Thread: 24 Blues Licks

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

Default 24 Blues Licks

I finally finished my new lesson product.

Here's some info about it. Help me spread the word, if you like this!

The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

Default If you've always wanted to play a 12 bar blues like Robert...

People - if you've ever watched/listened to Robert spin out those endlessly tasty licks or comp up a storm to a great blues and wished you could play like him, BUY THIS LESSON! Cause here it is, the whole enchilada, start to finish, 48 bars worth! Makes a great Christmas present to yourself if your wife doesn't know what to get you - much better than another tie or replacements for worn socks or underwear...

Robert, thanks for doing this - it's the lesson I've dreamed of from you. Now, back to the woodshed. Oh, yeah, and a Happy Thanksgiving to all my fellow Yanks.
    "GAS never sleeps" - Gil Janus

"Now you got to pay your dues. Get that axe and play the blues." - Spudman

Gear: Epiphone Sheraton II, Epiphone Wildkat, Epiphone Emperor Joe Pass, Fender MIM Strat, Tacoma DR-14, Johnson JR-200 resonator; Fender Super Champ XD amp

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Ted, hearing that means a lot to me! I have worked so many hours on this project, so I'm really hoping people will like it. It's by far the best guitar lesson product I have ever produced so far.

I am very glad to hear you find it useful!

I called it Bar Blues 1 because I like this format, and if the feedback is good, I'll probably make a Bar Blues 2 product, with the same approach, but with a completely different type of blues tune, and of course different licks as well.
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Very cool Robert! I am looking forward to learning these. I have been working on fretboard knowledge, chord voicings, etc, but I really needed some phrases to learn so that the fretboard knowledge will start to sound like something. Thanks for making this!
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Im going to wait for the dvd, since I spend most of my time learning in another room then the computer. I signed up for the notification any estimation on when that might be ready?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jx2
    Im going to wait for the dvd, since I spend most of my time learning in another room then the computer. I signed up for the notification any estimation on when that might be ready?
    Thanks for signing up. I am still working on finishing the DVD project file, and after that, I'll get DVDs made up. I would guess a couple of weeks perhaps, before I have the finished DVDs ready to ship.

Sorry for the wait!

Post Thanks / Like

Very Nice Robert,I really like the comp chording in there also! Sumi
    Guitars,Warmoth Tele,90's Fender Strat Plus/Fender CV 50's Tele/Parker p-36/Fretlight/Custom Strat(Fender body/warmoth Clapton neck,tonerider pups)Larrivee L03 mahogany acoustic

Amphs/66 Super Reverb/60's Bandmaster head and 2/12 cab/Blues jr//epi valve jr/supro super/ ZT lunchbox/Mahaffay Little Laneilei 3350/Pignose g40v

Pedals/Voods Rodent/MXR carbon copy/Duncan Pickup booster/Ts9/Rat/ts10/Line 6 tone port uk2
    Line 6 M13

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sumitomo
    Very Nice Robert,I really like the comp chording in there also! Sumi
    Thanks, a lesson on how to play the chording is included in the video.

Post Thanks / Like

Looks like a great video Robert, you are a good teacher this I can testify (by looking at your videos even before I joined The Fret) however I think imho that the advertising clip is not illustrating enough the content
    Guitars:
    1978 Fender Telecaster Thinline Custom USA, New Nash TL-72 Thinline Telecaster, 1965 Harmony Meteor, H71, 1986 Fender Telecaster Esquire MIJ, New Martin J-41 Special, 1933 National Duolian, 1941, New Eastwood Mandocaster 12 strings

Amps:
    Tweed Vibrolux Custom Denis Manlay, 1976 Fender Deluxe Reverb Silverface

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jipes
    Looks like a great video Robert, you are a good teacher this I can testify (by looking at your videos even before I joined The Fret) however I think imho that the advertising clip is not illustrating enough the content
    No? What would you suggest? The video is already 4 minutes.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Robert
    No? What would you suggest? The video is already 4 minutes.
    I understand Robert that the length is an issue but I'm sure you can shrink the opening discussion and rather put more examples. Use one after the other in short passages with transitions.

What is more important ? To give a taste of the very nice licks that you demonstrate and explain no ?
    Guitars:
    1978 Fender Telecaster Thinline Custom USA, New Nash TL-72 Thinline Telecaster, 1965 Harmony Meteor, H71, 1986 Fender Telecaster Esquire MIJ, New Martin J-41 Special, 1933 National Duolian, 1941, New Eastwood Mandocaster 12 strings

Amps:

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jipes
    I understand Robert that the length is an issue but I'm sure you can shrink the opening discussion and rather put more examples. Use one after the other in short passages with transitions.

What is more important ? To give a taste of the very nice licks that you demonstrate and explain no ?
    Sure, I can do that. Examples of me playing some licks at normal speed without instructions, or examples of a few more of how to play them in more detail?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Robert
    Sure, I can do that. Examples of me playing some licks at normal speed without instructions, or examples of a few more of how to play them in more detail?
    Maybe insisting on the diversity of the licks
    Guitars:

Amps:

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the support and feedback!

I will see if SVL has some comments about the diversity? I made an effort to provide a good variety in these licks.

Post Thanks / Like

I think that your Blues lick vidieo is an outstanding work. There's some things on there for the novice and the pro.
    It is explained in such a way, that I believe that a Monkey could learn to play.

Keep up the great work Robert.
    Gibson ES 345 TDC
    Gibson ES 225
    Gibson ES 175
    Gibson ES 295
    Gibson ES 350
    Gibson SG
    Fender P Bass 70s
    Fender American Strat Delux
    Fender American Tele
    Alverez Yairi Ani DeFranco
    Fender Twin 65
    Fender Twin 72
    Fender Bassman 70
    Roland JC 120
    Marshall JVM 410 H
    Vintage 30 Stack

Post Thanks / Like

Neal, that is great to hear. I have gotten good feedback from my customers so far, and I am very glad you enjoy it too.

I am particularly glad that both novices and experienced players get something out of it. I deliberately mixed easy stuff with more difficult stuff - but the main thought was it has to sound good. Good doesn't have to mean difficult.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Neal
    It is explained in such a way, that I believe that a Monkey could learn to play.
    I am that monkey, thanks!

I've only completed the first of the 2 videos so far, but am quite impressed so far. I've picked up some great licks to fill out my blues playing, and go back to the lesson burn in everything since my memory is the use-it-or-lose-it type.

As you've come to expect from Robert, the lessons are perfect because of the varied speeds shown, different camera angles, and useful technique tips. Each video gets it's own PDF tab file, GuitarPro tab, and the backing track MP3.

This set of lessons will be useful for all levels of guitar player. I'm an intermediate player, so some of the licks are a bit challenging, but there are several that are good for beginners, too.

Unfortunately, I haven't had as much time available as I'd like so spend on the lessons since my wife needs plenty of help after her surgery. I'll post more later.
    Guitar: Gibson SG Standard Natural Burst, Squier CV 50's Tele, Hell Guitars No. 2, Squier CV 50's Strat, Reverend Club King 290, Taylor 522e 12-Fret mahogany,
    Squier Vintage Modified Jaguar Bass Short Scale
    Amp: Fender Super Champ X2 Head, Egnater Tweaker 15, Fender Mustang I, Acoustic B20 1x12 bass amp
    Pedal: Budda Budwah wah, Wampler Ego Compressor, Electro-Harmonix Soul Food, Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive, Wampler Velvet Fuzz, Seven Sisters Eve Tremolo, TC Electronics Gravy Tri Chorus & Vibrato, Catalinbread Echorec, TC Electronic Alter Ego 2 Delay, Hardwire Supernatural Ambient Verb, MXR Carbon Copy, Catalinbread RAH, Big Muff Pi with Tone Wicker, BYOC Mouse 2.0 Distortion, BYOC Boost/OD-2

Post Thanks / Like

+1 +1 +1 ! I was just looking to give this a bump with similar recommendations when I read Neal's and Tig's - get this lesson!
    "GAS never sleeps" - Gil Janus

"Now you got to pay your dues. Get that axe and play the blues." - Spudman

Gear: Epiphone Sheraton II, Epiphone Wildkat, Epiphone Emperor Joe Pass, Fender MIM Strat, Tacoma DR-14, Johnson JR-200 resonator; Fender Super Champ XD amp

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I echo these other guys, and want to finally follow up and say there are a lot of diverse licks that can be combined in tons of different ways. So worth it! I just need to spend more time with it than I have had time to spend since I received it. Extremely useful set of vids that are worth more than every penny.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson