Thread: Does gold wear off Agile AL 3100 quick?

W. Branch of Susquehanna River, Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Does gold wear off Agile AL 3100 quick?

I'm thinking about getting a black AL-3100 double bound LP copy and want to get the gold plated hardware version; however, I have heard that the gold comes right off very quickly. If this is the case I will get the chrome or nickel plated hardware version of the same guitar.

I heard that only the American made Fenders and Gibsons have gold plating that will actually stay on when polished with guitar polish. I imagine there are other guitars that have good gold plating as well so I'm asking you guys for your input on this subject with the Agile AL 3100.

Thanks for the feedback.
    Duffy Bolduc
    South Williamsport, Pa.

"Now all the things that use to mean so much to me has got me old before my time." G. Allman, "Old Before My Time", Hittin' the Note.

Major changes to guitars and amps, to be updated soon.

Fiance - Supportive of musical art

Post Thanks / Like

I dunno, Duffy, but I imagine the gold plating on these guitars (Gibby and Fender included, too) is very thin, and bound to wear off with any rubbing at all.

That's one of the things that I like about LP Customs... I think the worn gold just looks way cool on a gracefully aged instrument. Most probably wouldn't think so, though.

If you're into keeping the guitar pristine for as long as possible, I'd just go for the chrome or nickel look. The AL3000 with chrome and abalone inlays looks killer! I've been drooling over the wide neck version ever since they came out.

Revolving door GAS is a b*tch!
    Guitars:
    Fender 2006 MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS in 3TS
    Ibanez RG 570 with a bridge Invader
    ESP M II Deluxe with a Tune-o-Matic bridge
    Eleanor, the magical, mystical Road Worn wonder Tele
    Blackstar HT Club 40

Post Thanks / Like

Unless your hands don't sweat, or you wipe the gold off religiously after any use, or the gold plating is heavy, like 24 Karat, which is far too pricey for the Everyman guitar market, the typical thin-grade factory gold plating on Asian imports is gonna wear off. The more you touch it, the faster it will go.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Katastrophe
    I dunno, Duffy, but I imagine the gold plating on these guitars (Gibby and Fender included, too) is very thin, and bound to wear off with any rubbing at all.

That's one of the things that I like about LP Customs... I think the worn gold just looks way cool on a gracefully aged instrument. Most probably wouldn't think so, though.

If you're into keeping the guitar pristine for as long as possible, I'd just go for the chrome or nickel look. The AL3000 with chrome and abalone inlays looks killer! I've been drooling over the wide neck version ever since they came out.

Revolving door GAS is a b*tch!
    Yup, like Kat said. Oh, and a Happy Thanksgiving to the USA Fretters
    I'm already sitting in a puddle of drool because of the delicious smells coming from the kitchen

Post Thanks / Like

Yep. The gold plating will wear off, for sure, on ANY guitar so equipped.

The combo of sweat, acid and constant rubbing will get the best of 'em.
    bigG

Guitars:

Gibson Les Paul Studio Faded Cherry Mahogany, Peavey HP Signature EXP, Epi Sheraton II, Fender Standard Fat Strat, original 1982 Made in the USA Fender Bullet (w original HSC)/ 2005 Martin HD-7 Roger McGuinn Signature Edition (#102 of 250), Martin M-36 (0000), Martin OM-21, Martin 000-15M, Hohner EL-SP Plus Parlor acoustic

Amps: Swart Space Tone 6V6se, Swart Night Light Power Attenuator/compressor/stereo line-out, Peavey Windsor Studio, Vox AD50VT, Fender Super Champ XD, Vox DA15, Marshall MG10KK, '83 Peavey Bandit 65

Pedals: Cry Baby 535q wah, Bad Monkey OD, Boss DS-1, Sabine FuzzStortion, HardWire RV-7 Reverb

www.swartamps.com
    www.ericjosephelectricguitars.com

Carpe diem, brother, cause you don't know how many diems you have left to carpe.

North of the Equator: I am a Southerner, Southern Ontario!
    Post Thanks / Like

As we discussed, the Asian guitars will tarnish much faster than the US instruments. I personally have owned 4 or five guitars with gold hardware.
    The Epi Custom came right off. The Gibson Studio that I owned for 3 years never tarnished one bit. Also the Fender Deluxe player Strat and the Fender 50th Anniversary Strat never lost any of their gold at all. I have an Epiphone Elitist and the pickups are still perfect because they are the Gibson gold plated units. The stop bar is a little tarnished after 4 years.
    With that in mind I would go with the nickel or chrome, in an Asian guitar. The gold looks good when new but will tarnish to an almost brass like finish, and eventually with cleaning to a nickel finish anyway.
    Oh and I forgot my Epi Sheraton. It is a 2001 and the gold still looks really good. There is some tarnish on the pickups as others have mentioned from sweat and oxidation over the years. But 9 years and it is still good. Just DO NOT use any type of metal polish on them. It will take it right off. Been there done that and have the T shirt.
    The Blues is alright!

Guitars: 1968 Gibson SG, 2005 Gibson SG Standard, 2006 Gibson LP Classic Gold top, 2004 Epiphone Elitist LP Custom, 1996 Gibson Les Paul Standard. 2001 Epiphone Sheraton II, 2007 Epiphone G400.
    Fender Strats: 1996 Fender 68 Reissue CIJ, 2008 Squier CV 50s, 2009 Squier CV 50s Tele Butterescotch Blonde

Amps: Blues Junior Special edition Jensen in Brown Tolex with Wheat front, 65 Deluxe Reverb reissue,1970 Sonax reverb by Traynor, Avatar Custom 2/12 Cabinet with Eminence Legend V1216 speakers,
    2008 DSL100 Marshall Amp , Fender Super Champ XD,Fender Vibro Champ XD

Effects and Pedals: Fulltone Fulldrive II, Fulltone OCD, Fulltone Mini Deja Vibe, Fulltone Fat Boost, Dunlop Crybaby Wah, Boss DS1, Boss DD20 Giga Delay, Boss TU2 tuner, Boss BD2, Ibanez TS9 Tube screamer, Zoom 505. Radial tonebone hot british.

Post Thanks / Like

Considering the non-tarnished condition of my 14k gold wedding band, I suspect that the plating on cheap (or maybe most) guitar hardware has little or no gold at all. Pure gold doesn't tarnish - when they pull the gold out of ancient shipwrecks, it's as pretty as the day it was made. It's a fair bet that the "gold" on the Asian guitars will not last, and is really gold-colored as opposed to gold, and should be specified as such.
    Last edited by Heywood Jablomie; November 25th, 2010 at 05:22 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Heywood Jablomie
    Considering the non-tarnished condition of my 14k gold wedding band, I suspect that the plating on cheap (or maybe most) guitar hardware has little or no gold at all. Pure gold doesn't tarnish - when they pull the gold out of ancient shipwrecks, it's as pretty as the day it was made. It's a fair bet that the "gold" on the Asian guitars will not last, and is really gold-colored as opposed to gold, and should be specified as such.
    Excellent point! If gold doesn't oxidize, and we know it doesn't as Heywood says, then how can it tarnish?

I'm no metallurgist, but perhaps it's not gold oxidization we are seeing, maybe just good old fashion abrasive wear. Again, I know very little of electroplating, but surely a thin plating of even 24K gold would wear down quite quickly with abrasion. Gold is after all, quite soft.

Then again, because gold is so soft, perhaps even the "gold" plating is actually an alloy of gold and another metal...

BINGO!

Just found THIS...

Seems in jewelery at least, pure gold is mixed with a variety of metals to give the desired colouration. Metals like Copper for example which do oxidise.

Perhaps the ratio of pure gold to another metal actually dictates whether the resultant alloy tarnishes or wears through quicker.

Well I guess I still have no idea why some gold parts wear sooner than others, but I did discover theres a thing called "Purple Gold" which is gold+aluminium