Thread: Les Paul Junior

Post Thanks / Like

Default Les Paul Junior

While this is a Les Paul thread I figured that the Junior would fit here nicely.

This past summer I took my oldest teenage daughter to see Green Day at the Journal Pavillion here in town. They rocked. Good band with strong songs and a good sound overall. Reminded me of my youngster rock and roller days even though their music is borderline "punk". I liked them a lot and they've become hugely popular. Anyway Billy Joe Armstrong mostly played Les Paul Juniors although he did play his Fernandez Strat and another Gibson guitar similar to a 335. I've always been a big fan of the dog eared P-90 pickups. I've been thinking of trying to get a Les Paul Junior for my daughter who has decided that she wants to start "a band". Has any one here played one? I could let her borrow one of my guitars but it gives me the chance to justify buying a cool little guitar like that! (well for her use of course... )
    Guitars/Bass - MIM Fender Classic 50s Strat, MIM Fender Standard Strat, Squier Classic Vibe 50s Tele, Gibson Les Paul Studio, Epi '56 Gold Top Les Paul, Martin DSR acoustic, Sigma Martin Auditorium electric/acoustic, Squier Jazz Bass.

Amps/Cabinets/Modelers - Model 2558 50 watt Marshall Silver Anniversary Jubilee combo w/ Celestion Vintage 30s, 4x12 Marshall cabinet w/25 watt Greenback Celestions, Fender Blues Junior w/ a couple of Billm mods, Line 6 POD 2.0, Roland Micro Cube

Pedals/Effects - Cry Baby Classic Wah, Boss TU-2, Boss NS-2, Boss RC-2 Loop Station, Ross Compressor, MXR Micro Amp, Danelectro FAB Echo, Danelectro FAB Chorus, Danelectro Chicken Salad, Marshall Guv'nor Plus, Marshall Echohead, Duhvoodooman's Zonkin' Yellow Screamer, Digitech Digiverb, Digitech Bad Monkey, Dunlop Fuzz Face, Homemade Loop Bypass pedal, Duhvoodooman's Sonic Tonic (Maxon SD-9 clone +), Voodoo Labs Superfuzz

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Tone - I don't know why I didn't think of this earlier, but if your daughter (or maybe someone else?!!) is still in the market for a P-90-equipped guitar, Hamer makes a very nice double-cutaway styled P-90 for around $300! As you know, I have a Hamer double-cutaway (with HB's) and it's a honey of a player. Body is smaller (perfect for a young lady); the neck is very easy to play. Cosmetics are nice, too - they come in a gold-top, or a quilted / flamed maple sunburst finish. I've seen a P-90 goldtop model going for less than $250 on Ebay - and that's a pretty decent buy for a really solid guitar. I would defininitely recommend putting some different tuners on it, though (the ones that came stock on my guitar were complete garbage. It now has Grovers.)

Epiphone does make a budget model of the LP Jr., but from what I've read they're very sketchy as far as quality and tone go. Real Juniors fetch around $600, and while they're nice, it might be more that you're willing to spend for a starter rig. As your daughter gets better, move up to better gear. Who knows, maybe she's another Bonnie Raitt in the making!!

Post Thanks / Like

Dude, the Hamer "Special" is sweeeeeeeet. Look at the wood on that guitar!

http://www.hamerguitars.com/?fa=series&sid=432

Classic LP Junior body. Sexy Tortoise Shell pickguard. The ultimate in P-90 pickup. Yes something like that would be very nice.
    Guitars/Bass - MIM Fender Classic 50s Strat, MIM Fender Standard Strat, Squier Classic Vibe 50s Tele, Gibson Les Paul Studio, Epi '56 Gold Top Les Paul, Martin DSR acoustic, Sigma Martin Auditorium electric/acoustic, Squier Jazz Bass.

Amps/Cabinets/Modelers - Model 2558 50 watt Marshall Silver Anniversary Jubilee combo w/ Celestion Vintage 30s, 4x12 Marshall cabinet w/25 watt Greenback Celestions, Fender Blues Junior w/ a couple of Billm mods, Line 6 POD 2.0, Roland Micro Cube

Pedals/Effects - Cry Baby Classic Wah, Boss TU-2, Boss NS-2, Boss RC-2 Loop Station, Ross Compressor, MXR Micro Amp, Danelectro FAB Echo, Danelectro FAB Chorus, Danelectro Chicken Salad, Marshall Guv'nor Plus, Marshall Echohead, Duhvoodooman's Zonkin' Yellow Screamer, Digitech Digiverb, Digitech Bad Monkey, Dunlop Fuzz Face, Homemade Loop Bypass pedal, Duhvoodooman's Sonic Tonic (Maxon SD-9 clone +), Voodoo Labs Superfuzz

Post Thanks / Like

Yes - that axe is very tasty, indeed! I bet that guitar just RIPS it up, too. Could you imagine what that would sound through your Marshall Jubilee? Yeah, like WOW! I see that its a USA custom, so it'd probably some addt'l green - but man, that would be a cool little axe to have. Er, I mean for your daughter to have . . . ?

Post Thanks / Like

When I worked in a music store we had a old "TV Yellow" LP jr. It was built like a tank, I think you could beat up the audience with it and still have the guitar in perfect tuning ;-)
    I can't say that I've given up on a flanger cause I've never liked the effect either. I also can't say the same about Tremolo. I hate them both equally. - Tone2TheBone 2009

Post Thanks / Like

SS,

I also love that TV Yellow colour. I think my collection would be complete with both colours (red, tv yellow) in the Junior! I dunno theres just something about the body and the simplicity of the guitar that I love.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, it has a very distinct sound. Much attack and steel, it really does sound more like a Tele than a LP.
    And sure, the red one is a beauty as well!
    I can't say that I've given up on a flanger cause I've never liked the effect either. I also can't say the same about Tremolo. I hate them both equally. - Tone2TheBone 2009