Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Which 1 album brings the most memories
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which 1 album brings the most memories

Post Thanks / Like

Default Which 1 album brings the most memories

Is there an album from your past that either captures a special time in your life or maybe has left you with some mystical feeling? If there is 1 (just one) album that really brings back memories, what is it?

Mine is

It was a good period of my youth and when I heard this it was kind of otherworldly and that feeling has never left. Whenever I listen to this album a flood of memories come to the surface.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

I got a blank page when I clicked your link man....

Here's mine.....wouldnt be surprised to see this one pop up a few more times especially for guys around my age(33).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nevermind

Post Thanks / Like

Mine would have to be the first Cream album, Fresh Cream. I had never heard anyone play guitar like THAT before, and it inspired me to learn to play.

DVM's Ever-Expanding Gear List:

Guitars - W-A-A-A-Y-Y too many to list. Check 'em all out HERE

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

Operation: Mindcrime by Queensryche. I was a sophmore in high school when it came out, and for me, it was daily, required listening... for a looooooong time.
    Guitars:
    Fender 2006 MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS in 3TS
    Ibanez RG 570 with a bridge Invader
    ESP M II Deluxe with a Tune-o-Matic bridge
    Eleanor, the magical, mystical Road Worn wonder Tele
    Blackstar HT Club 40

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

There's a couple with very special memory trips.

Judas Priest:British Steel. The first HeavyMetal album I heard, never forget the feeling.

The Cult: Love. What I listened to over and over again w/my first gf.

Counting Crowes: August and Everything After. What I listened to a lot when I was staying in N.Y.C. and wandering alone in the streets with nothing to do but look at the city and drink coffee with the winos.

Yeah, those three would be the tops in that respect.
    Dee

"When life's a biatch, be a horny dog"

Amps: Marshall JVM 410H w/ Plexi Cap mod, Choke Mod & Negative Feedback Removal mod, 4x12", Behringer GMX110, Amplitube 3/StealthPedal

Half a dozen custom built/bastardized guitars all with EMG's, mostly 85's, Ibanez Artwood acoustic & Yamaha SGR bass, Epiphone Prophecy SG, Vox Wah, Pitchblack tuner plus assorted pedals, rack gear etc. for home studio use.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

The absolute most is probably Elton John: Goodbye Yellow Brick Road. Basically the first one I listened to over and over, pouring over the liner notes. After that, probably Pink Floyd, DSOTM.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

For me, that would be Mr Mister - Go On. That's when I became a musician - I started looking beyond power chords. Soon thereafter, I discovered Chick Corea Electric Band, their first album!
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

Which one (1) album You only get to take one with you to the Paradise Desert Island Resort (which comes complete with 1 favorite amph, 1 favorite guitar, etc) Choose1 album.

Quote Originally Posted by deeaa
    There's a couple with very special memory trips.

Judas Priest:British Steel. The first HeavyMetal album I heard, never forget the feeling.

The Cult: Love. What I listened to over and over again w/my first gf.

Counting Crowes: August and Everything After. What I listened to a lot when I was staying in N.Y.C. and wandering alone in the streets with nothing to do but look at the city and drink coffee with the winos.

Yeah, those three would be the tops in that respect.

Post Thanks / Like

I can't pick one. Someone once said "Music is the soundtrack to life" and I couldn't agree more. So many songs, so many memories.

I can take a shot at one of the first albums that I heard that blew my brains out though. Thats easy. Beastie Boys - Licensed to Ill. Still in my top 10 albums of all time list, and still in rotation at my place after 26 years or so.

I remember being absolutely blown away by the attitude of it all. Just listening to it made me feel like I was giving the world the finger.

Then of course, I discovered punk rock.

Post Thanks / Like

Metallica's And justice For All...

It' marks a turning point in my life. I recieved my first guitar shortly after buying it and this - we all know - was the beginning of a long long journey :-)

I still love this album and listen to it regular. With our first band we have covered the songs, at least we tried to, we have partied to the songs etc...

"A lot of people in the industry want to blame downloading for the state of the business. But I think if most music wasn't shit to begin with people wouldn't be downloading it for free," - Corey Taylor (Slipknot)

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here

In the summer to top all summers, just before my senior year in high school, I met a girl who played guitar. Dana. She liked Pink Floyd, Bruce Springsteen, and much more, but this album got plenty of play.
    She taught me more than a few chords, like how to get the most out of my special purpose! Those were some great days and nights... Then she moved to Connecticut.
    Last edited by Tig; November 25th, 2010 at 01:07 PM.
    Guitar: Gibson SG Standard Natural Burst, Squier CV 50's Tele, Hell Guitars No. 2, Squier CV 50's Strat, Reverend Club King 290, Taylor 522e 12-Fret mahogany,
    Squier Vintage Modified Jaguar Bass Short Scale
    Amp: Fender Super Champ X2 Head, Egnater Tweaker 15, Fender Mustang I, Acoustic B20 1x12 bass amp
    Pedal: Budda Budwah wah, Wampler Ego Compressor, Electro-Harmonix Soul Food, Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive, Wampler Velvet Fuzz, Seven Sisters Eve Tremolo, TC Electronics Gravy Tri Chorus & Vibrato, Catalinbread Echorec, TC Electronic Alter Ego 2 Delay, Hardwire Supernatural Ambient Verb, MXR Carbon Copy, Catalinbread RAH, Big Muff Pi with Tone Wicker, BYOC Mouse 2.0 Distortion, BYOC Boost/OD-2

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    Which one (1) album You only get to take one with you to the Paradise Desert Island Resort (which comes complete with 1 favorite amph, 1 favorite guitar, etc) Choose1 album.
    That's a different question. For that one, I have to say Abbey Road. That is how I have always answered that question.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Humm. Man, the most? One album??

Gotta be "As the Eternal Cowboy" by Against Me!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/As_the_eternal_cowboy

For years we started every party with

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5F7BpMDPd8U

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sunvalleylaw
    That's a different question. For that one, I have to say Abbey Road. That is how I have always answered that question.
    You're right it is a different question. I was merely trying to get it narrowed down to 1 album that had the most impact and triggered the strongest memories.

Post Thanks / Like

Probably this one (sorry for the huge pic):

I heard this one and Metallica's Ride the Lightning one right after the other. The more melodic nature of the Dokken album appealed to me more, but the energy and speed of the Metallica one had an impact too. From that point on, I was a metalhead. Probably was the spring of 1983.

I always thought that if I was a relief pitcher, "Don't Close Your Eyes" from that album would be the song I would come out from the bullpen to. One of those songs that makes you want to break stuff.
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like

Kiss - Destroyer.....this was my first introduction to "Heavy" music.
    Guitars: 2002 Les Paul Studio Limited Color's Edition | 2004 Greg Bennett Avion Les Paul Copy | S101 Telecaster project | 2004 Washburn D46 Acoustic

Amplification: Epiphone Valve Jr. Head and Cabinet | VOX AD30VT

Effects: Rocktron Delay | BBE Free Fuzz | Big Muff Pi | Boss Flanger | Bad Monkey | Jekyll and Hyde | Cry Baby Wah | Boss EQ | Behrenger TU300 Tuner |

Post Thanks / Like

"Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band" came out in my senior year in high school. I had never heard music that is so involving before. It was also one of the early stereo recordings and I listened to every nuance of the songs over and over.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by aeolian
    "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band" came out in my senior year in high school. I had never heard music that is so involving before. It was also one of the early stereo recordings and I listened to every nuance of the songs over and over.
    Ya, that's a really good one for me. It brought many hours of contemplation and awe.

Post Thanks / Like

Albert King "I'll Play The Blues For You". This is the music that made me want to play guitar. Love all music but first love is The Blues
    Guitars: '06 Les Paul Classic Goldtop, '07 SG classic, '79 ES335TD Blond, '88 Telecaster, '08 Custom Shop Strat 57 NOS, Framus '69 Goucho Acoustic, '72 Framus Caravelle hollow body, '09 Hagstrom Swede, '10 Ibanez AG95 and '69 Heit

Amps: Fender Blues Deluxe Tweed, Marshall JCM 900 50W full stack, Roland Cube 20XL and '69 Checkmate!

Pedals: (all DVM) Tremolo, "Rabid Rodent" distortion, "Zonkin Yellow Screamer" OD/Boost, "Gee Ain't That Swell" volume swell, and "Mega Muff" fuzz

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast