Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Robin Trower
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Robin Trower

Post Thanks / Like

Default Robin Trower

ROBIN TROWER seems to never get the credit or acknowledgment he so justly deserves.

This just one of his many great songs.
    Do you have a favorite TROWER song?

Maxi...................

Bootsy Collins:
    I pledge allegiance to the funk, the whole funk, and nothing but the funk, so help me James, Sly and George, Amen!!

Guitars: 2010 American Special HSS Strat, 2010 CIC Squire CV ThinLine Tele, & 2006 MIM FSR Strat.

Basses: 1979 Peavey T-40, 2007 Ibanez SR 500, 2013 Ibanez SR375F, 2013 CIJ Fender Geddy Lee Jazz Bass, 2014 Sadowsky Will Lee VI, & 2014 Sadowsky Will Lee Metro V

Amps: Mesa Boogie BASS STRATEGY:Eight:88, Aguliar DB 4X12, Augilar DB 751, Genz Benz CTR500-210T/Focus 1X15 CAB, Fender Hot Rod Deville 410, VHT Deliverance 60/VHT 2X12 fat Bottom Cab, & VOX DA20

Effects: Boss ME-25, MXR Custom Baddass 78, MXR Custom Baddass modified O.D., Vox Joe Satriani Satchurator, MXR Phase 90, MXR Bass Chorus Deluxe/Octave Deluxe/Bass Compressor/Envelope Filter/, Way Huge Pork Loin

Post Thanks / Like

He comes every year to a club in my little village (same place Johnny Winter comes every year, and lots of others). So I'll see him again this February. Bonnamassa's coming this month, too. I'm a lucky guy.
    "Always go heavy on the effects and try to blind the audience with expensive gear." - hubberjub

I mean, no offense, but I don't really see why, like guitar players from Creed, or something like that, are on the cover of guitar magazines. Almost anybody can sit down and learn to play those songs.
    Dweezil Zappa

North of the Equator: I am a Southerner, Southern Ontario!
    Post Thanks / Like

I have always maintained that Bridge of Sighs is one of the top Rock albums of all time.
    I recently discovered him as a blues Artist. Another days Blues is an amazing album.
    Zip: Please stop it you are killing me.
    Robin is the reason I have so many Fulltone pedals. LOL
    And of course a BFM. (Big Fargen Marshall)
    The Blues is alright!

Guitars: 1968 Gibson SG, 2005 Gibson SG Standard, 2006 Gibson LP Classic Gold top, 2004 Epiphone Elitist LP Custom, 1996 Gibson Les Paul Standard. 2001 Epiphone Sheraton II, 2007 Epiphone G400.
    Fender Strats: 1996 Fender 68 Reissue CIJ, 2008 Squier CV 50s, 2009 Squier CV 50s Tele Butterescotch Blonde

Amps: Blues Junior Special edition Jensen in Brown Tolex with Wheat front, 65 Deluxe Reverb reissue,1970 Sonax reverb by Traynor, Avatar Custom 2/12 Cabinet with Eminence Legend V1216 speakers,
    2008 DSL100 Marshall Amp , Fender Super Champ XD,Fender Vibro Champ XD

Effects and Pedals: Fulltone Fulldrive II, Fulltone OCD, Fulltone Mini Deja Vibe, Fulltone Fat Boost, Dunlop Crybaby Wah, Boss DS1, Boss DD20 Giga Delay, Boss TU2 tuner, Boss BD2, Ibanez TS9 Tube screamer, Zoom 505. Radial tonebone hot british.

Post Thanks / Like

Natch:
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like

I saw him live a couple of times back in the late '80s when I was in college. The first time I got to see him live for free. One of my friends was a journalism student and got free tickets so that she could see and review the show. I believe it was to support his In the Line of Fire album.

The main thing I remember was that he was ungodly loud. The venue was fairly small and he had four 100W Marshall stacks. My ears rang a couple of days after that show.

Great player, and great live.

Post Thanks / Like

I really dig his playing and his songwriting. His sound is awesome, as is his playing, and yes he's the perfect Fulltone user. Mike can be proud of such an endorser.

My favourite song is "Day Of The Eagle".
    "A lot of people in the industry want to blame downloading for the state of the business. But I think if most music wasn't shit to begin with people wouldn't be downloading it for free," - Corey Taylor (Slipknot)

Post Thanks / Like

I've been greatly influenced by Robin. I about wore this album out while I was out on the road.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

To be brutally honest, I think part of the reason he doesn't get much credit is because of how he looks. I've heard a few stories about people never taking off musically because of their looks (either butter face or weight).

Seeing pictures of Trower in his younger years, I have to wonder if this was something that factored in.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    Does anyone read the original post?
    Guitars: Gibson LP Studio, MIA Fender Precision, Carvin C350
    Amps: Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 + Avatar B212 / Genzler 12-3, Acoustic B20
    Pedals: Pod HD500X, Diamond Compressor, Tech 21 VT Bass, Sonic Research Turbo Tuner

North of the Equator: I am a Southerner, Southern Ontario!
    Post Thanks / Like

The one thing I can't get over with him is that if you hear him in a live, situation say on a DVD, and he plays one of his songs, it sound exactly note for note the way he played it on the mixed record version. It is really amazing.
    The Blues is alright!

Guitars: 1968 Gibson SG, 2005 Gibson SG Standard, 2006 Gibson LP Classic Gold top, 2004 Epiphone Elitist LP Custom, 1996 Gibson Les Paul Standard. 2001 Epiphone Sheraton II, 2007 Epiphone G400.
    Fender Strats: 1996 Fender 68 Reissue CIJ, 2008 Squier CV 50s, 2009 Squier CV 50s Tele Butterescotch Blonde

Amps: Blues Junior Special edition Jensen in Brown Tolex with Wheat front, 65 Deluxe Reverb reissue,1970 Sonax reverb by Traynor, Avatar Custom 2/12 Cabinet with Eminence Legend V1216 speakers,
    2008 DSL100 Marshall Amp , Fender Super Champ XD,Fender Vibro Champ XD

Effects and Pedals: Fulltone Fulldrive II, Fulltone OCD, Fulltone Mini Deja Vibe, Fulltone Fat Boost, Dunlop Crybaby Wah, Boss DS1, Boss DD20 Giga Delay, Boss TU2 tuner, Boss BD2, Ibanez TS9 Tube screamer, Zoom 505. Radial tonebone hot british.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for that MAXIFUNK I love that song & I just went & dug my old vinyl copy out & let it rip.
    Cheers.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eric
    To be brutally honest, I think part of the reason he doesn't get much credit is because of how he looks.
    Ever seen Slash close up?

Case closed.
    "Always go heavy on the effects and try to blind the audience with expensive gear." - hubberjub

I mean, no offense, but I don't really see why, like guitar players from Creed, or something like that, are on the cover of guitar magazines. Almost anybody can sit down and learn to play those songs.
    Dweezil Zappa

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Zip
    Ever seen Slash close up?
    No, but now I'm curious; can you direct me to any good pictures? Thing about him though is that he at least has the good sense to hide it under a mop, sunglasses, and a big hat.
    Pedals: Pod HD500X, Diamond Compressor, Tech 21 VT Bass, Sonic Research Turbo Tuner

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eric
    To be brutally honest, I think part of the reason he doesn't get much credit is because of how he looks. I've heard a few stories about people never taking off musically because of their looks (either butter face or weight).

Seeing pictures of Trower in his younger years, I have to wonder if this was something that factored in.
    If this were the 80s-onward I'd say that might have something to do with it. In the 70s that wasn't as much of an issue (otherwise it's hard to explain the careers of, say, Tom Petty and Keith Richards). Video did, in fact, kill the radio star (see Cross, Christopher). I would think a good chunk of it is that a) he never set out to be commercial, and b) too many people considered him to be just a Hendrix rip-off artist.
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by marnold
    If this were the 80s-onward I'd say that might have something to do with it. In the 70s that wasn't as much of an issue (otherwise it's hard to explain the careers of, say, Tom Petty and Keith Richards). Video did, in fact, kill the radio star (see Cross, Christopher). I would think a good chunk of it is that a) he never set out to be commercial, and b) too many people considered him to be just a Hendrix rip-off artist.
    Interesting points. I'll buy that explanation.

Post Thanks / Like

This one's my favorite - slow and moody!

Thanks, Maxifunk, for reminding me of an artist that I don't listen to enough.
    Guitars:
    Fender 2006 MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS in 3TS
    Ibanez RG 570 with a bridge Invader
    ESP M II Deluxe with a Tune-o-Matic bridge
    Eleanor, the magical, mystical Road Worn wonder Tele
    Blackstar HT Club 40

Post Thanks / Like

OK, Eric - which one is Slash, and which one is your Aunt Theresa from Brooklyn?

Dweezil Zappa

Post Thanks / Like

If this were the 80s-onward I'd say that might have something to do with it. In the 70s that wasn't as much of an issue (otherwise it's hard to explain the careers of, say, Tom Petty and Keith Richards).
    I'd say it's big part, the first thing I thot when I first saw his pic was 'boy, he's got an uphill battle'. But once the music plays, you know he's sincere, and that's what matters.

Keef had Mick (who wasn't much himself...), and went for bad boy reputation over looks, and Petty looked OK when he first hit big. If starting off in today's market, both would have different careers.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by msteeln
    Keef had Mick (who wasn't much himself...), and went for bad boy reputation over looks, and Petty looked OK when he first hit big. If starting off in today's market, both would have different careers.
    I dunno. It's not all Taylor Swifts and Jonas Brothers out there these days. The band Fall Out Boy is/was pretty big in some emo-pop circles, and look at their lead singer:

I think it depends on how you go about marketing yourself, but as you say, some people do have 'an uphill battle.'

Post Thanks / Like

Natch:
    THIS is my favorite Trower song. I LOVE the Bridge of Sighs album. I've got it on CD and listen to it all the time. Too Rolling Stoned and Bridge of Sighs are really good songs too.
    Ronnie

Guitars: Washburn WI64DL Idol, Yamaha Pacifica 112, Yamaha EG112C, Washburn House of Blues Electric, Washburn G30 Acoustic

Amps: Crate GX1200H Head, Crate 4x12 Cabinet, Crate GLX65 12" Combo, Johnson 15 watt, Fender Frontman 25R

Pedals: Cry Baby Wah, DOD FX20-B Stereo Phaser, Danelectro Cool Cat Transparent Overdrive, Daneletro CM2 Metal II, Danelectro FAB Chorus, Danelectro FAB Flange

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast