Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Anyone use pure nickel strings?

Thread: Anyone use pure nickel strings?

W. Branch of Susquehanna River, Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Anyone use pure nickel strings?

I'm thinking of trying some pure nickel strings. Have any of you used them or are you currently using them, and if so what brand?

What are the advantages disadvantages of pure nickel strings and why don't many people use them?
    Duffy Bolduc
    South Williamsport, Pa.

"Now all the things that use to mean so much to me has got me old before my time." G. Allman, "Old Before My Time", Hittin' the Note.

Major changes to guitars and amps, to be updated soon.

Fiance - Supportive of musical art

North of the Equator: I am a Southerner, Southern Ontario!
    Post Thanks / Like

I use only D'Addario Strings. They have many sets of regualr strings and only a couple of sets of pure nickel. Here is what they have to say about them.

"D'Addario XL Pure Nickel strings look back to the '50s, when nickel was the primary alloy found in electric guitar strings. Into the '60s, these pure nickel strings would be supplanted when guitarists required brighter tone and enhanced magnetic properties/characteristic of the D'Addario XL nickelplated steel string line, Pure Nickel delivers classic, warmer timbres that define many genres including blues, classic rock, rockabilly, and more."

D'Addario does not have much of a selection in sizes for the pure nickel so I think a lot of guys don't bother with them. I think the gauge of the strings would make more of a difference than the construction of the strings.
    The Blues is alright!

Guitars: 1968 Gibson SG, 2005 Gibson SG Standard, 2006 Gibson LP Classic Gold top, 2004 Epiphone Elitist LP Custom, 1996 Gibson Les Paul Standard. 2001 Epiphone Sheraton II, 2007 Epiphone G400.
    Fender Strats: 1996 Fender 68 Reissue CIJ, 2008 Squier CV 50s, 2009 Squier CV 50s Tele Butterescotch Blonde

Amps: Blues Junior Special edition Jensen in Brown Tolex with Wheat front, 65 Deluxe Reverb reissue,1970 Sonax reverb by Traynor, Avatar Custom 2/12 Cabinet with Eminence Legend V1216 speakers,
    2008 DSL100 Marshall Amp , Fender Super Champ XD,Fender Vibro Champ XD

Effects and Pedals: Fulltone Fulldrive II, Fulltone OCD, Fulltone Mini Deja Vibe, Fulltone Fat Boost, Dunlop Crybaby Wah, Boss DS1, Boss DD20 Giga Delay, Boss TU2 tuner, Boss BD2, Ibanez TS9 Tube screamer, Zoom 505. Radial tonebone hot british.

Post Thanks / Like

I use them. To me they sound a lot darker and thicker. I like it sometimes as long as I don't want to match anyone's tone in a lot of the music I play.

EDIT: I use .12s.

Post Thanks / Like

Supposedly you can get a set of pure nickel strings two gauges higher and they will bend like strings two guages lower: like twelves will bend as easily as tens. This, supposedly, is because the pure nickel strings are more elastic and also stay in tune better and last much longer.

Because they are pure nickel they are supposed to interact with the magnetic field differently than the nickel wound steel ones, whether our ears can perceive it or not I don't know, but supposedly it is perceptible.

It has also been suggested that the major string mfg companies switched to nickel plated after nickel became way more expensive during the sixties. There are two groups within the industry with explanations for the switch from pure nickel strings to nickel plated steel. One group revolves around the cost of nickel profit margin idea, and the other group revolves around the idea that players demanded a higher output, brighter string.

In any case, most companies offer pure nickel strings but don't advertize them in the magazines, etc.

I am just wondering if anybody uses pure nickel strings anymore and their opinion of them.
    Duffy Bolduc
    South Williamsport, Pa.

"Now all the things that use to mean so much to me has got me old before my time." G. Allman, "Old Before My Time", Hittin' the Note.

Post Thanks / Like

Nickel is all I use, Gibson and Fender brands. I have tried all sorts of strings from lots of different manufacturers over the years, nickel for as long as I can remember.
    Would I notice if I picked up a guitar with steel? I don't know
    Remember, it's only the wrap on the wound strings we're talking about.

Post Thanks / Like

I used pure nickels for a while. They were more expensive. I went back to nickel plated. I think the pure Ni were a bit warmer.
    Now can anyone tell me why Martin plate their "SP" plain acoustic strings with bronze which just wears off in the first couple of days giving you black fingertips?
    Electric: Fat strat > Korg PB > TS7 > DS1 > DD-20 > Cube 60 (Fender model)

Acoustic: Guitar > microphone > audience

Post Thanks / Like

I have a set of GHS Eric Johnson Blues Nickel strings.10's just waiting for the Daa'dario set to wear out on my Fender Semi seen in avatar,bullets waiting on the fat strat.have not really looked their alloy yet.

Post Thanks / Like

I use .10 gauge pure nickel strings on all of my electrics. I like the tone and feel: darker than nickel-wound steel and comfortable on the fingers. I've tried both Gibson and D'addario, and both perform just fine. They're definitely worth a try, especially if you play blues or classic rock. It all depends on the type of music you play and what sounds and feels good to you.
    GUITARS: Martin DC16-RGTE dreadnaught, Guild G-37 dreadnaught, Takamine F400-12, Fender 60's Strat, Fender Japan Tele, Guild Aviator w/Kahler trem & EMG active p/u's, Washburn HB-30 (awaiting p/u upgrade), Ibanez Roadstar II bass, cheap classical, Kay dreadnaught for beach.

AMPLIFICATION: Fender Blues Junior, Roland Jazz Chorus 60, Hartke B30 bass amp.

EFFECTS: Ibanez Tube Screamer TS9-DX w/Keeley modification, Zoom G2 multi-effects processor, Morley PWA wah/volume/distortion.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by markb View Post
    I used pure nickels for a while. They were more expensive. I went back to nickel plated. I think the pure Ni were a bit warmer.
    Now can anyone tell me why Martin plate their "SP" plain acoustic strings with bronze which just wears off in the first couple of days giving you black fingertips?
    I was wondering about those black fingertips myself... and I have noted the worn-off bronze. Can any strings turn fingers black? It's oxidation I suppose. Maybe body chemistry has something to do wit, too.
    "GAS never sleeps" - Gil Janus

"Now you got to pay your dues. Get that axe and play the blues." - Spudman

Gear: Epiphone Sheraton II, Epiphone Wildkat, Epiphone Emperor Joe Pass, Fender MIM Strat, Tacoma DR-14, Johnson JR-200 resonator; Fender Super Champ XD amp

Post Thanks / Like

I just got a new set of Ernie Ball Slinky Pure Nickel strings, nines. I haven't decided yet which guitar I want to put them on. I just put a set of D'dario tens, regular steel/nickel plated ones on my sunburst fifties CV and it sounds beautiful and bright. I also put new strings on my cherry burst Squier standard strat with two point trem that had very dead old strings on it; I put new nines on it, regular type and it sounds nice and bright now.

I anticipate that whatever I put the pure nickels on will sound less bright. These nines will probably go on a guitar I do a lot of bending on, maybe a strat. I'm not sure yet. I'm moving to all tens on my LP type guitars and enjoy that tone.

I also have a set of eleven "chrome" flatwounds I will be putting on something.
    Duffy Bolduc
    South Williamsport, Pa.

Post Thanks / Like

We'll be waitin' to hear what you think ~

Post Thanks / Like

I use the GHS Big Core and absolutely love them.....

http://www.ghsstrings.com/strings/el...nickel-rockers
    LIVE AND LET ROCK!!