Thread: Got me a 'Madonna' mic

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Got me a 'Madonna' mic

Meaning a wireless headset.

I know, it hardly looks very rock - can't think of any rock bands besides Winger in which the lead singer used one...but it has to be SO handy. This is a lower end Shure, PG something, but seems quite OK.

I just quickly tested it but with still a sore throat not much. Works, anyway...we'll see how it works for rock singing.

If anything, it should make singing and playing a breeze since I don't have to stare at the ceiling when I sing & stand right at one point in front of the mic 99 % of the time, I can freely walk around and switch pedals and whatnot and just sing all the time, also look at some lyrics notes on the floor...should be GREAT!!!

So who cares if it looks lame...
    Dee

"When life's a biatch, be a horny dog"

Amps: Marshall JVM 410H w/ Plexi Cap mod, Choke Mod & Negative Feedback Removal mod, 4x12", Behringer GMX110, Amplitube 3/StealthPedal

Half a dozen custom built/bastardized guitars all with EMG's, mostly 85's, Ibanez Artwood acoustic & Yamaha SGR bass, Epiphone Prophecy SG, Vox Wah, Pitchblack tuner plus assorted pedals, rack gear etc. for home studio use.

Post Thanks / Like

Now you just need a corset with conical cups and you'll be set. It will probably make it difficult to play guitar though.
    Patrick

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

Are you gonna sing "Like A Virgin" now? Let's hear that one. [just teasing]

What kind did you get?

I've been looking at those for my video lesson recordings, but the good ones seem expensive. I use a lapel mic instead (Shure).
    Last edited by Robert; November 19th, 2010 at 11:31 AM.
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Yep I thought maybe I should come up with some kind of a show mask to house the mic then, like a zombie mask or something :-) LOL
    Dee

Amps: Marshall JVM 410H w/ Plexi Cap mod, Choke Mod & Negative Feedback Removal mod, 4x12", Behringer GMX110, Amplitube 3/StealthPedal

Half a dozen custom built/bastardized guitars all with EMG's, mostly 85's, Ibanez Artwood acoustic & Yamaha SGR bass, Epiphone Prophecy SG, Vox Wah, Pitchblack tuner plus assorted pedals, rack gear etc. for home studio use.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't think it's a bad idea. I have often thought of getting one. But quick checks on-line made me think they were pretty pricey.
    I can see how it would be incredibly useful as I tend to move around a bit, (actually someone told me I remind them of Joe Cocker) and stray off the mic when it's on a stand

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by hubberjub
    Now you just need a corset with conical cups and you'll be set. It will probably make it difficult to play guitar though.
    Yikes! That look combined with his recent new haircut and his stone guitar would be something! Norwegian death metal, move over!
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sunvalleylaw
    Yikes! That look combined with his recent new haircut and his stone guitar would be something! Norwegian death metal, move over!
    Now you've given me nightmares I myself am the star of. Cheers, mate!
    Dee

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

But seriously, yeah, I'm anticipating this to be very nice indeed. I've always been so pained with having to sing at the mic and make all kinds of pedal changes all along...I have changed my mic setup lately to that of Hetfield, i.e. so low down I can sing to it AND see my pedalboard...works, but it's hell for my neck too and that also can look weird methinks.

So this should be good. The only problems I can see is the mic is - being a condenser - rather prone to huffs and puffs and low-end pops, so I need to be extra careful that way. And also, no using the proximity effect no more - I've been quite literally almost swallowing the SM 57 I normally use on low passages when I want to sound 'devilish' for maximum low end impact.
    Dee

Post Thanks / Like

Unfortunately, such mics are becoming popular amongst us clergy types too. I personally hate any wireless mic. It's a pain to flip around with it during the service. If you get one like deeaa bought, yeah, the whole Madonna thing is almost too obvious. Or it looks like some bizarre bug has gotten on your cheek. Thankfully our church building is relatively small and I have a voice that can stun a mature musk ox at 300 paces. We have mics on the pulpit and lectern but they are there just to record the services.
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I don't need no instructions to know how to rock!"--Carl Brutananadilewski

Post Thanks / Like

Just so long as you don't start wearing a pointy bra.