Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Road-worn Strat

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I think if I did not already have my strat with these pups, and I liked the feel, I would go for this strat. I love the sound and feel of mine and I bet this one is similar. As far as the relic stuff, I guess I would not seek out that look. But if I liked it, I would look at the relic job as a start toward my own nicks, scuffs and etc., and would relax about those types of marks. I tend to really be careful of dinging my strat (or any of my guitars).
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

W. Branch of Susquehanna River, Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Road Worn

Actually, looking at the Road Worn strat, I think it could make a real nice looking strat if the yellowed, cheap looking, pickguard was replaced with a nice aged white pearl pickguard or black pearl pickguard, gold, tortoise, or whatever new color goes good.

The rest of the relic job looks sort of good actually, in a obviously fake type of way, but a new guard would make it look partly restored and really sharp I think.

But for almost 900 dollars I don't think it is a bargain at all. I could get a Jimmy Vaughn strat for way less that's brand new and looks brand new and has tex mex pickups. Or a Roadhouse, or Lone Star, or Deluxe Players strat.

Also, for a couple more dollars you could get an American standard strat. So it doesn't really make a lot of sense to get this guitar unless you - just have to have it, like Tig was saying. In that case, who cares what it looks like?

I'd rather have one of those "Santana" SE series PRS'es.
    Duffy Bolduc
    South Williamsport, Pa.

"Now all the things that use to mean so much to me has got me old before my time." G. Allman, "Old Before My Time", Hittin' the Note.

Major changes to guitars and amps, to be updated soon.

Fiance - Supportive of musical art

North of the Equator: I am a Southerner, Southern Ontario!
    Post Thanks / Like

Duff: There were a couple of issues of the M-III. One had kind of a strat body style and had a trem and 3 single coils with a "pointy" head stock
    The Studio Lite M III was one of the first chambered LPs and came with two HBs and a Single. There was another M III Called the Stealth. It has made of Korina wood and had the Strat style body, pointed headstock and dual HBs with a single. Circa 1991 and 1992. Fairly rare.
    I have looked at the road worn series and they looked as if they were painted, sanded then coated with a satin finish. Vintage guitars makes some of the nicest relic guitars I have ever seen for really low $.
    The Blues is alright!

Guitars: 1968 Gibson SG, 2005 Gibson SG Standard, 2006 Gibson LP Classic Gold top, 2004 Epiphone Elitist LP Custom, 1996 Gibson Les Paul Standard. 2001 Epiphone Sheraton II, 2007 Epiphone G400.
    Fender Strats: 1996 Fender 68 Reissue CIJ, 2008 Squier CV 50s, 2009 Squier CV 50s Tele Butterescotch Blonde

Amps: Blues Junior Special edition Jensen in Brown Tolex with Wheat front, 65 Deluxe Reverb reissue,1970 Sonax reverb by Traynor, Avatar Custom 2/12 Cabinet with Eminence Legend V1216 speakers,
    2008 DSL100 Marshall Amp , Fender Super Champ XD,Fender Vibro Champ XD

Effects and Pedals: Fulltone Fulldrive II, Fulltone OCD, Fulltone Mini Deja Vibe, Fulltone Fat Boost, Dunlop Crybaby Wah, Boss DS1, Boss DD20 Giga Delay, Boss TU2 tuner, Boss BD2, Ibanez TS9 Tube screamer, Zoom 505. Radial tonebone hot british.

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe my perception of this guitar is colored by the fact that I primarily play Les Pauls and this was the first strat that I've touched in many years.

Perhaps someone here with more strat miles on their hands could try one for better perspective? Duffy? Steve?

I'd like to know if this is an exceptional instrument or just another sample of the breed.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Heck, NW, if you like it, that is good by me. I bet I would too. Next time I get to Boise I will see if they have one at GC. That won't be for a few weeks though. Like I said, I have the same pups in my guitar, and I absolutely love it. They are also the same pups as in the JV strat also. So if you like the feel, sounds like a winner to me.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Default Update

Well, it seems it wasn't really only the RW strat that charms me. I just hadn't played many strats for a very, very long time and the newer ones are much better in nearly all aspects than what I was used to. Although some of the MIMs I recently tried were just meh. Fret ends weren't finished very well. The MIA Std. was super-sweet.

And now, I just got back from trying out a CV50's Squier and was quite thrilled with it. I guess all the glowing reports are not hype at all - it's a fine guitar and I nearly walked out of the store with it. Darn thing felt just right and sounded sweet too. It was a hard one to put down. It seemed much better than the few MIM's I tried.

Oh, I hope Santa is going to be good to me this X-mas.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12