Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
List your favorite present day guitar solos.

Thread: List your favorite present day guitar solos.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default List your favorite present day guitar solos.

There have been lots of discussions of what are the best solos of all time. The list includes typically some stuff from Jimi Hendrix, something from Page, SRV, etc.

But what about today's lead players and their solos? Who is out there laying down some good lead work with a good ripping solo in say the last 5 or 10 years?

Please list a couple songs/soloists if you like, and a vid or audio of the performance you are listing would be great.

I am going to hold off on mine until others post. But I know who I am going to list.

P.S. I am thinking of more traditional songs (think good ol' rock guitar screaming solos) here and not so much instrumental performances or some prog symphonic event (ducks from Spud's thrown shoe . . . ) But if you want to make a compelling case for your lead or solo, go for it.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

My first guy I dont think I can pick just one solo from. He's been gone for a few years now. But I think he will always be rembered. None other than Dimebag Darrell Abbott.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s9raw6qc6hs

I think Zakk nailed every aspect on In This River.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1HUr9UKAxiY

Id say Slash but honestly his best solo work was with Guns. I miss the great guitars of the past. And while I really admire guys like Mark Tremotti. There really isnt much out there IMO in good ole fashion style rock that grabs you by the balls and force's you to listen. There are some amazing artists, but they just dont seem to have that vibe about them imo and I think part of what makes a great solo is the vibe or soul thats behind the music. That is what I think is missing. With that said though, Ive really enjoyed listening to guys like Joe Bonamasssa and KWS. But thats a diffrent cat completely imo.

Post Thanks / Like

Well SVL, we all know whose altar you worship at, so it'll take something special to surprise me.

The first songs that come to mind are some stuff off of Sky Blue Sky by Wilco. I think Nels Cline has really great solos in Impossible Germany and Side With the Seeds.

And for some undeniable corniness, I have a soft spot for the solos from the Darkness, particularly I Believe in a Thing Called Love and Givin' Up.

These both sound a little different from the album versions, but I guess you get the idea.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    Does anyone read the original post?
    Guitars: Gibson LP Studio, MIA Fender Precision, Carvin C350
    Amps: Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 + Avatar B212 / Genzler 12-3, Acoustic B20
    Pedals: Pod HD500X, Diamond Compressor, Tech 21 VT Bass, Sonic Research Turbo Tuner

Post Thanks / Like

Tremonti rips on this solo, IMO.

Skolnick / Peterson both do well on this tune...
    Guitars:
    Fender 2006 MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS in 3TS
    Ibanez RG 570 with a bridge Invader
    ESP M II Deluxe with a Tune-o-Matic bridge
    Eleanor, the magical, mystical Road Worn wonder Tele
    Blackstar HT Club 40

Post Thanks / Like

I like Joe Bonamassa's Just Got Paid and Blues Deluxe on the Royal Albert Hall dvd.
    Bill

Post Thanks / Like

I doubt anyone will be surprised that my entry here is from Marc Ribot. Undaunted by the challenge of finding one that's not an "instrumental performances or some prog symphonic event," I offer the following track off the 2008 debut album Party Intellectuals from Marc's power trio Ceramic Dog. I suspect most of you know this song in its original incarnation...

"I happen to have perfect situational awareness, Lana. Which cannot be taught, by the way. Like a poet's ... mind for ... to make the perfect words." - Sterling Archer

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Grin!! I had no doubt you could meet the challenge, and also no doubt you would list Mr. Ribot. Thanks for posting! And thanks everyone for the contributions so far. I believe there is good music out there today. Glad to see some of it from your perspectives!
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

- j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

SVL, where's your JM post then?
    JM is always great choice!

Actually, and that's the funny part, my favourite solo by far is a solo from James La Bries new Album "Static Impulse" of a song called "Over The Edge", BUT two days ago I found out that it is the keyboards played through a guitar amp!!!! It still remains my favourite solo of the past 2 years, because the guitar player in that band (Marco Sfogli) has a very similar style and he would and could have played that solo, too.

Unfortunately no vid or yt link.
    "A lot of people in the industry want to blame downloading for the state of the business. But I think if most music wasn't shit to begin with people wouldn't be downloading it for free," - Corey Taylor (Slipknot)

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Ok, you guys nailed me. He was who I first thought of. I was just waiting for others first at least. But one other player whose tone and melodic approach I really enjoy and wanted to mention is Rivers Cuomo. He comes from a metal background and has lots of skill, and his tone is very expressive. He sometimes brings a Brian May kind of flavor just a bit, which he makes his own and uses to really say something as he plays. Same with his use of feedback. I just wish he would play a few more longer solos.

