Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Rutherfordectomy results! - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Rutherfordectomy results!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Krashpad
    It turns out that the strongest cocktail for this application can also destroy or damage upper frequency hearing, as well as have a tiny possibility of nerve results in the hands! So they always ask people if they are singers or musicians or others whose hearing is integral to their work, and those people (me!) get a slightly different chemical.
    Well Brian, bass isn't such a bad instrument.
    You'll be able to hear it and nobody will notice any nerve damage.

I finally got to read all this and I sincerely hope the best for you for a speedy recovery.
    Last edited by duhvoodooman; December 10th, 2010 at 01:58 PM.

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

Here's for a quick recovery, Brian!

The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

So, just call me "chemo boy." Or at least very probably.
    Keep the humor and spirits high, and the body will follow.

Oh, and by no means are you allowed to go emo, not that you would.

Guitar: Gibson SG Standard Natural Burst, Squier CV 50's Tele, Hell Guitars No. 2, Squier CV 50's Strat, Reverend Club King 290, Taylor 522e 12-Fret mahogany,
    Squier Vintage Modified Jaguar Bass Short Scale
    Amp: Fender Super Champ X2 Head, Egnater Tweaker 15, Fender Mustang I, Acoustic B20 1x12 bass amp
    Pedal: Budda Budwah wah, Wampler Ego Compressor, Electro-Harmonix Soul Food, Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive, Wampler Velvet Fuzz, Seven Sisters Eve Tremolo, TC Electronics Gravy Tri Chorus & Vibrato, Catalinbread Echorec, TC Electronic Alter Ego 2 Delay, Hardwire Supernatural Ambient Verb, MXR Carbon Copy, Catalinbread RAH, Big Muff Pi with Tone Wicker, BYOC Mouse 2.0 Distortion, BYOC Boost/OD-2

Post Thanks / Like

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by NWBasser
    It turns out that the strongest cocktail for this application can also destroy or damage upper frequency hearing, as well as have a tiny possibility of nerve results in the hands! So they always ask people if they are singers or musicians or others whose hearing is integral to their work, and those people (me!) get a slightly different chemical.
    Well Brian, bass isn't such a bad instrument.
    You'll be able to hear it and nobody will notice any nerve damage.

I finally got to read all this and I sincerely hope the best for you for a speedy recovery.
    Hhah, thanks, but I still need to hear that snare to work off the drummer.

Last edited by duhvoodooman; December 10th, 2010 at 01:53 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Continued wishes for quick recovery, and I hope the chemo doesn't affect you at all.

The upshot is that surgery, radiation and chemo is the MFH to the stuck bathroom door of cancer.

I've got a good friend that at one point had cancer that had metastasized all over her body. She didn't listen to all the negativity, researched the heck out of her condition and kept fighting. Her last two scans have been clear.
    Guitars:
    Fender 2006 MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS in 3TS
    Ibanez RG 570 with a bridge Invader
    ESP M II Deluxe with a Tune-o-Matic bridge
    Eleanor, the magical, mystical Road Worn wonder Tele
    Blackstar HT Club 40

Post Thanks / Like

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Robert
    Here's for a quick recovery, Brian!

Haha, alas, it will be 2011 before ol' Krash will be having so much as a beer. It's been 16 days since I've had anything to drink already.

I found it kind of odd, today Chemo Doc sort of implied that hitting beer is less unhealthy vis-a-vis this condition. After establishing that I didn't really ever smoke cigs, he asked about alcohol. I told him I was no stranger to beer. Before he got into amounts, he said "Just beer? Not liquor?" I said, yeah, almost exclusively, I virtually never drink liquor. He says "no liquor" to himself and writes it down on his chart. It was clear by his expression that that sort of ruled out that as a causative factor. I had always heard "a drink is a drink," meaning that a beer is just as bad for you as a shot or a mixed drink, and vice-versa. But apparently that may not always be the case. Of course, it doesn't really matter here, since I got what I got anyhow, but I found that somewhat strange.

Post Thanks / Like

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Tig
    Keep the humor and spirits high, and the body will follow.

Oh, and by no means are you allowed to go emo, not that you would.

Haha, I have a song title "Just Say 'No' to Emo!" that I have yet to get around to writing the song for!

And of course, I will have to write something about this. I think it will probably be called "Pain In the Neck," although I'm also toying with "Voila My Scar" (the latter being a reference to the Madeleine children's books). Hers however, was an appendectomy:

Post Thanks / Like

Talking an update, with more gnarly pics!

Been doing a lot of doctor shite over the last week.

Looks like chemo and radiation will start up next week, after I get a couple big tooth fillings taken care of. The radiation is going to feck up my teeth/bone on one side, basically forever. Lovely.

Went to the radiation oncology mad scientist lab yesterday so they could make a plastic mask that will hold me in just exactly the right spot for the ray-gun to shoot me in the neck. The thing is pretty bosstastic looking and I'm hoping I get to keep it when we're done. This isn't mine, but gives you an idea what they look like:

While I was there, the rad-oncologist breezes through and says, "did I mention you could also do TWO sessions a day? But it wouldn't shorten the overall time, there's just a tiny possibility it might help. But your tumor was so small, it's not really necessary. I probably shouldn't have even mentioned it."

ARRRRGH. Feckin' A, doc, if you SHOULDN'T mention it, FECKING DON'T mention it.

I'm already getting chemo and radiation, AND have already had surgery to remove everything in the general vicinity of the damn thing. Under other circumstances I might go for broke. To my surprise, Mrs. K did not insist otherwise. I'm keeping a fairly cool head about this whole deal, I'm younger and fitter than the average patient, and a non-smoker. But I can see that some other patients would totally lose it if he did that.

Btw, here's a photo update. I've often written notes to myself on me (see hand). Now OTHERS are writing notes to THEMSELVES on me (see chest-- radiation reference mark). I think it's just an excuse for those radiation tech ladies to see me without a shirt.

Did I mention my bosstastic scar? (see neck) The super glue is starting to peel off. You can see that the end up closest to my ear has about a half inch where it's just pink. That's the actual scar. The brown color of the rest of it is the super glue that hasn't come off yet.

Beard's going this week-- I'll shave it off since one side'll fall out anyhow.

No docs today! Yay. Probably the last weekday I'll be able to say that until Christmas Eve.

So, there ya go.

Post Thanks / Like

You look awesome Brian. Like an experienced pirate with some scars!

Seriously, I'm hoping this works great and that this issue is DONE for you for good after this treatment!
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Man, that has got to suck. However, it sure beats the alternative!

Keep on rockin' in the free world, and don't let those radiology tech wimmerns have their way with ya'!
    Guitar: Gibson SG Standard Natural Burst, Squier CV 50's Tele, Hell Guitars No. 2, Squier CV 50's Strat, Reverend Club King 290, Taylor 522e 12-Fret mahogany,
    Amp: Fender Super Champ X2 Head, Egnater Tweaker 15, Fender Mustang I, Acoustic B20 1x12 bass amp
    Pedal: Budda Budwah wah, Wampler Ego Compressor, Electro-Harmonix Soul Food, Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive, Wampler Velvet Fuzz, Seven Sisters Eve Tremolo, TC Electronics Gravy Tri Chorus & Vibrato, Catalinbread Echorec, TC Electronic Alter Ego 2 Delay, Hardwire Supernatural Ambient Verb, MXR Carbon Copy, Catalinbread RAH, Big Muff Pi with Tone Wicker, BYOC Mouse 2.0 Distortion, BYOC Boost/OD-2

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Robert
    You look awesome Brian. Like an experienced pirate with some scars!
    Well, hopefully not like a Keef pirate!

Post Thanks / Like

Scar's looking good... Keep up the good fight, man. Prayers for continued recovery still headed your way.
    Guitars:
    Fender 2006 MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS in 3TS
    Ibanez RG 570 with a bridge Invader
    ESP M II Deluxe with a Tune-o-Matic bridge
    Eleanor, the magical, mystical Road Worn wonder Tele
    Blackstar HT Club 40

Post Thanks / Like

Talking

Thanks fellers.

As for piratin', instead I say "Stay thirsty, my Friends" a lot:

Post Thanks / Like

If you weren't married.....that scar would be landin' babes for you left and right.

Kind of like you were a "bad boy"....Johnny Depp-ish almost with a nod to Keef.

Seriously.....good luck with all this doctoring and stuff and try to keep your humor intact. That old adage about a laugh a day is true.

Post Thanks / Like

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by piebaldpython
    If you weren't married.....that scar would be landin' babes for you left and right.

Kind of like you were a "bad boy"....Johnny Depp-ish almost with a nod to Keef.

Seriously.....good luck with all this doctoring and stuff and try to keep your humor intact. That old adage about a laugh a day is true.
    Thanks, I've been laughing more than ever to be honest. Some somewhat dark humor on occasion, but that just makes it even funnier.

Best so far: my wife teaches adults English as foreign language. She got an e-mail from one of her students intending to comfort her about my situation. The subject line read:

wait for it...

I am sure he will be overcome

Post Thanks / Like

Man, Brian, I'm glad to hear you have such a sense of humor in all this!

That was pretty funny, I have to admit.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

ROFLMAO.

It's just like a gift, Brian. It's the thought that counts.

Post Thanks / Like

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Commodore 64
    ROFLMAO.

It's just like a gift, Brian. It's the thought that counts.
    Her students, by and large, are the sweetest people in the world. Usually, each year we have a winter holiday break party for them, I call it the "United Nations party." I'm not sure if we're doing it this year, haven't heard any dates. My guess is that Mrs. K is skipping it this time.

If so, too bad. The food they bring is GREAT.

Post Thanks / Like

Talking

Here's the last pic of the beard.

"I don't always do chemo, but when I do, I prefer O'Douls to Dos Equis.

(OK, it's not really like I prefer O'Douls, but I'm not allowed Dos Equis. I digress.)

Stay thirsty, my friends."

Here's the drawings they did on me yesterday at the mad scientist lab. All you amateur radiation oncologists can figure out exactly where I'ma be zapped. Note tasteful lack of nipplage.

I gave up trying to finish shaving a neck I still can't feel. A bit scary that. May try to do better tomorrow. Or not. At least most of the Santa beard is gone.

Today: first zappage!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast