Thread: Best Wiring Scheme For New Strat Loaded Pickguard ?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Best Wiring Scheme For New Strat Loaded Pickguard ?

Hi Everyone

I'm ordering a custom loaded pickguard this week. I've decided on the Dimarzio Area pickups. Not 100% on which ones yet, but probably three 67s or two 67s and a 61 in the bridge. But the shop need info regarding the wiring scheme, etc.

I'm not entirely sure of the best wiring scheme and tone control setup. I'll probably wire "tone1" to both neck and middle pups and "tone2" to the bridge pup. Is this the best setup and is there anything else I need to consider?

I'd appreciate any tips / opinions on this as it's my first time making these decisions.
    Last edited by Fretz; November 20th, 2010 at 05:44 PM.
    Cheers
    Fretz

Post Thanks / Like

I'd say that adding a push-pull pot for a "neck-on" mod would be great. That way you can get the Tele-like bridge and neck combo and all three pickups. I'd consider leaving the middle pup off of a tone control. It'd be very easy to change later if you wanted.
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by marnold
    I'd say that adding a push-pull pot for a "neck-on" mod would be great. That way you can get the Tele-like bridge and neck combo and all three pickups. I'd consider leaving the middle pup off of a tone control. It'd be very easy to change later if you wanted.
    Thanks Marnold.

Would the push-pull pot be on one of the tone controlls? Would it look any different?
    Also, why would you leave the middle pup off of a tone control?
    Cheers
    Fretz

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Fretz
    Would the push-pull pot be on one of the tone controlls? Would it look any different?
    Also, why would you leave the middle pup off of a tone control?
    Most likely one of the tone controls, yes. I wouldn't look any different unless it was engaged (i.e. pulled up). As far as the middle pup goes, I know a lot of people like doing it that way. You can have a single pickup that will be brighter without being loaded down by the tone pot and it will make the quack positions a bit brighter. As I said, it is REALLY easy to change one way or the other.
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn