Thread: Advice on pairing speakers?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Advice on pairing speakers?

Questions for those who have tried various speaker pairiongs...

What Celestion (or similar British type speaker) would nicely compliment a “Heritage Series” 20 watt, G12M Greenback ?

The heritage (in an open back combo) is very smooth and mid-focused. Chords are lush, and lead lines have a pleasing top end. Notes seem to bloom without harshness or shrillness.

I’m looking to add a 112 open back cab to add some fullness to this sweet little 15watt setup. With an efficiency/sensitivity of 96 dB, the Heritage is not a very loud speaker.

I was thinking of a “standard” Greenback (25w, 98 dB)…
    Or a WGS “Reaper” (30w, 99 dB) which is supposed to be based on Celestion’s G12H 70th Anniversary.

Any thoughts…suggestions…advice?

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I've got 2 G12M Greenbacks from 1976 and they sound just as you describe, not a lot of low end or highs, kinda middy but in a pleasing way.

I tried several speakers with them, V30, some Jensens, some others, and then I got these Celestion G12L speakers that are 30W...I don't know the exact model but they are made for some Ampegs, have Celestion/Ampeg logos and are very small magnet. I really dig the way those pairs work together, I get a rich focused low end that is so big I seem so sometimes shadow our bassist when I do some chunca chunca on low strings - but the frequencies aren't bass-low anyway. They also have a completely different high end response which makes the cab sound like there is a superb reverb actually, very 'stereo' somehow. I just got back from the training and once again I was so glad about the sound, it's simply just right.

But, I don't know...Celestion doesn't seem to have anything looking like that on their webpage.

These seem a lot like mine:

http://www.google.fi/imgres?imgurl=h...26tbs%3Disch:1
    Dee

"When life's a biatch, be a horny dog"

Amps: Marshall JVM 410H w/ Plexi Cap mod, Choke Mod & Negative Feedback Removal mod, 4x12", Behringer GMX110, Amplitube 3/StealthPedal

Half a dozen custom built/bastardized guitars all with EMG's, mostly 85's, Ibanez Artwood acoustic & Yamaha SGR bass, Epiphone Prophecy SG, Vox Wah, Pitchblack tuner plus assorted pedals, rack gear etc. for home studio use.