Here is one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jwv-iRvyDZg

And of course, here is my top pick:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4NxFH2344eo

I particularly enjoyed this performance and how he mixes major and minor tonalities, his tone, the whole thing.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

- j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Was hoping I could find a video for this one...

This is Stephen Malkmus (leader of Pavement and Stephen Malkmus & The Jicks) from his 2005 solo album Face the Truth. In a career full of great solos, this is defintely one of his best. If you're not too into the song itself, the solo starts around 2:06.

"I happen to have perfect situational awareness, Lana. Which cannot be taught, by the way. Like a poet's ... mind for ... to make the perfect words." - Sterling Archer

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Landau

Listen to Landau's solo about 1:50 in. And then Robben's solo.

Just WOW.

The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

Wow. I really like that Stephen Malkmus. Thanks R of G.
    Guitars: Epiphone Les Paul Ultra; pretty red Squier Acoustic;
    Amps: Vox VT30;
    Pedals: Dunlop Fuzz Face; Dunlop Crybaby Wah
    My kids have: Squier Affinity Stratocaster MII; Fender G-DEC; Squire Acoustic; Jay Turser Strat-copy, Roland Cube amp

"I am a sworn enemy of the saccharine, and a believer in grace over karma." Bono 2001

Post Thanks / Like

Last edited by duhvoodooman; November 22nd, 2010 at 06:18 PM. Reason: convert to YouTube embedding
    Guitars: Ibanez RG420EG, Harrier Mistral Ice White Tele
    Amps: Hughes & Kettner Edition Blue 15R (w/ 8" Celestion), Marshall Valvestate Mk.I 8100 Head, Blackheart BH5H Head
    Cabs: Marshall 4x12 (4 x Celestion Pro 12")
    FX:Line 6 Floor POD, BOSS 7-band GE-7, BOSS Mega Distortion MD-2, Vox V847a Reissue Wah, Danelectro Cool Cat Drive

Just another Rig Sig Jig, Dig?

W. Branch of Susquehanna River, Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Best contemporary leads

1. Jonny Lang, Ron Wood, and Buddy Guy playing "Miss You" at Crossroads 2010. Youtube below but the performance on the new DVD is totally awesome and Jonny Lang tears it up with them on a Muddy Waters tune.

Jonny Lang, 16 years old, "Good Morning Little School Girl":

Jonny Lang with Double Trouble playing Dr. John's, "There's No One Like You":

2. Gary Moore, "The Boys Are Back In Town":

Gary Moore and Eric Bell playing, "Whiskey In A Jar":

Last edited by Duffy; November 22nd, 2010 at 07:44 PM.
    Duffy Bolduc
    South Williamsport, Pa.

"Now all the things that use to mean so much to me has got me old before my time." G. Allman, "Old Before My Time", Hittin' the Note.

Major changes to guitars and amps, to be updated soon.

Fiance - Supportive of musical art

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Retro Hound
    Wow. I really like that Stephen Malkmus. Thanks R of G.
    Glad to hear it. One of several excellent songs on that particular album (the best of his four post-Pavement albums in my opinion).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Robert
    Listen to Landau's solo about 1:50 in. And then Robben's solo. Just WOW.
    Holy moley, yes indeedy. Gotta pick me up that CD!!

Quote Originally Posted by K31Scout
    I like Joe Bonamassa's Just Got Paid and Blues Deluxe on the Royal Albert Hall dvd.
    Both great choices. I think this is my favorite JB solo, though. It has definitely been my personal highlight of the last two shows I've seen, even though it really wasn't one of my favorite tunes of his before then. This clip isn't the RAH DVD version, though--it's one recorded at the North Sea Jazz Festival in July 2009 in Rotterdam, a couple of months after the RAH concert. The video quality isn't as good, but there are some great closeups of his fret work and the audio quality is fantastic for a live recording. I think I like his performance better here, too. The intro is great, and the main solo & outro start around 5:00. Just blistering, slow blues at its best....

DVM's Ever-Expanding Gear List:

Guitars - W-A-A-A-Y-Y too many to list. Check 'em all out HERE

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!