Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Stock Agile AL 3100 - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Stock Agile AL 3100

Post Thanks / Like

Yes - I did see the 820, very nice and still well within my price range.

I miss my LP though - the 2000 reviewed on Youtube does well enough. I kinda see a LP like a Strat IE you have to have one in the stable
    Dave
    Guitars: Ibanez AF-75, Schecter Solo-6 Custom, Douglas SG
    Amps: Fender Princeton 65, Marshall AVT50
    Pedals: Metal Muff, MXR Smart Gate, EHX Cathedral Reverb, Digitech RP-255

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by progrmr
    I kinda see a LP like a Strat IE you have to have one in the stable
    Funny you should say that. I'm not sure if I'll ever own a strat again. Never say never, but they just don't appeal to me for some reason.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    Does anyone read the original post?
    Guitars: Gibson LP Studio, MIA Fender Precision, Carvin C350
    Amps: Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 + Avatar B212 / Genzler 12-3, Acoustic B20
    Pedals: Pod HD500X, Diamond Compressor, Tech 21 VT Bass, Sonic Research Turbo Tuner

W. Branch of Susquehanna River, Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Agile

I agree with Eric that the quality is with the Agiles, but budget is important too.

As far as the Agile LP's, the AL 2000 we got for Charity's grandson does not sound at all like my AL 3100. I think it is the big neck and alnico V pickups on the 3100, but may be more to it. The 3100 sounds WAY better than the 2000 that I bought. The 2000 has a maple neck set to a mahogany body. I think that is part of the tonal difference. Lately I think the neck has a lot more to do with tone than I had previously thought.

I grabbed my class A 3100 for 299 on sale, still a little more than a 2000. But if the budget calls for it you get what works and try to get the best quality, at least that's what I do. With this in mind the 2000 is a good deal for a great inexpensive guitar. The one we bought was great but brighter than my mahogany necked LP type guitars. Of course that could have been the cheap stock strings. I bought the strings and gave them to him with a bunch of effects pedals, but should have restrung it. I figured he'd break a string or two before too long so I didn't. He is 16 and has a buddy guitar player that is supposedly teaching him. I keep encouraging his mother to get him a teacher.
    Duffy Bolduc
    South Williamsport, Pa.

"Now all the things that use to mean so much to me has got me old before my time." G. Allman, "Old Before My Time", Hittin' the Note.

Major changes to guitars and amps, to be updated soon.

Fiance - Supportive of musical art

North of the Equator: I am a Southerner, Southern Ontario!
    Post Thanks / Like

I talked to Kurt at Rondo today by email and he says they don't have sales.
    Ah I am sorry but I hear about them all the time. Duffy: Did you get your Agile from Rondo or was it a used guitar. I thought you could only get Agiles new from Rondo.
    The Blues is alright!

Guitars: 1968 Gibson SG, 2005 Gibson SG Standard, 2006 Gibson LP Classic Gold top, 2004 Epiphone Elitist LP Custom, 1996 Gibson Les Paul Standard. 2001 Epiphone Sheraton II, 2007 Epiphone G400.
    Fender Strats: 1996 Fender 68 Reissue CIJ, 2008 Squier CV 50s, 2009 Squier CV 50s Tele Butterescotch Blonde

Amps: Blues Junior Special edition Jensen in Brown Tolex with Wheat front, 65 Deluxe Reverb reissue,1970 Sonax reverb by Traynor, Avatar Custom 2/12 Cabinet with Eminence Legend V1216 speakers,
    2008 DSL100 Marshall Amp , Fender Super Champ XD,Fender Vibro Champ XD

Effects and Pedals: Fulltone Fulldrive II, Fulltone OCD, Fulltone Mini Deja Vibe, Fulltone Fat Boost, Dunlop Crybaby Wah, Boss DS1, Boss DD20 Giga Delay, Boss TU2 tuner, Boss BD2, Ibanez TS9 Tube screamer, Zoom 505. Radial tonebone hot british.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Agile

I bought my Agile AL 3100 brand new from rondomusic.com, no affln.

They may not have sales but on the homepage you will see "New items and Specials", mine was listed under Specials, at a special price one hundred dollars less than regular price for other colors, etc. They had a few chambered ones on Special at the same time for way less than normal price for other colors.

I usually watch the "New Items and Specials" and see some good deals, but I may pay full price for my next one. One thing I noticed is that guitarfetish and their Xavier guitar line seem to be flamboyant and extravagant in describing their guitars, where the Agiles seem to have clear cut descriptions and stand for themselves in terms of very high quality, with absolutely no hot air.
    Duffy Bolduc
    South Williamsport, Pa.

"Now all the things that use to mean so much to me has got me old before my time." G. Allman, "Old Before My Time", Hittin' the Note.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Duffy
    One thing I noticed is that guitarfetish and their Xavier guitar line seem to be flamboyant and extravagant in describing their guitars, where the Agiles seem to have clear cut descriptions and stand for themselves in terms of very high quality, with absolutely no hot air.
    +1 on that! I have definitely noticed the same thing with guitarfetish.com.
    Pedals: Pod HD500X, Diamond Compressor, Tech 21 VT Bass, Sonic Research Turbo Tuner

Post Thanks / Like

That is what I heard. I hear guys all the time talking about lower prices. I guess they don't like the word "sale". Ok we will substitute, "special" .
    Works for me.
    The Blues is alright!

Guitars: 1968 Gibson SG, 2005 Gibson SG Standard, 2006 Gibson LP Classic Gold top, 2004 Epiphone Elitist LP Custom, 1996 Gibson Les Paul Standard. 2001 Epiphone Sheraton II, 2007 Epiphone G400.
    Fender Strats: 1996 Fender 68 Reissue CIJ, 2008 Squier CV 50s, 2009 Squier CV 50s Tele Butterescotch Blonde

Amps: Blues Junior Special edition Jensen in Brown Tolex with Wheat front, 65 Deluxe Reverb reissue,1970 Sonax reverb by Traynor, Avatar Custom 2/12 Cabinet with Eminence Legend V1216 speakers,

Effects and Pedals: Fulltone Fulldrive II, Fulltone OCD, Fulltone Mini Deja Vibe, Fulltone Fat Boost, Dunlop Crybaby Wah, Boss DS1, Boss DD20 Giga Delay, Boss TU2 tuner, Boss BD2, Ibanez TS9 Tube screamer, Zoom 505. Radial tonebone hot british.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Duffy
    I bought my Agile AL 3100 brand new from rondomusic.com, no affln.

They may not have sales but on the homepage you will see "New items and Specials", mine was listed under Specials, at a special price one hundred dollars less than regular price for other colors, etc. They had a few chambered ones on Special at the same time for way less than normal price for other colors.

I usually watch the "New Items and Specials" and see some good deals, but I may pay full price for my next one. One thing I noticed is that guitarfetish and their Xavier guitar line seem to be flamboyant and extravagant in describing their guitars, where the Agiles seem to have clear cut descriptions and stand for themselves in terms of very high quality, with absolutely no hot air.
    Duffy, I think your description of Guitarfetish ad copy is pretty close to Gibson as well.

How does the Agile AL3100 compare to an Epiphone LP Standard?

Post Thanks / Like

Duffy, I think that the brightness you hear in the AL2K is probably a combo of the maple neck and the ceramic pups. The Alnico pickups that come stock on the AL3x00s sound great, I agree. With the ceramics, you're more likely to have a less "warm" sound, due to the Alnico magnets having what's described as a "tone-rounding" effect...hence the warmer tone.

By the way, I think you need to update your sig; don't you have something like double the amount of guitars listed there now? ;-)
    -Sean
    Guitars: Lots.
    Amphs: More than last year.
    Pedals: Many, although I go straight from guitar to amp more often lately.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Agile

NWbasser, I think the Agile AL 3100 is superior to my Epi LP Standard with Seymour Duncan's - Jazz in neck, JB in bridge, Hot Rodded set; as well as my amber Epi LP Standard Plus Top with nickel covered Seymour Duncan's - 59 in the neck and JB in the bridge, although this is a very good guitar nevertheless. The Agile has binding top and bottom and an ebony fretboard, seems very well built, has binding everywhere, looks great, has a great thick neck and has real good tone with the stock pickups. Didn't think I would like a thick neck and wasn't expecting it but it feels great to play and the chords just fall into place effortlessly. I think that is one of the tests I give a guitar I play in a store, how smoothly and effortlessly am I able to play otherwise difficult chords. Some guitars are easy and some are difficult to chord on. Probably has to do with individual hands, but maybe not. Could be just a quality of the neck design issue.

So yeah, the higher end Agiles seem to me to be nicer guitars than the standard Epi LPs and below.

I am mainly only showing my upgraded collection now and there are a couple I should add. I'm selling some of my older, lower quality guitars. I even gave one away, it was moded too.
    Duffy Bolduc
    South Williamsport, Pa.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Nice Agile!

Nice looking guitar! I have had an AL-3000 goldtop for about 4 years now and it is a very nice guitar. It stays in tune well, the P-90's are great and the guitar is overall surprisingly nice for the $369 retail price.

I like the 3100's but I can't get past the feeling that an inlay on the 1st fret would screw me up!

Here's a pic of mine:

Guitars:

Fender Am. Std. Stratocaster (1990)
    Carvin DC-127 (2000)
    Fender Baja Telecaster (2016)
    Recording King RO-10 (2016)
    Gibson Les Paul CM (2015)

Amp:

Boss Katana 50

Effects:

Boss Tuner
    Caline Orange Burst
    Electro-Harmonix LPB1

Post Thanks / Like

Question has any of you gents ever had a bad experience with an Agile guitar?
    Maxi...................

Bootsy Collins:
    I pledge allegiance to the funk, the whole funk, and nothing but the funk, so help me James, Sly and George, Amen!!

Guitars: 2010 American Special HSS Strat, 2010 CIC Squire CV ThinLine Tele, & 2006 MIM FSR Strat.

Basses: 1979 Peavey T-40, 2007 Ibanez SR 500, 2013 Ibanez SR375F, 2013 CIJ Fender Geddy Lee Jazz Bass, 2014 Sadowsky Will Lee VI, & 2014 Sadowsky Will Lee Metro V

Amps: Mesa Boogie BASS STRATEGY:Eight:88, Aguliar DB 4X12, Augilar DB 751, Genz Benz CTR500-210T/Focus 1X15 CAB, Fender Hot Rod Deville 410, VHT Deliverance 60/VHT 2X12 fat Bottom Cab, & VOX DA20

Effects: Boss ME-25, MXR Custom Baddass 78, MXR Custom Baddass modified O.D., Vox Joe Satriani Satchurator, MXR Phase 90, MXR Bass Chorus Deluxe/Octave Deluxe/Bass Compressor/Envelope Filter/, Way Huge Pork Loin

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MAXIFUNK
    Question has any of you gents ever had a bad experience with an Agile guitar?
    Umm...not bad, necessarily. I've left mine hanging on the wall recently while I try to recalibrate myself to my Godin. I picked up the Agile again last night to try it out, and was reminded that it is one heavy SOB, even by LP standards. Also, I really do like the Seymour Duncan pickups in my Godin a lot more. They seem to respond better to volume and tone adjustments.

So no, not really a bad experience, though now that I've been 'seeing someone else', the weaknesses of the Agile are a little more apparent. It's still a crazy good deal for $400 or whatever they cost.
    Last edited by Eric; November 18th, 2010 at 09:57 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by eichaan
    Nice looking guitar! I have had an AL-3000 goldtop for about 4 years now and it is a very nice guitar. It stays in tune well, the P-90's are great and the guitar is overall surprisingly nice for the $369 retail price.

I like the 3100's but I can't get past the feeling that an inlay on the 1st fret would screw me up!

Here's a pic of mine:

I have a couple of P90 guitars and I was wondering what your Agile sounds like noise wise? My Gold top by Vintage guitars is said to have "Stacked p90s" which is suposed to suppress noise but they are quite noisey. Humm cancelling in the middle pos. though. I do use a lot of high gain amps though.
    The Blues is alright!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Pickups

Both of my P90 guitars are noisy, except the tele that is noise cancelling in the middle pickup switch position. Seymour Duncan, no affln., makes a supposedly quiet noiseless version. Probably well worth the money. Gibson does too I think, but I don't know if they are a retail item.
    Duffy Bolduc
    South Williamsport, Pa.

Post Thanks / Like

eichann, if I were to get an Agile, it would be one just like yours. Very sharp. I like the idea of P90s even though I'm not a big fan of noise.
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like

Default Agile

I agree with Marnold, in terms of getting an LP with P90's. I'd get the Agile Gold Top LP with P90's, definitely instead of the Epiphone. I really like P90 tone but the noise gets heavy under increasing gain, pedals, etc. That's why I prefer my one that noise cancels in the middle position.

I would like to get some noise cancelling P90's that still retain the characteristic sound. I would probably trust Seymour Duncan, no affln.

That is a beautiful Gold Top Agile. Also, I miss my GM110 that was stolen from me about two years ago along with a Highway One and a Gibson Faded SG. That GM110 was cool. I'd like to get a new one but they are hard to find new now.
    Duffy Bolduc
    South Williamsport, Pa.

Post Thanks / Like

I have had a Gibson SG with P90s for over 40 years, and it doesn't sound half as noisey as the stacked P90s by Wilkinson.
    My only reservation about the Agile GT is the triple body binding. That just does not look good on a gold top. Different yes, but regular binding would be enough.
    The Blues is alright!

Post Thanks / Like

Default P-90 etc.

Thanks for the nice comments. I don't personally find the P-90's to be noisy, and as an earlier poster mentioned they are hum cancelling in the middle position. Part of the reason for me is that I usually play on the middle setting at low volume (4 on the guitar) only raising the volume on bridge if I want a more trebly sound or neck if I want something fuller for leads. There is little problem that way.

My first Agile was an AL-2500 goldtop that got a crack on the scarf joint under the headstock after about 10 months. I drove over to Rondo (they still had the store in NJ then) and Kurt accepted it back with no problem. Then I played about 10 guitars before finding this AL-3000. And since I had a $200 credit from returning the first guitar, this only cost me $169. So I would have no hesitation buying another Agile--they take care of their customers.
    Guitars:

Fender Am. Std. Stratocaster (1990)
    Carvin DC-127 (2000)
    Fender Baja Telecaster (2016)
    Recording King RO-10 (2016)
    Gibson Les Paul CM (2015)

Amp:

Boss Katana 50

Effects:

Boss Tuner
    Caline Orange Burst
    Electro-Harmonix LPB1