Thread: Old Amps

Post Thanks / Like

Default Old Amps

How many here remember how hard it was to get hold of a decent bass amp in 1965 through 1968? They were really expensive, and often not all that good. The best I remember from that time is the Sunn 200S w/2X15 JBL D140 cabinet. It cost around $2K which was the cost of a new compact car then, actually more than a VW Beetle. The Traynor YBA-3A with 8X10 was also really good, probably better than the 200S. Ampeg had yet to do the venerable and iconic SVT; same with the landmark Acoustic 360. The Fender Bassman was not too good, and the Ampeg Portaflex was marginal at best in a gym up against a loud (they all were loud) drummer.

There were the Guild Thunderbass and the Fender Dual Showman, neither of which would thump your chest but cost upward of a kilobuck. The Thomas Organ Vox's were a joke for bass. And all the hippie guitaristas kept piling up cabinets higher and higher. Silvertone marketed a solid-state 100W 6X10 piggyback that sounded pretty good but wasn't around for long. The Kustom tuck 'n roll monsters were loud but grotesque sounding.

I do believe bass amps are a lot better and a lot less expensive since around 1995. Even since then things have improved on the low end.

This is my unrequested observation. $2K in 2010 buys a lot of bass rig, but not much of a new car.

Post Thanks / Like

I did not start playing bass until the late 70's and by then Sunn, Ampeg, Fender, Peavey, & Roland.

My 1st Bass amp was a EMC 1x15 combo I think it was 50 watts.
    I then upgraded to a Peavey Centurion 100 watt SS head and 2x15 cab.
    I then upgraded to a Peavey Centurion 300 watt SS head with 6 band EQ and
    2 - 2x15 cabs and then eventually added 2 Electro Voice stage monitors for larger gigs.
    Maxi...................

Bootsy Collins:
    I pledge allegiance to the funk, the whole funk, and nothing but the funk, so help me James, Sly and George, Amen!!

Guitars: 2010 American Special HSS Strat, 2010 CIC Squire CV ThinLine Tele, & 2006 MIM FSR Strat.

Basses: 1979 Peavey T-40, 2007 Ibanez SR 500, 2013 Ibanez SR375F, 2013 CIJ Fender Geddy Lee Jazz Bass, 2014 Sadowsky Will Lee VI, & 2014 Sadowsky Will Lee Metro V

Amps: Mesa Boogie BASS STRATEGY:Eight:88, Aguliar DB 4X12, Augilar DB 751, Genz Benz CTR500-210T/Focus 1X15 CAB, Fender Hot Rod Deville 410, VHT Deliverance 60/VHT 2X12 fat Bottom Cab, & VOX DA20

Effects: Boss ME-25, MXR Custom Baddass 78, MXR Custom Baddass modified O.D., Vox Joe Satriani Satchurator, MXR Phase 90, MXR Bass Chorus Deluxe/Octave Deluxe/Bass Compressor/Envelope Filter/, Way Huge Pork Loin

Post Thanks / Like

Yep, bass amph technology has gone stratospheric in the last decade or so.

Big, light, and cheap power, lighter and more efficient drivers (neo), and cab design have transformed bass amphs.

For $2,000 you could get a rig that will level a small village and not break your back carrying it.

Post Thanks / Like

Yup, but the only thing that still sucks is there has ALWAYS been a shortage of good bassists !!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by otaypanky
    Yup, but the only thing that still sucks is there has ALWAYS been a shortage of good bassists !!!

Uh oh....
    Less golf, more saxophone

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by otaypanky
    I guess that total depends on where you reside. LOL
    Maxi...................

Bootsy Collins:
    I pledge allegiance to the funk, the whole funk, and nothing but the funk, so help me James, Sly and George, Amen!!

Guitars: 2010 American Special HSS Strat, 2010 CIC Squire CV ThinLine Tele, & 2006 MIM FSR Strat.

Basses: 1979 Peavey T-40, 2007 Ibanez SR 500, 2013 Ibanez SR375F, 2013 CIJ Fender Geddy Lee Jazz Bass, 2014 Sadowsky Will Lee VI, & 2014 Sadowsky Will Lee Metro V

Amps: Mesa Boogie BASS STRATEGY:Eight:88, Aguliar DB 4X12, Augilar DB 751, Genz Benz CTR500-210T/Focus 1X15 CAB, Fender Hot Rod Deville 410, VHT Deliverance 60/VHT 2X12 fat Bottom Cab, & VOX DA20

Effects: Boss ME-25, MXR Custom Baddass 78, MXR Custom Baddass modified O.D., Vox Joe Satriani Satchurator, MXR Phase 90, MXR Bass Chorus Deluxe/Octave Deluxe/Bass Compressor/Envelope Filter/, Way Huge Pork Loin

Post Thanks / Like

Gndboy, it looks like you're new around here and play bass (woo hoo!) to boot.

I haven't seen an introductory posting from you for new players yet.

(It wouldn't be surprising if I missed something though...)

So, if it hasn't been done already, I'll say welcome to The Fret.

Very nice to have another low-end brother around!

And the requisite, what gear do have?

Pics??