Thread: Best moderate priced acoustic

Post Thanks / Like

Question Best moderate priced acoustic

I'm looking to pick up a nice quality acoustic guitar for myself. I would like to stay under $500.00 closer to three would be better. I will be using it mostly for writting and playing small rooms. The last acoustic I had was a 000 sized. I really liked it but would like something with a fuller sound. I will be doing a lot of finger picking. And of course chord playing. I really like the sound that Paul Westerburg gets from his. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.
    It's very dependent on your state of mind. And your emotional state as well. And a lot of it comes pouring out, you don't really have that much control with it.

Eric Clapton

Post Thanks / Like

There are loads. What does Paul Westerburg use? I'd say stick with a 000 or OM style but go for a big sounding one. My Blueridge BR-43 has tons of volume and projection and much more touch sensitivity than any dreadnought I've played. There's a thread somewhere nearby where I listed a ton of brands I'd be happy to play. It might pay to shop around a bit as sample variation can be a huge factor in cheaper acoustics.

Found it!

http://www.thefret.net/showpost.php?...9&postcount=27
    Electric: Fat strat > Korg PB > TS7 > DS1 > DD-20 > Cube 60 (Fender model)

Acoustic: Guitar > microphone > audience

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

The various made in Canada brands that Godin makes (like Art & Lutherie, Seagull) are great quality acoustics for the price.

Here's mine: http://www.thefret.net/showthread.php?t=15674
    Guitar: Gibson SG Standard Natural Burst, Squier CV 50's Tele, Hell Guitars No. 2, Squier CV 50's Strat, Reverend Club King 290, Taylor 522e 12-Fret mahogany,
    Squier Vintage Modified Jaguar Bass Short Scale
    Amp: Fender Super Champ X2 Head, Egnater Tweaker 15, Fender Mustang I, Acoustic B20 1x12 bass amp
    Pedal: Budda Budwah wah, Wampler Ego Compressor, Electro-Harmonix Soul Food, Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive, Wampler Velvet Fuzz, Seven Sisters Eve Tremolo, TC Electronics Gravy Tri Chorus & Vibrato, Catalinbread Echorec, TC Electronic Alter Ego 2 Delay, Hardwire Supernatural Ambient Verb, MXR Carbon Copy, Catalinbread RAH, Big Muff Pi with Tone Wicker, BYOC Mouse 2.0 Distortion, BYOC Boost/OD-2

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Lots of good ones to try. Epiphone Masterbuilts are decent in that category, Seagulls, used Martins, Blueridge, etc. Different sizes too as Markb says. I think you have to go just play a bunch and see what you like.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Default It all really depends

On if you are going to mic or plug in and also just how much projection you want, there ar eso many decent models out ther to choose from these days as MarkB said its always best to go with your heart and your ears and go out and play many guitars and even when one captures you I'd hunt some more till you are sure as to what you want.
    And then you can also look to the used market there are many great guitars out there that are way below price , like Larrivee's and such that you can't go wrong there either.Good hunting and thats the fun part paying is where it gets a little harder sometimes.lou

Post Thanks / Like

One of the "best bang" out there are the Alvarez guitars. Also check out the Carvin acoustics.......simply amazing guitars!

http://www.carvinguitars.com/cobalts/
    LIVE AND LET ROCK!!

Post Thanks / Like

Don't forget about Washburn. They make some great acoustics in the $300 to $500 price range. I've played a couple that had great, well balanced tone, and they all played like more expensive guitars.

I also would throw in a vote for Seagull. Fantastic tones for the price.
    Guitars:
    Fender 2006 MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS in 3TS
    Ibanez RG 570 with a bridge Invader
    ESP M II Deluxe with a Tune-o-Matic bridge
    Eleanor, the magical, mystical Road Worn wonder Tele
    Blackstar HT Club 40

Post Thanks / Like

I had a Martin J-15, then a Martin 000-15. They sounded good and were reasonably priced. But one day I played an inexpensive Ibanez AW30ECENT a local shop. It sounded wonderful and even had Fishman electronics and a tuner built in. They gave me a good deal, about $250 if I recall. That was about 2 years ago. 'Looks like MF has 'em listed at $349 these days
    http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/p...ELAID=44990117

Post Thanks / Like

Washburn D-10. One of the best bang-for-your-buck acoustics going for under $500. Just sayin' (see signature)
    Electrics: Hagstrom Ultra Swede (Gold Eagle Burst) Gretsch 5120 Electromatic (Orange) Custom Nashville Blackout Telecaster (Black, Stat mid/neck p'ups; Lil Puncher (Modern Vintage) bridge p'up; Wilkinson Compensated Bridge w/ 3 brass saddles, Warmoth Vintage Modern Birdseye Maple Neck) Fender MIM Stratocaster (Blue Agave, Rosewood Fretboard, Fender Tex-Mex p'ups; GFS Trem/Block Kit) Highland Spitfire (semi-hollow, flame maple top w/ bubinga inlay)
    Acoustics:Washburn D10CEQSB, Yamaha FG160E
    Bass: Westone Spectrum ST, Warwick Rockbass Corvette Basic Active
    Amps: Vox NT15H/V112NT Night Train, Peavey Bandit 112, Hartke HyDrive 210C Bass Amp, Vox DA5

Post Thanks / Like

ALL my acoustics combined are less than $500.
    I have a Yamaha, a large jumbo model with gold hardware and white binding on the fret board and around the spruce top. Beautiful, jazzy tone and great playability. Got it years ago for well under $100 factory refurbished.
    I also have an imported Harmony made about ten years ago that sounds very good, but the neck it a bit harder to play than the Yamaha.
    I have a 1960 Goya (Imported by Martin) that is a beautiful sounding guitar, and very well made. I paid about $40 for it about 30 years ago. I just bought a 1939 Harmony archtop for about $140 that is currently being given a bit of TLC, but it is a great old guitar.
    The solution to your problem is to play as many different guitars as you can, buy what sounds good and feels right in your hands. You might be surprised.
    mark

Post Thanks / Like

I still vouch for the Godins (A & L and Seagull) in that price range. I'm still totally satisfied with my A & L dread, and feel confident that I couldn't do any better for $250 (or perhaps even more).