Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Vox Valvetronix

Thread: Vox Valvetronix

Post Thanks / Like

Default Vox Valvetronix

Ive been getting hounded about what I want for x-mas lately. After reading what you guys think about some of the modeling amps and what Ive seen on youtube. Im really leaning towards a Vox Valvetronix VT40+. Im wondering if any of you guys have any experience with them. If you have what do you think? If you want to suggest something else Im game for suggestions but it has to be under the $250 price range.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I've heard good things about the Valvetronix, and I'd also look into the new Fender Mustang amps, but I've never played either so my comments are useless!

So instead, here is the ultimate, greatest Vox impregnated guitar ever...

I hope this helps!

Now back to the discussion in progress...
    Guitar: Gibson SG Standard Natural Burst, Squier CV 50's Tele, Hell Guitars No. 2, Squier CV 50's Strat, Reverend Club King 290, Taylor 522e 12-Fret mahogany,
    Squier Vintage Modified Jaguar Bass Short Scale
    Amp: Fender Super Champ X2 Head, Egnater Tweaker 15, Fender Mustang I, Acoustic B20 1x12 bass amp
    Pedal: Budda Budwah wah, Wampler Ego Compressor, Electro-Harmonix Soul Food, Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive, Wampler Velvet Fuzz, Seven Sisters Eve Tremolo, TC Electronics Gravy Tri Chorus & Vibrato, Catalinbread Echorec, TC Electronic Alter Ego 2 Delay, Hardwire Supernatural Ambient Verb, MXR Carbon Copy, Catalinbread RAH, Big Muff Pi with Tone Wicker, BYOC Mouse 2.0 Distortion, BYOC Boost/OD-2

Post Thanks / Like

I'm pretty pleased with my Vox Valvetronix VT30. You might also want to look at the Roland Cube 30x or maybe 15x. Or a used Fender SuperChamp XD. The Vox will have the most amp models, but you might like the sound of one of the others better. The Roland has a super-fantastic clean. The Fender SCXD is amazing sounding to me. If I'd had a chance to play one first, I might have bought it instead of the Vox. The one big drawback to the SCXD is I think you can't run reverb and another effect at the same time, but I could be wrong with that.
    Guitars: Epiphone Les Paul Ultra; pretty red Squier Acoustic;
    Amps: Vox VT30;
    Pedals: Dunlop Fuzz Face; Dunlop Crybaby Wah
    My kids have: Squier Affinity Stratocaster MII; Fender G-DEC; Squire Acoustic; Jay Turser Strat-copy, Roland Cube amp

"I am a sworn enemy of the saccharine, and a believer in grace over karma." Bono 2001

W. Branch of Susquehanna River, Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Vox

On the SCXD you can run a range of reverb and delay at the same time, you can also select Chorus and have delay and reverb at the same time. You can have reverb alone and chorus alone as well plus other effects separately like tremolo and vibrato and delay, all in differnet parameters of speed and depth.

The SCXD is 299 and probably worth the extra fifty dollars because it is "all tube", so called design, but uses a digital amp modeling section and effects section. Has like sixteen amp models that are very good, about at least eight of which are classic Fender amps and includes eight more of British and ultra high gain type models. It uses a regular preamp tube and a big power tube, 6L6 I think. 15 - 20 tube watts of LOUDNESS, depending how the watts are measured.

That little Vox 40+ looks like a neat amp though. On the wattage switch it goes up to 40 watts and then has a zone in red or another color that goes up about 20 degrees more of arc on the knob into quite a bit more watts than 40. It also include autowah as one of the effects, which was left off the new VT standard versions in lieu of something else.

Hope this helps.
    Duffy Bolduc
    South Williamsport, Pa.

"Now all the things that use to mean so much to me has got me old before my time." G. Allman, "Old Before My Time", Hittin' the Note.

Major changes to guitars and amps, to be updated soon.

Fiance - Supportive of musical art

Post Thanks / Like

I have a VOX VT30 and love it, although if I were to purchase it again I would have opted for the 50 with the larger speaker. But it does sound nice even at low volumes.

As for other amphs, I have a Jet City Head/Cab in that price range if you are interested. :-)

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I have the AD30VT and after a speaker change it's quite a nice bedroom amp indeed. Also not bad at all for recording. I guess I would recommend one for overall use bedroom amp quite happily, and probably the 40+ is already way better.

Still, it's far from an ideal or great amp, I've found I don't play it very much after all anyway, rather just D/I...so am selling it off at the moment. Probably won't get another small amp any more, as they just tend to not cut it in the end and going D/I I get the same or better sounds easier.

I dunno...once you've played full-fledged tube amps for a long time, I guess it's just nigh impossible to settle for a compromise. I can't find anything else than, say an old Marshall type or some Fender type or some that type 'boutique' amps that I really really like. Everything else is just a painful compromise in the end.
    Dee

"When life's a biatch, be a horny dog"

Amps: Marshall JVM 410H w/ Plexi Cap mod, Choke Mod & Negative Feedback Removal mod, 4x12", Behringer GMX110, Amplitube 3/StealthPedal

Half a dozen custom built/bastardized guitars all with EMG's, mostly 85's, Ibanez Artwood acoustic & Yamaha SGR bass, Epiphone Prophecy SG, Vox Wah, Pitchblack tuner plus assorted pedals, rack gear etc. for home studio use.

Post Thanks / Like

I really liked the clean tones I could get from my AD30VT. As a matter of fact, if I only wanted cleans or bluesy distortion, I would have kept using it forever after swapping out the speaker with a Ragin' Cajun. No matter what I did, though, I couldn't get hard rock/metal-level distortion that I liked. I'm not sure if it was the models themselves or the cabinet.
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like

For modeling amps, I think you can't go wrong with the Valvetronix series (I have the older AD50VT, 112). They're fun bedroom/basement jammers.
    I'd also look at the 6V6-powered Fender Super Champ XD. Watch for the sales, and It'll be in your price range. This guy runs through the different voicings...

Post Thanks / Like

my girlfriend has one, havent heard her complain about it.

sounds pretty good to me.
    Guitars: Ibanez RG420EG, Harrier Mistral Ice White Tele
    Amps: Hughes & Kettner Edition Blue 15R (w/ 8" Celestion), Marshall Valvestate Mk.I 8100 Head, Blackheart BH5H Head
    Cabs: Marshall 4x12 (4 x Celestion Pro 12")
    FX:Line 6 Floor POD, BOSS 7-band GE-7, BOSS Mega Distortion MD-2, Vox V847a Reissue Wah, Danelectro Cool Cat Drive

Just another Rig Sig Jig, Dig?