Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Jammin' with FrankenFretter Today !

Post Thanks / Like

Your story sounds very familiar.

This (lack of common ground when playing together) is something I've experienced over and over and over again. I always feel like I'll be able to find something that everyone knows, and I keep being proved wrong. It always comes down to just finding some songs that everyone likes and learning them from the ground up.

Kind of frustrating, but so it goes. My point is that you're not alone in having trouble finding material to play together. It's good that you could at least meet up to talk.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    Does anyone read the original post?
    Guitars: Gibson LP Studio, MIA Fender Precision, Carvin C350
    Amps: Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 + Avatar B212 / Genzler 12-3, Acoustic B20
    Pedals: Pod HD500X, Diamond Compressor, Tech 21 VT Bass, Sonic Research Turbo Tuner

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FrankenFretter
    I really need to learn to loosen up when playing with others. I think I get so self-conscious it kills my playing.

We'll find some common ground, Heywood. I like a lot of different music, and there's bound to be a few that we both like. Next time we'll be better prepared. And next time, I'll bring the beer!

It was great to hang out with Heywood and BS about guitars and gear, even if we didn't do that much actual jamming. Heywood is a great guy, and he's got a lot more playing talent than I do, but I think we'll still have more fun next time. His Dot and Strat are both nice guitars, and those flatwounds on the Dot are pretty cool. I can't wait to put some flats on my Flamekat!

Thanks again, Heywood. Bear with me, I can only get better! ;-)
    Sean, ALL of us can only get better. Dave (my regular jam buddy) and I are often in near-hysterics when a song or a lead we're playing devolves into a musical trainwreck. It's all fun. Thanks, again - it's great having a new friend with different interests to broaden my horizons.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Heywood Jablomie
    Sean, ALL of us can only get better. Dave (my regular jam buddy) and I are often in near-hysterics when a song or a lead we're playing devolves into a musical trainwreck. It's all fun. Thanks, again - it's great having a new friend with different interests to broaden my horizons.
    Heh heh, that reminds me of when our band plays our version of Freebird. During the end jam part, the guitarist and I try to "out solo" each other with me playing these outlandishly fast and flashy bass leads and him going completely overboard until we're both laughing so hard that we can't play at all! Listening to the recording is pretty funny to hear everything go completely over the top.

However, the drummer thinks it sounds cool...

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

That was cool that you guys got to meet up! Great to hear.
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12