" sound of my new '09 MIM standard tele's noise and I decided to do something, anything, about it, today. I went down to get the noiseless bridge pup and it turned out to be used and the coil wires were badly shredded and hanging like a tuft of hair out of the bobbin. Definitely a multi-shorted out bridge pickup, disqualified.

So I look at two of the same Fender Lace Sensor NOS neck noiseless pickups and pick out the best looking one, for 25 dollars. I figure I can use it on one of my Squier tele's if I don't like it in the long run.

So, it turns out that I know absolutely nothing about the Fender Lace Sensor tele neck noiseless dual field pickup. They gave me the wiring diagram which is very simple. I'm going to install it in my new MIM standard tele in the immediate future, blending into the present.

Do you know anything about the Fender Lace Sensor tele pickups? What did they put them in?

I'm glad I got it. After I solder it in I am hoping to get at least some neck position relief from the intruding noise that the "hot" ceramic tele stock pickups develop. Should be fun to see how it sounds. Maybe then, with a way to jump out of all the noise, I will actually be able to enjoy the noise of the beautiful sounding bridge stock pickup - soon to be replaced with the Fender Vintage Noiseless bridge pickup and then the matching neck one next month.

Call me "modern", but I'm not going to sit by sheepishly and acquiesse to the intrusive noise of the "traditional" sounding pickups on my tele. Great guitar but the noise HAS to go.

Can't wait to play it without all the noise and listen to this Fender Lace Sensor neck pickup. If it sounds great I'll keep it, but it will give me a look at what it's going to sound like quiet.

So until I get that rigged up I'm playing my Squier Deluxe strat with some new pure nickel strings on it - it sounds very noticeably more deep and full and mellow with less overall output with these strings, but it is a great sound. All the switch positions are sounding great thru my HRDX. I'm also playing the new Blacktop black maple board strat with some newly installed D'darrio nines on it thru my Tweaker and Blackheart heads. It's all set up right here next to my bed, along with my laptop. I bet I could use the built in laptop video camera to record me playing some compositions on some of my guitars. The ambience of the amplifiers being all around the laptop might produce some decent recordable sound to accompany the video.

Can I attach this type of video file to thefret.net?

I will also be interested to know who makes the pickups for the blacktops, if they will divulge that info or play stupid or even say they make them themselves. One thing is certain: they sound really great on my BT strat.
    Duffy Bolduc
    South Williamsport, Pa.

Post Thanks / Like

Just get a YouTube account, Duffy. Then you can embed the vid in the usual way.
    Electric: Fat strat > Korg PB > TS7 > DS1 > DD-20 > Cube 60 (Fender model)

Acoustic: Guitar > microphone > audience

Post Thanks / Like

I have a youtube account but don't have any idea how to save the video to it, but if I did save it I could drop it into thefret.net from there.
    Duffy Bolduc
    South Williamsport, Pa.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast