Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Reverb problem
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reverb problem

Post Thanks / Like

Default Reverb problem

I think I finally isolated my amp's noise problem to the reverb. As you may recall, I was having trouble with my Hughes & Kettner Edition Tube breaking up on the clean channel. I thought it was tube trouble, but the breakup wasn't a nice and smooth tube one. It's pretty harsh and nasty.

I don't why I didn't do this earlier, but today I turned the reverb down all the way and lo and behold it held a nice clean tone up to a decent volume. I turned the reverb up and got the nastiness.

I sprayed the contacts to the spring reverb with cleaner, but that didn't do the trick.

Anything else I should try?

Post Thanks / Like

Shake the living $h*t out of it? Oh wait, use a m0th3rf*cking hammer. Just ask Brian!
    -Sean
    Guitars: Lots.
    Amphs: More than last year.
    Pedals: Many, although I go straight from guitar to amp more often lately.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not familiar with that amp but with the Fender style and Allen amps I use, a bad tube could cause those symptoms.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FrankenFretter
    Shake the living $h*t out of it? Oh wait, use a m0th3rf*cking hammer. Just ask Brian!
    If your interested that is Snap-On tool #BFH.Sumi
    Guitars,Warmoth Tele,90's Fender Strat Plus/Fender CV 50's Tele/Parker p-36/Fretlight/Custom Strat(Fender body/warmoth Clapton neck,tonerider pups)Larrivee L03 mahogany acoustic

Amphs/66 Super Reverb/60's Bandmaster head and 2/12 cab/Blues jr//epi valve jr/supro super/ ZT lunchbox/Mahaffay Little Laneilei 3350/Pignose g40v

Pedals/Voods Rodent/MXR carbon copy/Duncan Pickup booster/Ts9/Rat/ts10/Line 6 tone port uk2
    Line 6 M13

Post Thanks / Like

Is it the Tube 20? If so you can find the schematic here:

http://www.schematicx.com/schematic/...-20-schematic/

The reverb is opamp-driven, so no tubes to deal with. It could be a lot of things, so I'll insert my stock advice here: you probably need to take it to a tech, unless you are skilled at repairing pcb-based solid state circuits.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FrankenFretter
    The legend of the MFH is born!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

It's hammer time!

Guitar: Gibson SG Standard Natural Burst, Squier CV 50's Tele, Hell Guitars No. 2, Squier CV 50's Strat, Reverend Club King 290, Taylor 522e 12-Fret mahogany,
    Squier Vintage Modified Jaguar Bass Short Scale
    Amp: Fender Super Champ X2 Head, Egnater Tweaker 15, Fender Mustang I, Acoustic B20 1x12 bass amp
    Pedal: Budda Budwah wah, Wampler Ego Compressor, Electro-Harmonix Soul Food, Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive, Wampler Velvet Fuzz, Seven Sisters Eve Tremolo, TC Electronics Gravy Tri Chorus & Vibrato, Catalinbread Echorec, TC Electronic Alter Ego 2 Delay, Hardwire Supernatural Ambient Verb, MXR Carbon Copy, Catalinbread RAH, Big Muff Pi with Tone Wicker, BYOC Mouse 2.0 Distortion, BYOC Boost/OD-2

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by otaypanky

Post Thanks / Like

are spring reverb amphs a thing of the past? even my practice amph has one.
    Hughes & Kettner have been around awhile.do they only do Tube verb now?
    Life is like a camera, just focus on what’s important and capture the good times, develop from the negatives and if things don’t work out, just take another shot. ~ Anonymous

Guitars: 1967(year they came out): Fender Coronado II Wildwood I ,Fullerton ST- 4 Fat Strat , Esteban Legacy acous/elec,99 MIA Standard Fender Strat
    Amph's Original Roland Cube 15,Drive 30 w/spring reverb

