Thread: Recording with my Phone

Post Thanks / Like

Default Recording with my Phone

Hey kids! I've been messing around with my new HTC Desire. I've been trying to use it to record my guitar playing. It comes with a voice recording app, but the app only records at 8000Hz and uses the AMR file format. There is a program called Tape Machine that will record up to 44.1KHz and can save in WAV, FLAC, or Ogg Vorbis. The free version limits the clips to 1 minute and can't save in Ogg. So for this test I had it save in WAV and I used Audacity to trim it and convert it to an MP3. Let me know what you think!

In My Dreams (oh no, not again!) phone test

I think it does a better job of capturing the true sound of my amph than my camera does. Unfortunately, it's also picking up all the string noise. I can probably work around that. The phone was set up about 3.5' away, somewhat off axis. The noise making chain was as follows:

Rev. Rawk->DK2M->Thesis 96 OD->DD-6->JCA20H
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like

Cool! Sounded pretty life-like, though, as you say, there was a lot of strumming that came through too. I personally find that kind of annoying with electric guitar recordings, but I know you don't like it either.

Good start on recording and nice playing!
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    Does anyone read the original post?
    Guitars: Gibson LP Studio, MIA Fender Precision, Carvin C350
    Amps: Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 + Avatar B212 / Genzler 12-3, Acoustic B20
    Pedals: Pod HD500X, Diamond Compressor, Tech 21 VT Bass, Sonic Research Turbo Tuner

Post Thanks / Like

I've got a little table in my office that I put the phone on. I was sitting to the left of it. My amph was to the right. I've got enough cord that I can get behind the phone and less likely to be picked up by the mic. The only good thing about that plinking is that you can tell that I'm actually playing it
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds very good, and nice song selection!

Post Thanks / Like

I am surprised by the quality. It sounds very dynamic and one can really feel the touch you give it while playing. Süper cool and definitely a great tool to capture ideas on the fly!
    "A lot of people in the industry want to blame downloading for the state of the business. But I think if most music wasn't shit to begin with people wouldn't be downloading it for free," - Corey Taylor (Slipknot)

Post Thanks / Like

Sounded cool for a phone recording! I've been doing the same thing since I got my iPhone a while back. I'm just using the built in voice recorder app. Great for "taking notes" musically speaking when jamming.

Post Thanks / Like

That sounded really good Rev!
    What an awesome way to do quick and dirty recordings, and have decent sound quality.

Puts my little phone to shame
    Gearlist:
    Electric: Ibanez 'AS103', Fender Dlx Nash Pwr Tele, Fender Squier '62 JV Strat, Squier '51, Squier 60's Classic Vibe Strat, Epi Elite LP Studio, Hagstrom Swede Acoustic: Larrivee LV-03RE, A&L AMI, Yamaha FG340-T Bass: Yamaha BB 450 Amps: Roland JC-120, JC-50, Peavey Classic 30, Fender Super Champ XD Pedals: Marshall Guv'nor Plus, Danelectro Cool Cat Drive, Transparent Overdrive, Digitech Digiverb, Bad Monkey, Ibanez TS-9, Boss AC-2, CE-5, CS-2, DD-3, DF-2, DS-1, FV-100, GE-7, OC-2, PSM-5, SD-1, TU-2, DVM~BYOC 'Lush Puppy' Chorus

Post Thanks / Like

Cool idea! I haven't tried to record any audio on my phone yet. I have the HTC MyTouch 4G. It makes sense that your Android phone records in the AMR audio format since this is the codec that's used for alot of mobile voice recording, and telephony, etc. The company that I work for created the mutlimedia software for Android that is used for audio/video playback and recording. We didn't make this recording app but that app is using our multimedia subsystem. I'm not certain if there are other audio codec formats it might support since AMR is the most common one for recording voice.
    --Jim
    Electrics: Hamer Newport, Fender Clapton Strat, Ibanez AF86, Line6 Variax 700
    Acoustic Guitars: Taylor 514CE, Martin J40-M
    Dobro: Regal "Black Lightning Dobro"
    Mandolin: Morgan Monroe Mandolin
    Amps: Egnater Rebel 30, Vox AD120VTX, Roland Cube 60
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page...?bandid=301718

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Rev thats a great sounding guitar tone! Your phone seems to have a really good mic.
    I can't say that I've given up on a flanger cause I've never liked the effect either. I also can't say the same about Tremolo. I hate them both equally. - Tone2TheBone 2009