Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Record = Fail

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by marnold
    My point being (and sorry to hijack your thread, NWB), is that getting a Zoom-type-thing would probably be easier. Then I can just pop the memory card into my computer and hack away at it from there. No interface issues at all, although it's no SM57.
    Fair point. I have a Zoom H2 that works pretty well. They can be had for around $100 I think. The one Dee has (R16 IIRC) is a bit more, but that's kind of a mini-mixer too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    Does anyone read the original post?
    Guitars: Gibson LP Studio, MIA Fender Precision, Carvin C350
    Amps: Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 + Avatar B212 / Genzler 12-3, Acoustic B20
    Pedals: Pod HD500X, Diamond Compressor, Tech 21 VT Bass, Sonic Research Turbo Tuner

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the advice guys. The D4 has a built-in condenser mic that I often use for guitar, or sometimes my EV vocal mic for better results. For bass I run a post EQ signal from my Shuttle DI. The D4 has a card and USB to go to computer. It would be much easier to do editing functions on the computer though, I'd guess.

It looks like the best bet is to let the machine run and then try to figure out the editing functions to get rid of the crap parts.

Then again, might settle the nerves enough to get a good take!

Post Thanks / Like

was looking at something like this:http://www.gadgettown.com/2GB-Round-...P3-Silver.html only 8 gig For recording.how it read was click like a pen it records.I wonder if this is true I could record myself too when those recordable moments happen and they do.the one I looked at was from tigerdirect.com(around $40 - 30 something plus tax) who may have this gadgettown as a client.And it is a USB to put into a computer.
    the way I see this:http://cgi.ebay.com/Mini-4GB-USB-Spy...item2c580b03b7if it can record your voice with video it can or should dang sure record anyone playing their music(guitar)
    Last edited by player; November 6th, 2010 at 11:28 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sunvalleylaw
    That is a good idea. My only problem is that when I record, I have to set up some things on my computer and hook up my mic, since I usually record my equipment rather than going directly in. I should either start recording directly in, or make hooking things up easier so I can just keep things ready. Also, I need to get my looper back in my standard pedal train and start looping.

I tend to tighten up when I record too, and an idea I just came up with lacks a little something or just is not there, when I decide to record. As you guys have heard, I end up just recording an posting anyway, as I figure most people fight this, and i have to start somewhere.
    Yeah Steve, this is what I run into as well. If I'm playing guitar, the recorder is plugged into the bass amp and if I'm on bass it's in front of the guitar amp. Keeping things "ready to go" is not always so convenient. I also have to adjust the levels, mic placement, etc. so that by the time the machine is ready to go, the musical idea is lost.

I like the idea of an H2, but I wonder if it has multi-track capability so that I can add bass later (or add guitar later).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NWBasser
    I like the idea of an H2, but I wonder if it has multi-track capability so that I can add bass later (or add guitar later).
    It does not do multi-tracking. There are workarounds, like you could copy the recording to your computer, play it back while wearing headphones, and play along to the track with your bass, recording that with the H2. After you have that recorded, add it to the mix as another track in the DAW and adjust as needed.

Not sure if I'm being clear, but hopefully you get the idea.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    Does anyone read the original post?
    Guitars: Gibson LP Studio, MIA Fender Precision, Carvin C350
    Amps: Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 + Avatar B212 / Genzler 12-3, Acoustic B20
    Pedals: Pod HD500X, Diamond Compressor, Tech 21 VT Bass, Sonic Research Turbo Tuner

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NWBasser
    Yeah Steve, this is what I run into as well. If I'm playing guitar, the recorder is plugged into the bass amp and if I'm on bass it's in front of the guitar amp. Keeping things "ready to go" is not always so convenient. I also have to adjust the levels, mic placement, etc. so that by the time the machine is ready to go, the musical idea is lost.

Some pro sound guys are using units like the H2 and then they will dump whatever they recorded on it into a computer based DAW program and can edit till they are happy.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12