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by player
    are spring reverb amphs a thing of the past? even my practice amph has one.
    Hughes & Kettner have been around awhile.do they only do Tube verb now?
    It's a tube amp with transformer driven spring reverb.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NWBasser
    It's a tube amp with transformer driven spring reverb.
    I would have to say out of the last dozen or so Tube amps I've owned I have not seen a transformer driven reverb unit they were all independent of the amp electronics(at least to the naked eye) and all spring too.come to think of it adjustable spring at that.Marshall,Fender,Orange and a Vox extemely adjustable.others I had to take time out to do it if it needed it or I wanted to.always been decent at modding or fixing em if needed.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by player
    I would have to say out of the last dozen or so Tube amps I've owned I have not seen a transformer driven reverb unit they were all independent of the amp electronics(at least to the naked eye) and all spring too.come to think of it adjustable spring at that.Marshall,Fender,Orange and a Vox extemely adjustable.others I had to take time out to do it if it needed it or I wanted to.always been decent at modding or fixing em if needed.
    Adjustable?

Can you change the spring tension or something like that?

Post Thanks / Like

This is a combo amp from what I see on the web so you could remove the reverb tank from the amp to see if it is an acoustic feedback problem. Just put the tank on the floor, stack of books or something high enough so there is slack in the RCA cable. You may want to try another RCA cable and make sure it is not pickup from how the cable is routed in the cabinet. Instead of removing the reverb tank if possible you can use the amp as a head and play through a cabinet to help isolate the reverb tank from vibration as a test. I would need to see a schematic to have any other ideas on a solution aside from trying another tube for the reverb driver and or the reverb recovery amplifier.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks much for the suggestions Jim. Unfortunately it doesn't have RCA connections for the reverb. It does seem that the reverb would be very susceptible to speaker vibrations since it's close to the driver.

AFAIK it's not a tube-driven reverb. The exposed location of the springs to the speaker suggests a bit of poor design. That may expain why it gets worse with volume, i.e. more speaker movement = greater interference. Methinks a reverb tank would have been a better option to isolate the springs from the driver.

I may chuck it and go with an outboard unit.

Post Thanks / Like

A couple of questions is the reverb OK up to a point as you increase the volume? Also did you try playing through a cabinet connected to the head section of the amp? If you do not have a cabinet if you removed the head from the cabinet and then connected the speaker that maybe enough isolation to give you an idea if acoustic feedback is the problem. Is the amp the same as in the schematic linked above? If it is then there maybe some component value changes that would have an effect depending on what the problem maybe.

Post Thanks / Like

I had that amph and cranked it at gigs. I never had a reverb problem with it. Isn't that circuit tube driven? Could it be a funky tube? I did have tube issues with mine that were really annoying.

If it worked before without the reverb issue, and then as time went on you started to notice the problem, then that might suggest a component that could change over time, like a tube.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    I had that amph and cranked it at gigs. I never had a reverb problem with it. Isn't that circuit tube driven? Could it be a funky tube? I did have tube issues with mine that were really annoying.

If it worked before without the reverb issue, and then as time went on you started to notice the problem, then that might suggest a component that could change over time, like a tube.
    Spud, the amp is new to me so I wouldn't know how long this has gone on or how it started. I put new JJ tubes in it after I got it. It has 2 12ax7 preamp tubes and 2 EL84 power tubes. I'm not sure how the those tubes would be used in the reverb circuit.

What tube issues did you have with yours?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tunghaichuan
    Is it the Tube 20? If so you can find the schematic here:

http://www.schematicx.com/schematic/...-20-schematic/

The reverb is opamp-driven, so no tubes to deal with. It could be a lot of things, so I'll insert my stock advice here: you probably need to take it to a tech, unless you are skilled at repairing pcb-based solid state circuits.
    At first blush, that looks to be the right schematic, but it depicts 4 of the EL 84s and mine only has 2. I also see what appears to be RCAs going to the reverb and in my amp there are no RCA connectors.

I'll check that site a bit to see if I can find the right schematic.

Thanks much.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast